Oct 2012
    20yo... ilang beses na kaya na baha mga oldies.. 😅

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post

that is for them to hide, and for you-the-buyer, to find out!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    may nabili din kumpare ko small body na toyota..na naka park lang dun sa garahe ng kap[it bahay namin.small body 90's 1.3 ang makina.so madami ng kailngan i repair pero kumpleto pa ang mga interior .umaandar.

nakuha niya ng 15k .tapos inayos ginastusan ng 35k pumatak ng 50K ung car..

ayun sariwa na ulit ung car

4. Join Date
    Mar 2017
    If you know a mechanic, bring him/her along to do a compression test. It will tell you something about the condition of the engine which you can't see.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by makinao View Post
    If you know a mechanic, bring him/her along to do a compression test. It will tell you something about the condition of the engine which you can't see.
    The 2E and 4A-FE will be fine after 20 years... As long as proper oil changes were done and the engine did not over heat.

In case engine goes bad, mas mura na surplus engine kesa complete rebuild

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    The 2E and 4A-FE will be fine after 20 years... As long as proper oil changes were done and the engine did not over heat.

In case engine goes bad, mas mura na surplus engine kesa complete rebuild
    yan ang problem, people do oil changes but do not change other items that need changing til a breakdown happens.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post

Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    that is for them to hide, and for you-the-buyer, to find out!
    That's why I don't wanna buy a used vehicle na I don't personally know the owner.

When I sold my car 18 yr old car in 2014, I made sure that the car had no issues. Ayokong may masabi sakin yung buyer.

The worst flooding it was driven on when it was fairly new was a little above gutter deep somewhere in Pasong Tamo (very notorious for floods) Also, I think that's one reason why the buyer wanted the car kasi sure na never flooded.

Maybe it helps minimize the risk if you buy from a first owner who live in areas that don't flood?

8. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    If you are buying a car that is more than a decade old, i think it's much preferrable to look for a unit that came from an original owner who bought that car as brand new rather than buying it from a 2nd, 3rd owner or so on because of the different ways in how they used and maintained the car during the respective periods in which they owned them. However, for a car that old, it's becoming increasingly rare to have sight on a unit that is still originally owned and not all sellers are good at keeping them. That is why we check their conditions first and pick the ones that have low mileage with none or just little issues, if any exists, so that we won't have a unit that can give us a headache or one that can make holes in our pockets. As much as possible, choose something that is preserved rather than going for the ones that are just restored.

Btw, this article might help you in looking for an old car. Very nice to read, indeed.

Restoration vs Preservation - Restoring a Car | Hagerty Articles

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    Bought a 10-yr-old car a long time ago during my young and stupid days. It leaked oil and ATF and the radiator was full of rust.

Over 7 years of ownership it cost me:
    2 surplus alternators
    1 surplus rear wheel bearing assembly
    3 engine supports
    1 new compressor
    1 surplus transmission
    3 power window assemblies
    2 surplus fan motors
    1 surplus servo
    1 radiator overhaul

That beast taught me a lot about cars and I still kinda miss it. The next two cars I bought were all brand new though
    that must have been a dog of a car!
    what car, po?
    ex-taxi? heh heh.

but seriously,
    a 1997s car, even if kept in a museum from day 1, will have some issues. parts deteriorate, just by being there, even if the car isn't used.
    but i would rather buy a museum-ed car, than a daily or weekend driver.

in those days, 1997s, there's the corolla gli, sentra ex or ss...
    and efi models usually age better than carb'ed cars.
    Last edited by dr. d; September 12th, 2017 at 09:49 PM.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    but seriously,
    a 1997s car, even if kept in a museum from day 1, will have some issues. parts deteriorate, just by being there, even if the car isn't used.
    but i would rather buy a museum-ed car, than a daily or weekend driver.

in those days, 1997s, there's the corolla gli, sentra ex or ss...
    and efi models usually age better than carb'ed cars.
    Yeah this is natural.

Parts do really deteriorate, though in two ways. Either because of use or because of time. When a part needs to be replaced, original ones are still to look for. Just an assurance kung gusto mo talaga mapatagal ang life ng oto.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast