New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines



Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 76
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    49
    #1
    Hi guys. Any inputs po ng mga risks on buying an old car.?

    Any suggestions po kung may kotse pa ba na reliable kung gnyan ng katanda. Thanks

    And if meron. How much kaya pagawain.

    Sent from my F3216 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

  2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    46,914
    #2
    AE101 Corolla. I sold my 96 Corolla in 2014 with no problems. It's practically indestructible.

    I only had issues with the power steering when it was a decade old, but that was easily fixed (athough we got the car brand new)

    Issue sa old car e you do not know the history.

    Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

  3. Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    655
    #3
    Same here. I recently sold my '91 Small body Corolla in a very good condition. It was my daily driver to and from work.

    That buddy of mine is in good hands now, he's being used as a school service for the grandchildren of the good man who bought it.

    About sa risks, if hindi ka familiar sa mga dapat icheck sa vehicle. Magdala ka ng trusted mechanic na sya mag ccheck. Tapos bayaran mo nalang yung service nila sa pag sama sayo.

  4. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    3,059
    #4
    The oldest car I bought was 14 years old, a toyota corolla, swertihan lang siguro, kasi di naman ako masyado nagastusan sa paayos back then. Hindi rin naman ako itinirik o nag overheat man lang. Mas sumablay pa nga yung honda ko na 5 years old, tumirik sa EDSA, may nag fail na electronic part.

  5. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    3,059
    #5
    Yun palang 97 corolla ko, nakakasalubong ko pa dito sa amin hanggang ngayon, same subd lang pala kami ng nakabili. 20 years old na nga pala yan ngayon.

    Quote Originally Posted by arvs18 View Post
    Same here. I recently sold my '91 Small body Corolla in a very good condition. It was my daily driver to and from work.

    That buddy of mine is in good hands now, he's being used as a school service for the grandchildren of the good man who bought it.

    About sa risks, if hindi ka familiar sa mga dapat icheck sa vehicle. Magdala ka ng trusted mechanic na sya mag ccheck. Tapos bayaran mo nalang yung service nila sa pag sama sayo.

  6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5,562
    #6
    Bought a 10-yr-old car a long time ago during my young and stupid days. It leaked oil and ATF and the radiator was full of rust.

    Over 7 years of ownership it cost me:
    2 surplus alternators
    1 surplus rear wheel bearing assembly
    3 engine supports
    1 new compressor
    1 surplus transmission
    3 power window assemblies
    2 surplus fan motors
    1 surplus servo
    1 radiator overhaul

    That beast taught me a lot about cars and I still kinda miss it. The next two cars I bought were all brand new though
    Last edited by JohnM; September 11th, 2017 at 06:11 PM.

  7. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,068
    #7
    For 20 year old cars (or even older), my dad had a simple rule.

    Check the body.

    The car is old so don't expect to much... Everything can be replaced (suspension, engine and interior), but once the body is gone, malaki na gagastusin mo for repairs.

    Personally, my oldest purchased car was a box type (I used it in college).

    Longest car I had was a '93 Corolla (big body)

    If I were to buy a '90s car now, its either a Corolla or an FX/Adventure

    Sent from Zenfone 3 on Tsikot mobile app

  8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    38,463
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpaulz18 View Post
    Hi guys. Any inputs po ng mga risks on buying an old car.?

    Any suggestions po kung may kotse pa ba na reliable kung gnyan ng katanda. Thanks

    And if meron. How much kaya pagawain.

    Sent from my F3216 using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    i bought a 14 year old car with good provenance.
    no surprises, even after 2 years' daily use.

    i sold my 13 year old car to a friend, some years back. it is 20 years old now, and buyer friend says the car is OK.

    but i feel that my experience is exceptional. for the majority of old cars, they promise headaches and surprises.
    it all boils down to how previous owner treated the car.

  9. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    49
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i bought a 14 year old car with good provenance.
    no surprises, even after 2 years' daily use.

    i sold my 13 year old car to a friend, some years back. it is 20 years old now, and buyer friend says the car is OK.

    but i feel that my experience is exceptional. for the majority of old cars, they promise headaches and surprises.
    it all boils down to how previous owner treated the car.
    What car did you bought sir?

    Sent from my F3216 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

  10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    38,463
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpaulz18 View Post
    What car did you bought sir?

    Sent from my F3216 using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    ang walang kamatayang corolla altis.
    it had almost 100K km on the odometer.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Buying a 20 year old car