New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    my friend's car was overhauled 4 months ago. A civic 97 already run for more than 2000 kms. Any comment? Is there any disadvantage in the engine? He plans to change oil after running 4000Kms. What do u think, is this a good idea? Please help.... Thnaks

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Hello Jun?

Im sorry i didnt get the problem...what was the problem of your friends car?
    If its overhauled, then it has to be broken in...go through "break in" period.
    These needed to set the new journal bearing, the cam shafts, and the valves to set.... break in is to slowly set the engine into a regular duty cycle. That is why when you break in an engine, you should not stay longer in a certain RPM, to avoid "harmonic wear", cause by movement in a constant RPM....etc etc...

Like a new car, you change oil in 1000km...to flush out metal that were taken during braekin//...

Hope this helped...

BEN ...OC plus racing

3. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    hi sir marvel,

thanks for the comment.
    actually there is no problem with my friend's car. I was only thinking that he has to change oil after running 1000 kms. right now, his reading is more than 2000kms already. ofcourse the car runs smoothly but what i wanna know is, is there any side effect of not changing his oil after running 1000kms or 2? cause as far as i know, after break in for let say 1000kms, you have to chnage oil. Hope you can explain more regarding this. again thank you.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    pareng jun,

the reason why after overhaul have to go to a breakin period is to set the bearings, valves, and piston rings. To set means to gradually break these parts to normal operation service. When breaking in an engine, drivier whould avoid running at a certrain rpm for along period of time. This is beacuse when the engine is running, it creates harmonic viration, tending the ylinder to wear also in harmonic positions. To even even out these harmonic break in wear, one should drive the car in different variation of RPM....

The 1000Km change oil is used to flush out the oil, and iron bits that are chipped off form a newly overhauled engine...thus starting a regular service cycle of your engine.

Ok Jun? I hoped this can help

Marvel67

bagong overhaul matagal ichangeoil