New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    hello,

something i found over the internet:

One Very Simple Alternator Test:
    1) Start Car and run at a normal idle.
    2) Connect a Voltmeter Directly Across the battery Terminals.
    3) Turn on Headlights to High Beam.
    4) check the battery Voltage.
    *** The Battery voltage Should read between about 13.8 to 14.2 volts. (Possibly up to 14.5 Volts.)
    5) Increase motor speed to about 1500 RPM. The Alternator should now produce a battery voltage between 14.2 and 14.6
    Volts.
    *** If it is Lower than 14.2 volts, the Alternator probably has one or more Bad Diodes.
    6) Now, Maintain the 1500 RPM and Turn off the Headlights. Run this test for One Full Minute.
    "The Battery Voltage should NEVER Exceed about 14.8 Volts".

i know that numbers 1 to 4 and 6 are correct but is #5 true as well? i tried this on my car but the voltage stays at around 13.9 to 14 even if i rev the engine.

thanks!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    i have a surplus pajero with its bad alternator problem:

i bought new battery, after 3 weeks it went out..
    i started to check after recharging the battery. At initial point, 12.6 volts registered on the voltmeter, after starting it loads up to 13.8 volts when i increase the RPM it only registered for the maximum of 13.9 volts. I turned on headlights and aircondition, now the idle voltage becomes 12.4...

What must me the problem??? it was newly installed alternator belt but the problem is still there. I need some advice before i go purchase an expensive alternator.. thnks

alternator question...