New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    gd day fellow tsikoteers...

my accord is actually in its stock condition (except the "hilamos" made more than 4 years ago and those replaced parts due to regular wear and tear).. it has never been involved in any major accident, more on scratch or bumper accident only..

about a month ago, I noticed that few (about 4 or 5) small bubbles coming out on its roof (I know that its the usual problem of honda cars of that age just like what happened to my civic)..

my query is, if you are the owner of that accord, and considering its present condition and age, not to mention its higher registration fee compared to crv, are you still going to have it painted "scrape" or just a mere "hilamos"? or is it still worth to keep or just dispose it? BTW, I already checked if the affected parts if it needs body repair, luckily its not that worse yet ...

if you will ask me if I prefer to keep it for good, honestly, i entertained the idea to dispose it long time ago but since its the car which my wife is more comfortable to drive with, i did not pursue it although personally I am still thinking about it specially now that it has paint problem.

having said, i wish you could share your opinion/s and help me decide what will be the best option to my query... TIA

regards..

phezthie

2. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    If you love the car and it has a sentimental value, just restore it. It is actually nice to see old cars looking new again, sometimes it looks better than the new ones on the road actually. But if it's just another car for you, just dispose of it.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    ^thanks for your prompt input. actually i have 3 old honda cars and all them have sentimental value distinct from the other. but just the same, if to dispose it is really the best option at hand, i will..

I hope different views to guide me will be forthcoming specially those coming from accord enthusiasts. again, many thanks...

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GodziRRa! View Post
    If you love the car and it has a sentimental value, just restore it. It is actually nice to see old cars looking new again, sometimes it looks better than the new ones on the road actually. But if it's just another car for you, just dispose of it.
    +1 what he said.

If you see your car as just a "car" an object or tool, then with the newer technology in fuel efficiency, comfort, safety, reliability, environmental friendliness etc. then an old car is always at a disadvantage.

I on the other hand have always wanted a CD5 Accord since high school, an now I have it, I know and willingly spend impractical amounts of money to restore it. I'll keep doing this until I get tired or fed up with all the crap that needs to be fixed and fixed again and give up, then I'll go sell it for a younger model

Until then, my secret bank account, that my wife doesn't know about, will remain funded for my future plans to restore my Accord

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    If in excellent running condition pa might as well have it restored na lang. Super ganda ng body ng accord na yan compared to the newer models IMO. Its nice to see older models na mas gwapo sa newer models.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    #1: Choose 2-3 reputable/you know BRP (body repair and paint) shops and get an opinion (not that i'm saying you would follow it) if to washover or scrape. (Note that you would be able to determine which of both to take depending on the gravity of rust/work to be done on the car) Get an estimate of how much it'll take to washover or scrape the car. Let's face it, cost of repairs/maintenance also prove vital in your decision if to retain the car or not.

#2: Take time to thoroughly think if you are to retain or dispose the car. Consider those that are important and relevant to you and the family (sentimental, reliability of the car, efficiency, etc) and the cost of having the car painted.

#3: If you so decide to retain the car, choose if to just perform a washover or scrape. (you should have known the answer to this since it was the first you considered) BUT if you decide not to retain the car, don't have it repainted --- even a washover. It does not make sense unless you are guaranteed that despite having it repainted/fixed, you'd get your target selling price and not lose money from it.

Hope this helps.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    IMO, if you have money to spend for upgrade, by all means do it. but if not, ill hang on the accord since you know its history and its still serving you well.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    many thanks for your inputs.... its seems the consensus is becoming clearer that having a scrape to metal painting is not advisable and the only reason to keep the car is its sentimental value and familiarity in performance.

thus, 95 accord exi no longer a for keep car and spend so much in its paint at this point, did i get it right??

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    yes, sentimental value will only last until you get a much newer model.

accord 95 exi, is it worth to spend more on its paint? need your opinions pls...