New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    hi mga sirs...my wife is thinking of getting a 2nd hand 2001-2002 Civic (VTEC 3) budget: 330-360k...i have several questions po:

1. any issues? what to check when getting a 2nd hand unit?
    2. FC
    3. A/T Maintenance Cost
    4. Over-all ride/Comfort

thanks po in advance s mga inputs nyo po

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    i dont have one pero nakasakay na ako sa ganyan na vti-s

fc 15km/l daw pag sa highway so okei na po
    ride comfort okei naman:D wag lang icompare sa luxury cars:D
    sa bilis okei narin pero hindi siya binuild for speed

ang masasabi ko ito ay pang everyday car kasi mahina ang fuel consumption tapos mejo okei narin ang ride comfort tapos pag kailangan ng onteng bilis pag nagmamadali bibigyan ka naman kahit papaano wag lang iexpect na parang civic sir:D

sa issues an maintainance cost hindi ko po kayo masasagot sa issues klaseng wala naman akong naririnig:D

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    I've HEARD (you might need to research) that medyo masirain yung A/T transmissions ng 7th gen civics. I don't know how to check up on the unit you're buying though.

Overall, still a decent car pero I'd be thinking why super daming Altis from that era compared to the Civic (compared to this generation, baliktad naman).

FC should be decent.

AT maintenance will depend on the condition of your unit.

Ride comfort, I'll go with the Altis. Mas matagtag talaga ang civic - from the 6th gen up until the current.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    i have a '03 civic vti-s. plain vti models do not have airbag.

firm, but quiet ride. OK fuel economy. roomier inside than the previous generation civic. rather weak a/c but it's ok if you're the type na lamigin... quiet powerful in vtec form. oh, ride quality isn't all that different from the altis (surprise surprise), but i still prefer the handling and ride of the EK 1999 civic.

watch out for noisy belts, replaced radiators (points to previous overheat, the enemy of most honda engines), noisy a/c compressors, broken a/t. upon first start, the engine should purr like it was new. if sobrang ingay walk away.

medyo weak front suspension, but easy to fix naman. but if fixed properly, quite durable naman. for a 01 model i would expect some kalampag issues and use it to haggle the price down a bit. madali naman ipagawa yan, its not a terribly complicated setup.

do not pay more than 350k for a well kept model. 03-04-05s go for as little as 350-430 these days so try to haggle a bit.
    Last edited by voltscastillo; July 28th, 2009 at 01:14 PM.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by abcerase View Post
    hi mga sirs...my wife is thinking of getting a 2nd hand 2001-2002 Civic (VTEC 3) budget: 330-360k...i have several questions po:

1. any issues? what to check when getting a 2nd hand unit?
    2. FC
    3. A/T Maintenance Cost
    4. Over-all ride/Comfort

thanks po in advance s mga inputs nyo po

1. Issue is the gas tank, there is a recall order from Honda Phil. to recall those manufactured from 01 to 03, so you have to check with the previous owner if this has been corrected. Suspension is also important, this particular model's suspension is a bit "sirain" compared with the EK civics 96-00 models.

2. Fuel consumption is okay, averages 10 kms./litter.

3. A/t you should be on the lookout if the fluids are properly maintained.

4. Ride and comfort is okay, decent and presentable.

Good luck and happy shopping.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    thank you sirs sa mga reply nyo po!

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    the es civic has too many issues to mention. i'd recommend an altis instead.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    talaga po? ano pong mga issues?

9. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    I've got a Honda Civic '01, MT.. I suggest that you check the front suspension.. I already replaced shock absorbers, bushing, and stabilizer links.. It's more than two years since nagpalit ako, ok pa naman hanggang ngayon..

Isa pa na common problem is yung TDC sensor.. Once, my car suddenly stopped in the middle of EDSA.. After a while, nag-start naman ulit.. When I brought it to the casa, sinabi nila na yung TDC sensor ang papalitan.. It's been 3 years since then, wala na ulit problem..

Overall, ok naman yung performance ng car.. Part na talaga ng cars ang may masira once in a while lalo na pag medyo tumatanda na yung kotse..

10. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    * karuro
    ano po yun TDC sensor? pano ko po malalaman pag defective when we're about to buy?

* ejaydpogi
    recommend m po, 2002 altis n lang? very interesting po yun comment nyo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
2001-2002 Civic A/T (VTEC 3) 2nd Hand Buyer