New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Would authorized dealers ever dupe buyers?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely

7 28.00%
  • No way

3 12.00%
  • Some will, some won't

15 60.00%
  • Don't know

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Someone asked me if it was possible that an authorized car dealer would pass of Ondoy flooded cars as new. They said that several dealerships went under during the flood and the new cars on the floor were submerged. Would it be possible that some would clean them up and re-sell them as "new". What would happen to warranties in that kind of scenario?

What about those that sell pre-owned. Like PGA who someone said re-sold a porsche that was totalled and pretended it wasn't until the new buyer found out the hard way.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
    Someone asked me if it was possible that an authorized car dealer would pass of Ondoy flooded cars as new.
    I really want to get an Altis on the 1st quarter of 2010 and this is one of my concerns. I was told in another thread that Toyota Bicutan wasn't flooded but what if the factory where they source the cars were?

I do not trust dealerships at all because we already had an issue with Toyota Bel Air where we got the car that I am driving now. Is it reasonable to wait for 2011 to get a new car?

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Car dealers should have an extended warranty to lessen worries of would be buyers. Say fro 3 to 5 years (like Hyundai) or from 100,000 to 150,000 or even 200,000 kms.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
    Like PGA who someone said re-sold a porsche that was totalled and pretended it wasn't until the new buyer found out the hard way.
    Prudential na naman?! Will never ever trust that company.

As for passing off flooded cars as new, unless car brands would offer a buy back of flooded vehicles from their dealers, my guess is some of them will indeed try to sell them off as new. Heard about dealers doing so naman with display/demo cars, or slightly scratched or dented vehicles, so there is a chance they may do it for flooded units as well, if they had any.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    They said that the Mitsubishi Plant is in Cainta. Was it flooded? Did they have flooded cars?

6. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    of course, they wouldn't admit that their factories/plants were flooded. parang harakiri.

you'll just see it for yourself

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    If you are about to buy a car....wait for the 2010 models to come in.

Parang russian roulette if you buy a 2009 or older model right now.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Depends on the dealership and company policy.

For some, those without close supervision from the mother company, they disconnect the odometers on test units, para di halata na "used".

For others, they have a strict policy on the sale of used units and test units. Ford and Honda, as far as I know, sell test and demo units at a deep discount. Honda, furthermore, will give big discounts on brand new unsold stock... but getting to the Ford and Honda auctions is usually by invitation only. These two manufacturers, at least, might dispose of flood damaged stocks via auction. I don't know about the others... the plants in the Bicutan area and in Santa Rosa are on high ground... the flooding in Santa Rosa was only on the Bay side. So for those who have factories here, most of the damaged stock will be from flooded dealerships... which isn't very many cars compared to what they normally sell.

Kawawa ka lang if your car was in a flooded dealership for PMS during the typhoon...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    How true yung narining ko na one car dealership in Makati had 90+ cars submerged?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    AFAIK, most dealerships would normally buy their stock on credit using "floor stock financing" or an Letter of Credit. One of the requirements by the creditors is that the stock be insured and this normally covers flooding.

Some were saying Mitsu in Cainta was affected but it was said by the company that only the front was affected; also if you pass by that place, its already on the elevated portion of Cainta near Valley Golf at the foothills of Antipolo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Would an Authorized Car dealer pass off "flooded" cars as new?