New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    To those who pass by commonwealth, you may notice that there are now new huge permanent U-turn slots for those going from UP to elliptical, and those the ones coming from central, going to the side gate of UP.

I decided to use the once coming from central, since it would be easier to merge right towards the UP gate with 2 lanes shaved off.

Mukhang bukas naman, walang harang yung papasok.

Pagdating ko sa other side... p*!#!*!! may concrete barriers palang nakaharang sa exit!!

Buti napagkasya ko in between yung pickup.

Pero kung may mga nagtitrip doon at ginawang pang racing yung U-turn slot? o kaya kung may inaantok na gumamit noon pag gabi?

balita na sila the next day.

Isa na namang good job mula sa MMDA.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    fret no more hinde na si Bf ang MMDA chairman...hinde na kasalanan ng mga drivers pag bumangga sila sa mga concrete barriers na walang reflectorized...

good job to the new MMDA chairman at hinde matigas ang ulo at umaamin pag meron palpak sa project unlike yun nauna na wala ng ibang magaling at tama kundi siya.kahit obvious na palpak yun ginawa.

MMDA to make U-turn slots safer
    By Mike Frialde (The Philippine Star) Updated December 12, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - As part of its ongoing evaluation of the U-turn slots placed along major thoroughfares of the metropolis during the term of then Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) chairman Bayani Fernando, the agency now aims to make the U-turn slots safer for motorists.

Acting on orders of Chairman Oscar Inocentes, the MMDA’s Traffic Engineering Center is putting up directional signs 50 to 250 meters away, warning motorists that they are approaching a U-turn slot.

Inocentes also said the MMDA will install protruded solar-powered blinker lights on each of the U-turn slots.

“This is expected to lessen accidents, “ Inocentes said.

As an added safety measure, Inocentes also ordered the installation of rumble strips on parts of the road approaching the U-turn slots.

“These rumble strips are made of steel bars laid on the road and cause jerky movements on the vehicles to alert drunk and sleepy drivers especially during night time and avoid any unnecessary accident,” he said.

The MMDA is also trying to make the “pink fences” along the roads safer to motorists by placing reflectorized hazard markers on them.

Despite criticisms from motorists that the MMDA’s concrete U-turn slots are road hazards, the agency still maintains that U-turn slots are effective in decongesting Metro Manila.

Inocentes said that at present all the 38 U-turn slots put in place by the MMDA are now being evaluated.

Those found to be hazardous will be closed to prevent future mishaps while those that do not pose any danger will be enhanced further,” he said.

The 38 U-turn slots were placed by the MMDA along C-5 Road, EDSA, Quezon Avenue, and Commonwealth Avenue.
    Last edited by shadow; December 13th, 2009 at 09:02 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Read a similar article on the Manila Bulletin yesterday.

Inocentes claims to "know how motorists feel". We'll see in the next few months if that is a load of bull.

Hopefully some of the useless jeepney "terminals" (like the one across UP-Ayala technohub) would be cleared to compansate for the lost lanes from the u-turn slots.

EDIT: just passed by the said u-turn slot earlier. mukhang "misplaced" na yung isang concrete barrier. I wonder why...
    Last edited by scharnhorst; December 13th, 2009 at 10:17 AM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    They want to decongest Manila? Easy! Go after PUV's and their stupid illegal terminals.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ok here's one more. I've driving for one week in c5 southbound and everyday there is this bottleneck from j. Vargas up to kalayaan. Akala ko ba wala ng traffic because of the elevated u-turn slot ni BF. BTW, pati sa northbound ganun din. less than 2kms 30mins ang travel time. Syang talaga ang pera natin sa flyover na yun. Nasan naba yun smart traffic system of years ago where you have sensors before the intersections....buti nalang vp lang hinahabol niya.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jave View Post
    They want to decongest Manila? Easy! Go after PUV's and their stupid illegal terminals.
    also those who drive aggressively

Quote Originally Posted by afrasay View Post
    ok here's one more. I've driving for one week in c5 southbound and everyday there is this bottleneck from j. Vargas up to kalayaan. Akala ko ba wala ng traffic because of the elevated u-turn slot ni BF. BTW, pati sa northbound ganun din. less than 2kms 30mins ang travel time. Syang talaga ang pera natin sa flyover na yun. Nasan naba yun smart traffic system of years ago where you have sensors before the intersections....buti nalang vp lang hinahabol niya.
    wag na botohin yan, lalo na mga iba pang alam niyo corrupt officers.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    On some friday rush hour nights, I drive from manila to quezon city.

Can't help but compare Espanya and Q. ave during those times.

Yes, both are congested, but with stoplight-heavy Espanya, you stay in your lane, you eventually get there. Let the buses and jeeps and AUVs duel it out in the inner 2 lanes.

In Quezon avenue, it's a neverending barrage of gitgitan, bullying, merging, and swerving - especially when the road narrows for the U-turn slot. It's only smooth flowing when there's light traffic.

I have no love for either, but I especially despise the system in Quezon avenue.

The problem with u-turn slots is they're only effective if the road is wide enough... but even in commonwealth, the MMDA squanders lanes by making these useless jeepney terminals across the u-turn slots. Walang silbe e. for example the one across technohub - I've yet to see a jeep stop and drop off passengers there. And if they do? Why the person has to run the gauntlet of automobiles to get to the other side!

kabobohan talaga.

the last time I checked, the said U-turn slot still is "open" on the recieving side, but still "closed" on the outgoing end. stupid. stupid. stupid.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by scharnhorst View Post
    On some friday rush hour nights, I drive from manila to quezon city.

Can't help but compare Espanya and Q. ave during those times.

Yes, both are congested, but with stoplight-heavy Espanya, you stay in your lane, you eventually get there. Let the buses and jeeps and AUVs duel it out in the inner 2 lanes.

In Quezon avenue, it's a neverending barrage of gitgitan, bullying, merging, and swerving - especially when the road narrows for the U-turn slot. It's only smooth flowing when there's light traffic.

I have no love for either, but I especially despise the system in Quezon avenue.
    i agree w/ you in that sentiment sir.. ako din, na-stress ako pagdating ko sa quezon ave. been a long time na di ako napadaan dyan, college days ko pa ang last. nagulat na lang ako may mga U-turn barriers na pala.. ang hirap sa di sanay dumaan dyan.. nabubulaga na lang ako bigla.. gabi pa man din noon. ang hirap naman sa bandang right dami jeep.. sometimes bus.. once in a while humihinto. ... kapagod talaga!

re dyan sa c5-kalayaan elevated u-turn? IMO, walang silbi. super traffic pa din. bagay lang yan sa malalapad talaga na hi-way. better siguro kung fly-over na lang. tinipid siguro kaya elevated u-turn na lang... mahal daw kasi fly-over... haayyz..

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Additional two choke points along Quezon Avenue... one crossing Banawe, and the other under the overpass under some church. PUJ's and buses loading/unloading chaos in-between U-turn slots.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by afrasay View Post
    ok here's one more. I've driving for one week in c5 southbound and everyday there is this bottleneck from j. Vargas up to kalayaan. Akala ko ba wala ng traffic because of the elevated u-turn slot ni BF. BTW, pati sa northbound ganun din. less than 2kms 30mins ang travel time. Syang talaga ang pera natin sa flyover na yun.
    yup poor design yung elevated u turn... kung mag uturn ka ok... pero sobrang hassle sa mga dadaan sa baba (which is the majority)... biruin mo mag snake/swerve yung sa baba dahil sa mga pillars... you have to slow down, to around maybe 20kph specially kung may katabi kang vehicle... san dun ang essence ng better traffic flow...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
U turn slot nanaman!