New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    I have noticed in the last few months that smoked and tinted license plate covers have proliferated around the city. I think this practice should be banned. The only reason someone would want to cover their license plate is if theybdo not want to be identified for doing something which might mean that they have malicious intent. Imagine being a victim of a hit and run and you can't identify the vehicle since you cannot see its license plate. I was drivng last night in Makati when this Toyota Fortuner was driving recklessly and I can't make out his plate since it was heavily tinted. I also noticed some people have been attaching brackets on their front license plate so that it faces down and cannot be easily seen as well. Again, I am of the opinion that attaching these brackets should be stopped.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by K.I.L.L. View Post
    I have noticed in the last few months that smoked and tinted license plate covers have proliferated around the city. I think this practice should be banned. The only reason someone would want to cover their license plate is if theybdo not want to be identified for doing something which might mean that they have malicious intent. Imagine being a victim of a hit and run and you can't identify the vehicle since you cannot see its license plate. I was drivng last night in Makati when this Toyota Fortuner was driving recklessly and I can't make out his plate since it was heavily tinted. I also noticed some people have been attaching brackets on their front license plate so that it faces down and cannot be easily seen as well. Again, I am of the opinion that attaching these brackets should be stopped.
    Like in many other aspects, enforcement is the key issue here. Many car owners and drivers violate simply because they think they can get away with it (and usually, they are correct because enforcers rarely penalize them). And sometimes, these plate violations are done by people who know people and are well con-nected.

And who do these enforcers stop and penalize: the innocent new cars who don't have plates because LTO failed to plan the release of plates properly.

Perhaps when LTO issues new plates (new design) next year, they might as well standardize the mounting and no cover should be allowed. And have clear policy and implementation for commemorative plates and special plates.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    This is an old issue already, more rampant during the previous Administration. Unfortunately, enforcement has been getting more lax and lax again that more and more car sport the d*mn tinted plate covers.

The sad part about the system of law enforcement we have though is that the law enforcers either have to prioritize traffic management, thereby letting these types of violators go undisturbed, or they'll go and try to milk other more obvious and gullible prey.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Yup, there was a significant drive to apprehend, or at least stop and have the owners remove the tinted plates at some point. Don't see a lot of violators now as before, but yes, there seems to be some violators starting up again.

I think a key difference now is that a lot of enforcers are aware that this is a violation, thanks to the fairly recent campaign, including Makati. Maybe if by chance that there are enforcers, they could be pointed to the vehicle with tinted plate covers. They hopefully still know how to enforce this once pointed to another violator.

The previous tsikot thread on the issue for your reference: http://tsikot.com/forums/goon-squad-...r-tints-24938/

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by K.I.L.L. View Post

Well, it is illegal now ... but the reason for using such is not only limited to "malicious intent". I was one of the first ones who started using this style of plate covers many many years ago and my reason why simply "style".

As for the recent proliferation of tint plate covers, blame the police's inconsistent enforcement of the rules & law.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I am wondering why there is a need to cover license plates with sheet glass? Or tinted sheet glass? And why install those "bowing" brackets? What is the purpose of those brackets?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    I am wondering why there is a need to cover license plates with sheet glass? Or tinted sheet glass? And why install those "bowing" brackets? What is the purpose of those brackets?
    The same reason why we have fashion for clothes, etc. To be different/individual from the next car.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    To protect the plates, this is my purpose for having one although not dark-tinted.

Eh, what about this? I think this is worse than dark tinted glass plate covers. It is as if the plate number has been "deleted".

Sorry for the pic, hirap kumuha while driving.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Tiba merong batch ng Rizal plates na nangungupas talaga...Hindi ko lang alam kasama yang sa fortuner...usually nakikita ko starts with x...

10. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mateomarco View Post
    Tiba merong batch ng Rizal plates na nangungupas talaga...Hindi ko lang alam kasama yang sa fortuner...usually nakikita ko starts with x...
    Z plate na yan. Nakalimot ko na exact plate nya pero sure akong Z sya. Besides, yung ibang batch ng X plates buong plate ang nangungupas, eto letra lang wala sa kanya. Yung background buong buo pa.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Smoked and tinted license plate covers