The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    http://news.inq7.net/metro/index.php...d=49746&col=31

On Target : Rampant carjackings in Quezon City

First posted 03:08am (Mla time) Sept 10, 2005
    By Ramon Tulfo
    Inquirer News Service

Editor's Note: Published on Page A21 of the September 10, 2005 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

THERE HAVE BEEN MANY INCIDENTS of carjackings in Quezon City recently, and yet these have not been reported in the news.

Neither have the Quezon City police and the Traffic Management Group (TMG) done anything about it.

It seems the local police and TMG's "Task Force Limbas" are sleeping on their job.

Carjacking is the forcible taking of a car from its driver by armed men who stop the car on a deserted road during the late hours.
    It is different from "carnapping" or car theft in that in the latter, the vehicle is either parked or without a driver.

The carjackings take place at the Quezon Avenue underpass, crossing EDSA (at least three incidents); Quezon Ave. near Banawe (at least two incidents); dark streets in the areas around Morato and West Triangle; some parts of EDSA and Commonwealth or Don Mariano Marcos Avenue.

Other favorite hunting grounds of carjackers are the flyover from Libis going to Katipunan, and the underpass tunnel connected to the flyover.

Many carjackings have taken place in other parts of Metro Manila, especially Pasig, but it seems Quezon City is the epicenter of these incidents.

Carjackings take place between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m., when there are few vehicles on the road, but some incidents are known to have occurred even earlier.

The victims: A priest, some businessmen, a money changer, a couple with a daughter (whose father was roughed up in front of mother and daughter), and another couple.

Usually, late model cars are the targets even if they are not so expensive.

But high-end or luxury cars seem to be the favorite of carjackers, like BMW, Accord and Prado.

Many years ago, while I still didn't have a driver, I nearly became a victim of a carjacking on Quezon Avenue, Quezon City. Two cars sandwiched my car, a Nissan California, and tried to force me into curb at about 2 a.m. But I was quick to get out of the car.

As I got out, I took a shot at the car in front of me and fired a second shot at the car behind me.

Taken by surprise, the two cars, which had at least two passengers each, sped away.

Will the Quezon City police and the TMG please wake up?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Dieseler,

That article has already been posted in this thread

Rampant carjackings in Quezon City