New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    From phipo site:
    http://www.pinoyphotography.org/foru...?topic=14797.0

"Since I got my hands on my SLR, it never left my side. To the point wherein it was always with me wherever I went, as I was afraid of missing an opportunity shot, and at the same time, these were my babies and a big part of my life that it just had to be with me to document my life travels. I have changed a few things for the glory of photography like always parking under the shade and looking for parking with the tightest security, who wouldn’t?. Un-begotten to me, storing all my gear in a single place would be a crucial decision with an effect I’ve never fathomed.

Last night, May 23, 2007 between approximately 9:00 – 10:00 in the evening, my car window was smashed and my WHOLE camera bag containing ALL my gear was stolen.

I had just arrived around 9pm, barely making it to my radio show Counterflow at Nu107 in Ortigas. Since my job required me to be there for an hour show every Wednesdays, I had routinarily parked at an open, paid parking lot called PARK PLUS, which is adjacent to the building which houses Chef and Brewer Café and the radio station. I arrived there at 9pm and proceeded to do our radio show with my good friends James Deakin and Pacho Blanco. After the show, an hour later, we then proceeded to the parking lot to continue our conversation and to chat a bit as like we always did every week. To my horror and disbelief, I saw my left passenger window smashed and my whole camera bag gone. I was literally just a few cars away from the reception booth since I was a bit of an o.c. when it came to safety. I couldn’t believe that everything I had freaking worked hard for was gone. I had lost my new tarmac pro 5 which I had recently purchased to house my 5 lenses and my d80 camera and accessories like my sb600 flash, chargers, batts, sd cards, remote, extra cam batt, polarizer’s and filters.

I then reported it to the police and preceded to their Pasig headquarters to secure a police report which didn’t do much good to alleviate my sadness. I really felt cheated with these pay parking lots and their ”get out of jail” clauses like they are “not liable for theft” considering you are parked in their vicinity and under their watch. What disgusts me the most is that my car was just 4 cars away from the booth and I hadn’t been gone that long. They make hundreds of thousands a year, charging steep prices for parking your car and we in-return would entrust our cars and valuables, thinking that we were paying for safety and security. They demand payment upon entry and they don’t follow through at their end, collecting away and no security in return? I should have just parked in the side streets, since there wasn’t that much of a difference anyway. I had called their main office, and as you would expect with opportunistic business people, management magically disappears and to this hour, I still haven’t received a single call from the company. What kind of a business is this? Not to my amazement, there wasn’t even a single security guard on the site except for the lady in the reception booth.

I have been trying to be positive about this whole incident but I am just at a loss with words. Hard earned cash for my gear, gone in an instant, after all the safety precautions. You really never know what can happen no matter how hard you try to prevent things. We may not be able to predict what may happen but I would like to impart what lessons I have learned from this incident, so as to save next person for heartache like this. If you have a camera bag or anything valuable for that matter, the trunk would be the best place to keep it. As much as possible just bring the lens that you would require to use and not the whole line-up. Just bring everything when you really have to. As for pay parking I really don’t have the words………………………….."

very sorry to hear that bro... its a big loss

have a question, are your windows tinted? based on your story you, i assume that you left your gear on the passenger seat, and if your windows have no tint valuable things inside your vehicle are in open view of would be theives. And they have a method of breaking your windows without using brute force, I won't say it here for obvious reasons. Lets all be vigilent and as much as possible not leave any valuables in plain view, no matter how "safe" the area is.

better yet have manyak tints installed

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    do you have an alarm installed on your ride? maybe you should strongly consider installing one after that sad incident.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Sad to say, nearly every parking lot (indoor and outdoor) has the same alibi; all they offer is the space, so that's all you pay for. Crappy deal, I know, but that's the best they can come up with. The part about actual security, they leave it to the owner or worse, the insurance company.

Honestly, the poster was a bit remiss in leaving his gear on the passenger seat, where it sits in plain view and offers a tempting opportunity for theft. Hindsight is always 20/20, and as he said, the trunk would have been a more logical storage space. Never mind if he has to miss a number of 'opportunity shots'; better that than permanently missing the entire gear. Putting on window tints, as ILD suggested, is another good idea.

And if you really must leave your larger valuables inside the car, be sure to make them as obscure as possible. Place them on the floor, and cover them with a jacket, blanket or any sizeable piece of cloth. If you can hide them under the seats, so much the better. Whether I park indoors or outdoors, the drill is always the same: keep money and valuables hidden from view, and NEVER leave the parking ticket/proximity card in the car. Don't let those high fences, thick walls and roving guards lull you into a false sense of security.

This is one of the more expensive learning experiences I've read about. But, as they say about other misfortunes, it could have been worse.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; May 26th, 2007 at 07:59 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Sorry to hear about your loss.

My first rule in parking : Never leave anything valuable inside your car.

Even in a parking lot or building full of security guards, there's no assurance that your car and valuables are secured/protected.

:toma: 2950

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Sorry to hear that bro..madalas din ako magpark sa mga pay parking sa ortigas dhayum ngayon ko lang nalaman wala palang kasilbi silbi yung mga bayad natin.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Wow. That really sucks, man. I'm sorry to hear it.

This is why you alway lock stuff in the trunk, at the very least. I'm sorry to have to say it, but leaving anything in the car's cabin is not even close to being called a safety precaution.

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    Usually, perpetrators of those window-break thefts use vans. They park close beside the target car since they only need a small space to open their sliding door.

This job would be over in a couple of seconds and off they go!

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    Sorry to hear about your loss.

Marami talagang magnanakaw sa mundo. Wala pa akong tao na kilala ng never ninakawan sa buong buhay niya.

But we have to remember that most pay-parking spaces, only gives you a false sense of security. We have to be vigilant, and take every possible precaution to protect what is ours. (reminder to self....I should put up an insurance business).

I understand your frustration, and it's good that you're venting this out....one way or the other.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Tch tch tch... nakikinig pa naman ako noon sa NU last wednesday evening...enjoy ang discussion especially nung napagusapan ang nimbleness of the starlet ... but sir, you never should have left your D80 in the open...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    This is one of the more expensive learning experiences I've read about. But, as they say about other misfortunes, it could have been worse.
    Buti na lang your car is still there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
park plus parking lot in ortigas