New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Why infrastructure construction should be done at night or the road should be completely closed. But knowing the bahala na attitude of Filipinos...

http://www.topgear.com.ph/news/motor...e-construction

Be careful when driving by infrastructure construction
    by Vernon B. Sarne - 3 hours ago

Driving in the Philippines can be very dangerous--we already know that. But it's one thing to be rammed by a speeding bus, it's quite another to have heavy steel equipment falling out of the sky right in front of you.

This accident happened just now in Pasay City, as related by reader Sean Pestano.

"I was driving on Andrews Avenue on my way to Domestic Airport from Resorts World, when the equipment above the NAIA Skyway construction suddenly fell, damaging a few cars," Pestano reported. "The Innova next to my car would have been crushed if it hadn't been able to back up in the nick of time."

Wait. Did he just say that thing fell?

"It fell from above!" he confirmed.

And how was the Innova able to avoid it if it suddenly fell?

"We were watching the long orange steel as it suddenly moved forward--it sped forward--then the front end fell, causing a domino effect," Pestano explained. "Cars immediatley backed up, and the thing missed the Innova by a few inches. If he hadn't backed up, part of the equipment would have fallen directly on top of it. The occupants of the Innova ran out for safety, same as the other cars."

Were there people injured, or cars damaged?

"No one was injured, I think, as all the cars were able to either pull to the side or speed away," Pestano recalled. "However, there were about three to four cars parked on the side with damages. Damages to doors, fenders. It could have been caused by the parts that flew and bounced after impact. Most cars simply fled immediately after because the bent Meralco posts might topple."

Amazing, the kind of public works safety--or the utter lack of it--we have in this country. Be careful out there, especially when passing a huge infrastructure construction site like this.
    Last edited by Monseratto; March 23rd, 2015 at 08:38 PM.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    To those who have a flight to catch, leave 5 hours earlier and be more patient than a dead monk...

Skyway crane crashes in Pasay; 5 vehicles hit
    INQUIRER.net 4:18 PM | Monday, March 23rd, 2015

MANILA, Philippines — A girder launcher in a portion of Skyway that is still under construction fell on at least five vehicles Monday afternoon, the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) reported.

In a tweet, the MMDA said that the Girder Launcher fell down on five vehicles near the southbound lane of Tramo-Andrews Avenue area in Pasay City at at 3:32 p.m.

No one was hurt in the incident but it caused heavy traffic in the area.

Edsa Tramo flyover going to Andrews Ave. was closed to traffic, the MMDA said.

Read more: Skyway crane crashes in Pasay; 5 vehicles hit | Inquirer News
    Follow us: *inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook
    Last edited by Monseratto; March 23rd, 2015 at 08:40 PM.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003

TOP GEAR PHILIPPINES
    Page Liked · 31 mins ·

We feel sorry for the guys who missed (and will miss) their flights today due to the structure collapse at the NAIA Skyway construction site on Andrews Avenue. (Photo from Miguelito Santiago)

UPDATE from Sean Pestano: "All roads going to Andrews Avenue are now closed--from Airport Road to Domestic Road, same with EDSA Tramo flyover going to Andrews Avenue."
    Last edited by Monseratto; March 23rd, 2015 at 08:42 PM.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Meron bang load during the collapse?
    More likely human error ang cause nito?
    I know dmci has good hse program and they also wish to close this road segment if permitted to do so. Good thing walang nadamay na human lives.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Sabi sa radyo ni mmda chair, sa gabi daw dapat ginagawa yung procedure na yan dahil delikado. Then later on may nagsabi na delayed project na daw kasi yan so assumption ay minamadali kaya kahit daytime tinira parin.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Buti na lang walang casualty. Parang noon, yung ginagawa yung SkyWay. Yung boom naman ng giant crane bumigay din.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thankfully no one was harmed. Good thing also that i decided to leave a car in Park and Fly instead of asking for hatid-sundo. I doubt this will be clear when we get back later.

Looks like the construction will be delayed too.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Yeah, no less of a miracle that there were no casualties. It must have felt like an earthquake when it crashed down.

i heard the MMDA provided motorcycle rides for the passengers trying to catch their flights. When i heard this i assumed the launcher really blocked off access, but judging from the pictures it didn't look that bad. i wondered how they'd stack luggage up on those MCs. Anyways, at least naghanap sila ng paraan.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    isisi kay PNOY gusto yata mayari ito bago siya bumaba sa pwesto..