New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    ‘Motorbike riders no better than street toughs’

The Philippine Star

Most motorcycle riders, called the new "kings of the road" are no different from street toughs killed for their abusive behavior and recklessness, the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) said on Saturday.

"Most of these motorcycle riders seem not to consider the rights of others when driving. They weave in between vehicles. They have to follow rules and regulations and they should not drive along the dividing lane of roads," MMDA traffic enforcement division chief Angelito Vergel de Dios said in a radio interview.

He added that motorcycle riders cause problems on the road and often figure in fatal road accidents.

Vergel de Dios said there are 2.4 million registered motorcycles in the country, of which 273,417 units are in Metro Manila. He said most motorcycles are not supposed to be driven on busy streets and major thoroughfares because they are prone to accidents.

"There are many unregistered motorcycles, especially outside Metro Manila like Bulacan and Cavite. They should be used only in subdivisions and not outside because this is prohibited," he said.

Vergel de Dios said the MMDA conducted a two-day motorbike-riding seminar starting on Saturday for some government agencies and motorcycle dealers.

The MMDA will ask the Land Transportation Office to help the agency strictly require individuals applying for or renewing their license and motorcycle registration to use protective gear such as full-face helmets, gloves and closed shoes.

The MMDA supports a Makati City ordinance requiring the use of full-face helmets for motorcycle drivers and half-face helmets for riders because of the rising cases of ambush and robbery using motorcycles. Pia Lee-Brago

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Given the number of riders who die everyday, i think they already know this.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, i was waiting for the authorities to pay attention to this situation. In Edsa, the situation is not too noticeable given the huge number of vehicles but on areas such as Novaliches and Valenzuela, motorcycles can outnumber the amount of cars on the road.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    d pa ba nila ire regulate ung mga pag rehistro ng mga motorsiklo? parang masyado na atang madami sila nakakagulat pa minsan, bigla na lang dadaan sa tabi mo at re rev an ka pa ng mai ingay nilang tambutso hayyy

5. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    more than half of registered vehicles in the philippines are motorcycles. kaya sila ang palaging nasisisi ng mga naka kotse, kase mas marami sila eh.

it's not that they don't care about the laws or something. they just don't have the proper training to drive their mopeds, same with the jeepney drivers and taxi drivers.

the mmda seminar was just for pr purposes. what we need is a stronger law. dapat talaga everyone has to go through a driving school before going out on the road. yun lang ang paraan para matuto sila ng proper road use.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    sana naman matuloy yng pag higpit nila sa renewal ng no.1 restriction code(for motorcycle). Malaking tulong toh....

7. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    hirap kasi some riders sila ang gumagawa ng ikasasakit nila, minsan kung saan saan sumisingit,minsan nagsasakay ng tatlo,minsan naman ang bibilis magpatakbo,minsan kahit may helmet hindi isinusuot,minsan abusado,minsan barumbado,dapat lang talagang maturuan na ng tamang do and dont' sa pagmamaneho ng motorcycle at dapat din na iregulate na ang mga eto, kung ganyang nagiging abusado.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Just few days ago, habang pinapasyal ko yung Japanese visitor namin may dumaan sa tabi namin na motorcyle. Tatlo ang sakay puro hindi nakahelmet- Isang lalaki, isang babae and a newborn baby! Nasa parang basket pa yung baby. Di na nila naisip na siguradong patay ang baby kung tumilapon sila. Tsk tsk. Napailing yung Japanese visitor ko. Sobrang amazed sa nakita nya.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by garci View Post
    Just few days ago, habang pinapasyal ko yung Japanese visitor namin may dumaan sa tabi namin na motorcyle. Tatlo ang sakay puro hindi nakahelmet- Isang lalaki, isang babae and a newborn baby! Nasa parang basket pa yung baby. Di na nila naisip na siguradong patay ang baby kung tumilapon sila. Tsk tsk. Napailing yung Japanese visitor ko. Sobrang amazed sa nakita nya.
    twice na akong nakaencounter nang ganito; the first was at a uturn slot along gil puyat. sapilitang isiningit ung dalang motor, with the mother and kid(or kids). muntik nang tamaan ng jeep. the second time was when i was about to cross an intersection. sinenyasan ko na ung kasalubong na hiace, sabay me sumingit na motor -- with a 3-4 yo girl riding on the back -- coming from my right side. dun ako talagang naininis, couldn't understand why he thought shaving off a few seconds off his trip could be worth risking his life(and more importantly the kid's) for.

btw...on both incidents, either ung rider lang or none of the people on the bikers were wearing helmets.

i swear, sometimes it's as if they *wish* something would happen. kinda like that lowlife that pushed her own son in front of oncoming traffic para "makajackpot"

i disagree with the title of the article: the way i see it, reckless riders(and drivers, for that matter) are that way, since they expect fellow motorists to always give way. always depending on the kindness of strangers is by no means being tough.

here's my other beef: ung kotseng walang side mirror, hinuhili;pag di nakaseatbelt, hinuhili. the basis for that is that these are safety requirements. helmets are safety equipment, right? as are side mirrors?
    Last edited by badkuk; April 29th, 2007 at 09:11 PM.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    our road conditions will only get worse ...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Motorbike riders no better than street toughs