New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Hi all, need your advice

A minor accident happened yesterday, along ortigas extension (we were coming home from an outing in Rizal). We were on a stoplight already so we were driving slowly (10kph max siguro) and there was quite a gap on the car in front of us - note that it was quite traffic as well. Then suddenly this gray Hyundai Starex (plate # WFE 296) suddenly cut us (swerved in front of us, he was on the right lane while we were in the left-most lane). We thought they simply cut us and that there weren't any damages - until the van beside us caught our attention saying that there was a big scratch (thank God for concerned citizens like him).

So, we knocked on the window of the Starex and told him that they damaged our bumper. It was a 3-inch long scratch, and our paint actually transferred to the Starex's bumper. So they said that we'll just go to the side to talk about it. So we did.

The guy driving (quite young, 23 years old based on his license) was quiet all throughout when we were talking. The guy talking to us was his friend. He said he's an owner of a talyer that could fix our bumper. Repaint daw. They are willing to pay the damages and they could have it done in the talyer if we want. We were hesitant on having this done on his talyer since kelangan tanggalin ang bumper to repaint and it'll take 3 days - God knows what they might do with my car. So, we told them to bring us to the talyer and they did - the place was actually quite shady. So we said that I'd consult my mom if we'd proceed with having it repainted in their shop or not. I had them sign an acknowledgement letter (wherein it states that they are willing to pay for the damages etc). We have pictures of their car, plate number, driver's license, and the damage done to our car. Unfortunately we didn't file for a police report anymore since we negotiated na nga and they said they were willing to pay for the damages.

Now when I got home and told my mom about this, she didn't want it done in the guy's shop since yun nga, Baka kung ano gawin sa car ko, and it may actually void my car's warranty (my car is just 6 months old, a Suzuki Swift 2012 model). My mom want it done in the casa. So we called up Suzuki Service and they said it'll cost 5000. So we called the guy up, and he refuses to pay for the 5k. His reasons:
    1. He's still a student and can't afford 5k
    2. Bumper repaint in the shop of his friend only costs 3k
    3. If I insist in the casa, insurance nlng daw (but we don't have a police report AND my participation fee is actually 1% of my car's worth - which is 7k+ and the minimum repair that my insurance will cover is actually 7k+ as well)

Now, he keeps on insisting to have it done in the shop of his friend pero if sa casa, he'll only give us 2.5k initially and he's not sure when he'd be able to give his remaining. He said that he already told his parents DAW but their house "rules" is that you pay for the damages in your OWN car. Imagine - he owns a freaking Starex and can't afford 5k? Like seriously? Super tinatarayan ko na to, like why do we have to bend to his requests when he was the one who did the damage. And actually I don't think the one I'm talking on the phone is actually the guy who was driving but his friend (the guy driving was super timid) but the guy I was talking to last night was super kulit and talkative. So I think the one I was talking to is actually his friend (they were off somewhere, maybe an outing as well I don't know. There was loud music blaring last night while I was talking to him on the phone). What do I need to do if this is the case? I refuse to pay for the damages done in my car when he signed the acknowledgment AND said that they were willing to pay for the damages. 5k may be a small amount but these guys need to learn their lesson. I hate reckless drivers.

Sorry if it's too long - need your good advice

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Brand new car?

Use your insurance, pricey but nothing compares to peace of mind since ayaw mo ipagawa sa talyer.

no police report? get an affidavit pa notaryo mo. Insurance will accept that.

Get the 2500 since willing naman siya ibigay.

stop stressing yourself.

charge it to experience.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    ^ I agree. Kunin mo na lang yang 2.5K na offer.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaNker View Post
    ^ I agree. Kunin mo na lang yang 2.5K na offer.
    Get the 2.5k offer, then have it repainted somewhere else reputable. Nasa 3-3.5k ang per panel ngayon.

Your warranty will not be voided.

Sent from my 3210 using Tapatalk HD Premium

5. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Kun ako yan, ill get the 2.5k offer and try mo i rubbing compound yung gasgas ng bumper mo baka kaya mabawasan then ipunin mo na lang na dumami gasgas ng bumper mo tsaka mo i parepaint para sulit.
    Pasalamat ka na lang na may willing mag shell out ng 2.5k sayo. What if hit and run yun diba or jeep naka banga sayo baka kamutan ka lang ng ulo nun

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Accept what he has to offer. It'll cost you more time and money convincing the driver to pay the 5k.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A decent shop will do the paintwork for around 3K-4K... just leave your bumper there then park your car at home. Di kaya ng detailing?

Another option is to have your insurance do the work and have the other party pay the participation. You'll have to execute an affidavit in the absence of a police report.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Atsaka sure ka ba na mali ng starex ? Kasi pwede nya baliktaran yung kwento na hinabol mo yung car nya kaya ka sumabit sa kanya. Kun baga since nakauna labas yung ulo ng starex nya and cinut ka, you can step on the brakes and avoid the accident

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sa akin, kunin ko na lang yung 2.5k na offer and idagdag ko sa participation costs tapos sa casa mo ipagawa.
    walang mangyayari dyan kung magpipilitan kayo.

at least he is still offering 2.5k. i had accidents before na kinamutan lang ako ng ulo, but i chose to let it go, kesa pasakitin pa ulo ko.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    TS hows the damage nga pala?

Baka nga makuha sa rubbing yan? Go to any reputable detailing shop.

Kahit DIY pede naman.

Downside kasi sa casa antagal bago matapos.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast