New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    CHED Autonomy has its own limits. This case is one of its gray areas. However, the complainant is playing wager on the odds as he/she brings this case to CHED. Should there be a probable cause for an abuse of the autonomy status committed by the said institution, CHED could intervene with this case. It is like the case of the Ampatuan, Maguindanao Massacre. The crime happened on an autonomous region somewhere in our country but the case is being tried as a case filed by the "People of Republic of The Philippines" and not as "People of the Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao of the Republic of the Philippines" given that ARMM enjoys an Autonomous Status.

But then again, this case has a 50-50 odds. But the points of Sir Niky above bears significant points for defense also because of the nature of the complainant's undergraduate course. And we all know how fast-paced the technological advancements are. Wala pa ngang 3 months ang laptop mo, halos obsolete na dahil sa bagong laptop na lumabas. At baka nga in a few years time, obsolete na rin ang paggamit ng laptop due to the rise of Tablet PCs as well as Android Phones. All the more with Computer Science as a field of study, na kung hindi mo talaga ma-practice, makakaiwanan ka talaga ng panahon. No offense meant to Computer Science Students, Graduates and Faculty who belongs to tsikot.com community.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    The TS can claim he was NOT INFORMED by the school that he can not take his time to graduate...

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    the practice applies outside the philippines as well, particularly to western edu system. some undergraduate subjects like humanities or social science 'may' be given credits but that's for engineering or science related degree. no choice for a returning student but to adapt to the ever changing curricula. but if he has a smart head on his shoulder, he can probably get a financial aid/ grant and breeze through the course in lesser no of years.

i don't think mapua in the days of yore when my dad took his bachelor's deg was the same mapua during my time and most probably a very different institution now altogether. every school is practically like that i guess.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    The said course has changed a lot since he was way out too long and many course accreditation has been applied like the international ABET and the local PACUCOA. The school is now hard press to be strict in following guidelines imposed by these accrediting bodies.

In fairness to Mapúa., Only Mapúa Institute of Technology has the ABET accreditation for its programs in BS Computer Science and BS Information Technology in the whole of East Asia. Filipino graduates of ABET-accredited programs enjoy a great deal of advantage especially in terms of employment and mobility. They can practice their professions in other countries, specifically in the United States, where ABET is recognized. It also permits and eases entry to a technical profession through licensure, registration, and certification. I was in Mapua Makati Campus when US based ABET representatives had their site visit last year.

5. Join Date
    May 2004
    Mapua Graduate also here.
    Agree with niky, medyo complicated sya kasi iba yung course nya. kung Civil or mechanical yan baka pwede pa.
    still remember my ECE instructor back then, "what we are studying now maybe obsolete by the time you graduate, but at least you know the basic and how did it evolved"

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    The TS can claim he was NOT INFORMED by the school that he can not take his time to graduate...
    Which is bull. All college students know the maximum residency requirements by heart... especially after their first failure. Kung lumampas ka... tough luck.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Pampalubag loob, you dont need a diploma to be successful in life...Life must go on

8. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    One of my friend is still there. Di pa siya nakakatapos hanggang ngayon due to financial crisis. Tinanong ko siya kung natamaan siya nitong bagong rule, and he said yes. He's taking Electrical Engineering. Noong huli kaming nagkita, sinabihan ko na dapat tapusin na niya within this year (2011), pero di ko masisi yun tao kung bakit dahil kapos din siya.

On a side note, kung ipatupad man ito, dapat mas maging madiskarte na yun mga estudyante. Dapat matuto na sila na wag magpabaya sa pag-aaral o kaya eh gumawa ng mabuting paraan para masustentuhan ang expenses sa college.

Pero sa tingin ng marami, di ito ok. Tapos ang Mapua ngayon, nirerequire ang lahat ng freshmen to at least acquire a laptop with specs na dapat on par doon sa nirerecommend ng Mapua na Samsung laptop. Then sinabayan pa nito, so ayun, di tuloy naging maganda ang dating sa karamihan.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver1013 View Post
    Pampalubag loob, you dont need a diploma to be successful in life...Life must go on
    I have to agree with this. Ang kailangan sa buhay, diskarte... Kahit di ka tapos o hindi ganun kagandang course ang tinapos mo, as long na madiskarte ka, magiging successful ka. Tapos ka nga ng isang 4-5 year course, pero kulang ka sa diskarte o tatamad-tamad ka, pupulutin ka lang sa kangkungan.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    My opinion on this, the current situation right now on the computer science (or IT) field, what you've learned from 2003 upto 2012 is still pretty much acceptable in the IT industry.

Example, usually first year students will begin with the basics or IT concepts then math subjects etc. On succeeding terms, you begin to learn C/C++ (w/c is still dominant on the device programming / game development and open source development). Then after that, there would be subjects that utilizes Java" or ".Net" which again is dominant on the market for business applications (majorly web applications, point of sales and back-end applications). In addition to that, for IT courses, you will also encounter RDBMS (database) subjects w/c is if you have the basics, it will still be the same whether it's Oracle, DB2 etc. These concepts will cultivate and soon you'll realize that there are many fields in IT where you can apply your skills.

Of course, there are alot of new tools / approaches that were introduced in past couple of years (cloud computing, virtualization, business rules engine, new scripting tools, mobile development), but if you look at it, if you have the basics in IT (programming, networking, web, OS), you'll still be pretty much employable and could still land a good job. Just look on jobstreets for IT jobs, you'll see alot of Java, .NET, C++ work. Heck if you don't want programming, you can also take the path of Business Analyst.

I think the advancements right now is more on expansion of tools that aims to
    aid and expedite the process of software development (ironically, there are some IT project that still fails using these new frameworks).

With all these being said, its unfair for a student to not finish the course if the reason of the college school (or university) to uncredit the subjects is because of new curriculums (e.g. subjects/courses from the past would not be applicable on today) and new technological advancement. I think what he learned from 2003-2012 will still be usable on the technology what we have right now.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Mapua is finished! The Glorious School is no more but a mere shadow of its reputation