New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    I received a post card which says that "The Land Rover Freelander 18k 5 drs on the picture could well be making its way to you at "they stated My home address", if you're drawn as winner.
    You can only register your entry over the phone and this notice is valid only for 7 days. Signed by the sweepstakes director with a foreign sound name. The way it was presented was credible since it carries the name readers digest.

Wow! I imagine myself driving a new Rover.

I checked the date and it was already on the fourth day, the timing is very critical and I have to call up immediately and let them know that I want to be counted on the draw date. I called up the numbers on post card it was busy and took me more than 20 minutes before I was able to contact a person whose name is Ms. May.

I told her that I was responding to the invitation to join the raffle, Yes Sir she said with very snappy voice, you were one of the selected few for the raffle and when it said few that means great chances of winning but…this could only happen if you avail our especial offer of Readers Digest for one year subscription with free leather bag etc etc etc blah blah.

The Rover that I dreamed of is gone since and I realize that this is just their marketing scheme. I didn’t felt bad. I know that there so many marketing scheme such as this but could not believe that readers digest with all its reputation are too desperate to do a this kind of marketing. (I promise Ms. May that I will continue my subscription next June )

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    hahaha lumang style na yan ng reader's digest. the supposedly 'selected few' is bullcrap, that's just to entice you to subscribe to RD. they even send plastic imitation keys along with the letter para maging excited ka sa car.

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    just dont expect to win and you wont be disappointed.nowadays i just throw them out

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    My wife and I have been receiving that letter every year for almost 6 years. Kahit hindi kami subscriber ng RD. Always straight din sa basurahan. Hindi ko na nga binubuksan yung sulat.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    selected few million!

pag nag-subscribe ka dyan they will send you one card or entry something every 2 weeks or so. if you stop sending it back then your name gets dropped from the few million. only those subscribers who keep on sending back (and subscribing!) whatever they send will actually be part of the raffle. in other words, matira matibay.

meron na nanalo na pinay sa RD, $1M naman.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Back in the mid 90's, I got a steel key enclosed with my RD subscription. The note attached said that I can claim my "new car" that I just won if I simply subscribe right away for at least 2 years and save this heap of money to boot.

I got a new car alright. But it was through hardwork and saving up hehe.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Been receiving the 'key' every year for more than a decade already. Hindi pa rin nadadala sa akin