New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I have been noticing large fuel tankers freely mixing it up with rush hour traffic day and night along major roads. They're apparently exempt from the truck ban. Conspicuously painted on all sides of the tankers: INFLAMMABLE No Smoking Within 50 Feet. I often wonder who heeds this warning and what could happen if there is an accident and one of these tankers catches fire or explodes in the middle of heavy traffic. A few years back, I recall that an LPG tanker fell into a ditch in the middle of SLEX and traffic was held up for several hours for fear that it might explode (luckily it didn't). Maybe the authorities should consider allowing these tankers (when loaded) on the road only during light traffic hours to avert the possibility of a large-scale tragedy in case of an explosion. Prevention is always better than a knee-jerk reaction after something happens.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    If my memory serves me right, wasn't there an actual incident where a fallen LPG tanker exploded just as a bus was trying to get passed it. I think this happened some weeks ago.

kung meron lang sana 'Truck Road' separately and scheduling kung kelan dapat dadaan yung mga Truck on Open Roads not the whole day pwede silang dumaan surely safe to at ma-minimize yung accident.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Scarier sila when empty because they're lighter, faster and full of fumes.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    When I was a kid I was also worried about this especially during the traffic hours, sometimes even SONA (remember those old traffic jams?). Which is ironic, because a fuel tanker carrying fuel, is surrounded by private vehicles wasting fuel. Just a thought...

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    me I just pray everytime I see one 5 cars in front or 5 cars * the back of me. dahil pag sumabog yan sa bumper to bumper traffic, siguradong ubos na ang isang block

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The "No Smoking Within 50 Meters" is just a bluff really. Tankers are sufficiently protected from most accidents.

It is only Hollywood that came up with those exploding fuel tankers. :lol:

8. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    ^^^ Meron pa nga akong nakita na petrol tanker yung driver mismo may yosi eh.

Quote Originally Posted by ess View Post
    If my memory serves me right, wasn't there an actual incident where a fallen LPG tanker exploded just as a bus was trying to get passed it. I think this happened some weeks ago.
    CO2. Not LPG.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    "...Chevron is aggressive on its roll out of relatively safer haulers, which it dubbed the "Caltex Advanced Safety Trucks" or CAST with 21 units already plying Metro Manila thoroughfares from the Pandacan depots. The cost of developing these state-of-the-art trucks and placing them on the road, according to Johnson, would be around P10 million per unit.

"The brand new trucks, the first of their kind in the country, are equipped with the latest state-of-the-art features to help ensure the highest levels of safety on the road," he stressed; adding that while these are designed for the unique driving conditions in Asia; their level of safety and quality resemble those in the United States and other more developed countries.....

"...The upgraded trucks has an on-board computer system (OBCS) which stores fuel data, time and distance and display gauges; vehicle message warnings, tire pressure and other vehicle settings.

They are likewise equipped with Global Positioning System (GPS), which makes it easier to trace the whereabouts of the vehicles via the internet or through a cellular system.

Each truck, it was noted, has a speed limiter which keeps a tight rein on its maximum vehicle speed at 70 kilometers per hour (kph), which means the driver cannot modify setting as programming is done through a computer."

http://www.mb.com.ph/BSNS2007030188331.html

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SeminaristaKuno View Post
    "...Chevron is aggressive on its roll out of relatively safer haulers, which it dubbed the "Caltex Advanced Safety Trucks" or CAST with 21 units already plying Metro Manila thoroughfares from the Pandacan depots. The cost of developing these state-of-the-art trucks and placing them on the road, according to Johnson, would be around P10 million per unit.

"The brand new trucks, the first of their kind in the country, are equipped with the latest state-of-the-art features to help ensure the highest levels of safety on the road," he stressed; adding that while these are designed for the unique driving conditions in Asia; their level of safety and quality resemble those in the United States and other more developed countries.....

"...The upgraded trucks has an on-board computer system (OBCS) which stores fuel data, time and distance and display gauges; vehicle message warnings, tire pressure and other vehicle settings.

They are likewise equipped with Global Positioning System (GPS), which makes it easier to trace the whereabouts of the vehicles via the internet or through a cellular system.

Each truck, it was noted, has a speed limiter which keeps a tight rein on its maximum vehicle speed at 70 kilometers per hour (kph), which means the driver cannot modify setting as programming is done through a computer."

http://www.mb.com.ph/BSNS2007030188331.html
    It's good to know that at least one company is addressing the concern before an untoward incident happens. Hope the others follow the lead.

Fuel tankers: tragedy waiting to happen