New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Got this from a blog of a friend. He was mailed by one of his follower regarding a recent incident that happened in an elevator in one of a notable office building.

The persons mentioned is free to air their side of the story.

You may reach Michael Cole here:

http://www.linkedin.com/in/michaelcolephil

http://michaelcole.livejournal.com

Yahoo ID: mcole1971
    Google ID: colemichae[SIZE=3]MOTHER’S PLEA:

Now read this letter from Jan Chavez-Arceo, a mother:

Please allow me to share with you an incident that happened to me and my son Ramon while in an elevator in a Makati office building last Sept. 18. A few minutes before 2 p.m., I arrived at Trafalgar Plaza Bldg. where I hold office, coming from my daughter’s Kumon school. Together with my 11-year-old son, three-year-old daughter and nanny we boarded elevator E to go up to our office on the 7th Floor.

The lift was packed but had enough room for my group and a couple more people. As a courtesy to the others who were still coming in, my son moved as far back as he could to give space for me and the others.
    I noticed that his back was pressing the tall foreigner behind him, so I cautioned my son to move forward a bit as the man might get hurt or annoyed. But, as I was telling my son this, the foreigner abruptly, with thrusting motion from behind, pushed my son forward and tersely spoke to him with a loud, gruff voice inside the jam packed elevator in front of all the people. At that point, my son started sobbing already as he moved towards me.

This was all happening in front of my daughter!
    I confronted the assailant by questioning his behavior, as I was appalled at how a grown man can act so rudely towards a person, much less a child! He justified his action by saying that I was telling my son already to move and he was not listening. I told him that his manner was by no means the proper way to talk to a child nor even an adult. This man did not show any remorse and even seemed indignant.

That was when I had to tell him in front of all those people inside the lift that my son is wired differently and has a different cognitive makeup.
    You see, it was very difficult to tell him clearly my son’s cognitive makeup for the reason that I did not want my son to hear how he should be described for that man to better understand why it took a while for Ramon to move. We try our very best to protect our son Ramon from getting affected by the brands and labels people and doctors give his condition without him feeling that he is any less than the other kids his age.

This foreigner, having heard me say that my son was wired differently, did not even show any remorse and did not even bother apologizing nor appeasing my son and just kept staring at the elevator door until my party alighted at my floor.
    It was when we reached the reception area of my office that my son cried uncontrollably and said that this person actually knee-kicked him at his behind and it hurt him so much.

My son was traumatized by this incident and refused to leave the sofa to even go inside to my executive office. We just sat there for a long time and he just kept crying and saying how painful it was.
    (We have cctv video of the incident in the elevator — thanks to the Trafalgar Plaza Security & Admin staff — and photos and video clip of how distraught my son was after the incident.)

This foreigner, we found out, is
    Michael Cole — reportedly chief technologist of Times Asia holding office on the 21st floor of Trafalgar Plaza Bldg. We have filed a formal complaint with our building Admin Manager — who has been very responsive — as well as with the office of Makati Councilor Junjun Binay.
    Please help us let this Michael Cole and his superiors know that his behavior cannot be tolerated in this country. People, foreigners especially, should not be allowed to behave in such manner in our own country and maltreat our own people, much less a child, regardless of their status or position of power!

I pray that you or your children will not experience this kind of painful incident — when you see your child placed in such a situation and you feel so helpless about it. More than the physical pain, it was the emotional and mental trauma for Ramon (he could not go to the elevators alone after that incident) and my daughter who also witnessed the incident that really concern me.
    All these years, Ramon had been very tentative about being in public places and gatherings (even children’s parties!) and normally holds my hand for his sense of security. It took many years of coaching and behavioral therapy sessions (still ongoing) for Ramon to be bolder. This incident can mean a few steps backwards again for him.

[/SIZE]
    =======================
    note: I did a little research and apparently the Phil Star website used to have this story online but for some reason the link is now dead. Even the cache is no longer working.

The complainant is also a very prominent Call Center director.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    baka etong babae sya din ung naka away ng taga PPSA...

pareho style e

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    The difference between this one and the PPSA incident is, that in this one, we have names to start with. The other one sounded like a rant. This sounds more like a grievance.

Mr. Cole is welcome to opine though. But this statement...

(We have cctv video of the incident in the elevator — thanks to the Trafalgar Plaza Security & Admin staff — and photos and video clip of how distraught my son was after the incident.)
    Is enough for him to consider telling the truth. After all pictures don't lie.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    here we go again... if we don't know the person/s involved personally and just get the infos from a friend of a friend, I think it's just fair that we don't post the names of the persons in the "story". until such time that we have proven na totoo nga nangyari yun incident...

mods, nioy muna....

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    hopefully, the knee-kicking of the kid's butt had been clearly captured by the cctv. otherwise, it could have been an "exaggerated" reaction by the kid. note that the kid is special in some way and not used to being in public places.

the kid's reaction could also be caused by the argument that happened in the elevator.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    i read about this in yesterday's newspapers in federico pascual's philstar column. looks legit enough so far but the best evidence would be the cctv clip if it exists

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by baludoy View Post
    i read about this in yesterday's newspapers in federico pascual's philstar column. looks legit enough so far but the best evidence would be the cctv clip if it exists
    It's legit news alright, Just went through the company library and got back issues.

Update: It has been reported that an apology will suffice should the offender opt to do it. Well, their emails are published in Linked In and Xoom, they both seem like very well educated people. Let's hope they sort this out without necessitating a legal battle.

In fact here's an insight of his view of our country. He seems to be fair in his statements. I hope they get reconciled.

https://www.xing.com/app/forum?op=sh...les;id=5610506

Found and reposting the Philippine Star Article, Verbatim

http://www.philstar.com/archives.php...922127&type=2&

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    well kung totoo ngang nasumbong na sa authorities, e di sila na bahala dun. i dunno why it still had to be posted or spread in the internet.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by coiter View Post
    well kung totoo ngang nasumbong na sa authorities, e di sila na bahala dun. i dunno why it still had to be posted or spread in the internet.
    Dude so that short tempered people reading this should learn by example. It's called freedom of speech.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by daimengrui View Post
    Dude so that short tempered people reading this should learn by example. It's called freedom of speech.
    i know. but there's also something about "everyone is innocent until proven guilty" or due process. freedom of speech is not absolute and should not trample upon the freedoms of others.

so the writer shouldn't have posted the name of the accused unless a decision has been handed down by the proper authorities or there has been an admission by the guilty party himself.

and as shadow mentioned, there should have been censorship or deletion of the name until there is concrete proof that it really happened and the person is really guilty.

and if indeed he's learned his lesson and is willing to fix it, then there's no need for public persecution and humiliation. lalo lang magugulo ang sitwasyon. pwede namang "this foreigner...etc...and now he's made to pay 10million pesos...etc". overkill na ata yan.

if you were having a bad day and you accidentally made one lousy mistake, do you think you also deserve something like that?

just my opinion.
    Last edited by coiter; September 24th, 2008 at 10:12 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Foreigner Bullies in our own Country?