New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Actually sa counterflow may isang super-ogags na nag uumpisa,
    tapos nagsusunuran na lahat, parang follow-the-leader.

Sir Architect, the situation you described in Santolan is just
    an average metro Manila street scene, in other words its
    happening all over the place!

As I mentioned in a previous thread of the same subject, its
    the traffic enforcers who allow counteflowing that's instilling
    this deadly mentality on our motorists!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    HAHAHA I WAS STUCK THERE TOO!

nakita ko din yung fortuner ^_^

i was driving a red nissan pickup (Maroon) with loud sounds+blue light inside ^_^

naipit pa nga ako nung biglang nagstop yung TAXI! free flow na sabay nagbaba ng pasahero ^_^

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Innova_Boy View Post
    dapat kasi lahat ng roaDS NATIN lagyan ng center islang para mawala counterflow, most of the roads that have counterflowing activities are those that have no incoming vehicles on the opposite direction, resulting in counterflowing of the available space...
    i used to think the same way, until nakakita ako (several times) ng nagcocounterflow despite the presence of a center island. ang pinaka madalas yata is from green meadows going to ortigas center. once, nakakita rin ako sa intersection ng white plains/santolan headed towards katipunan. center islands wont work, kasi meron pa rin talagang hindi susunod. what is needed talaga is stricter implementation.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    sana makasalubong nila yung jell bus from other thread: tapos counterflow sila para
    araruhin yang mga lintek na yan

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by architect View Post
    Last Wednesday (Dec 19) I got stuck in traffic along Santolan by Camp Aguinaldo going to EDSA. From 11:20 to 11:38 am, while sitting idly in my car, I saw several cars go counter-flow and sped past me, including two convoys of red-plate vehicles. As the number of counter-flowing cars seemed unbelievably high and since the traffic in my lane wasn't really moving, I decided to jot down the plate numbers of the cars going counter-flow. From 11:38 to about 11:45, I was able to list down the ff:

Blue Revo with wang-wang XFD 98*
    Tan Hilux Pick-up ZHT 37*
    Maroon Mitsubishi Pick-UP TET 98*
    Maroon Toyota Sedan YTM 71*
    Dark Colored Sedan ZAC 42*
    White Fortuner with loud horn ZEE 68*
    Maroon Nissan Patrol ZAP 86*
    Army Truck SFN 35*
    Grey Nissan Van 617* (blue plate)
    Beige Honda CRV ZHL 83*

As I don't have any proof (in the form of video or photographs) I have left out the last digits.

There were also about 3 - 4 jeepneys with dirty dilapidated plates that were basically unreadable. However, there were actually about more than ten others whose plate numbers I didn't catch simply because they were too many and going too fast for me. The counter-flow lane ultimately became a solid third lane going towards EDSA, leaving the opposite direction down to one lane. Eventually, traffic in that direction backed-up as cars turning left from Santolan to Cubao were blocked from doing so. That's when the traffic enforcers decided to get the traffic moving and I reached EDSA within a minute or so.

While I know a lot of drivers go counter-flow in lots of areas these days, I was quite surprised at the percentage of drivers who do so. But when I think about it, what is of more grave concern is the angry glare counter-flowing drivers often give you when you don't give way even though it is very clear you have the right of way and they don't. As I very seldom give way (except to ambulances and cars with their hazard lights turned on - I give them the benefit of the doubt), I am often at the receiving end of such stares. And the thing is that I often get these from employed drivers and women drivers as well, not to mention countless motorcyclists. It is as if anarchy is the rule of the streets these days, which, if true, is sadly ominous for the country.
    Its very frustrating nowadays driving in Metro Manila especially when you follow every traffic rules and regulation where others dont.May I have some suggestions :
    1. our traffic enforcers must be educated first with traffic rules.and enforce them.Their priority is not hiding in the corner to apprehend traffic violators but to supervise traffic.
    2. whenever there is sign that reads no left turn they should implement it.
    JUst like the corner of sta mesa and pureza, there is a sign no left turn and yet MMDA Enforcer and Manila traffic officer allowed it. since the inner lane is for fast moving vehicle when the stop light turn to green, we expect the traffic to go smoothly on that lane but those vehicle stop at the corner to turn left thus causing traffic.
    3.driver before getting license should have seminar and undergone proper examination by a private group but not the lto since you know many things happen in LTO.
    4.professinal license issued to truck driver and public utility vechicles should be scrutinized. they must be taught proper road courtesy and the proper place to load and unload passenger. Just like in aurora blvd. near uerm if you coming from cubao, those jeepney build a terminal around that corner making it one lane to private car. And yet sometimes there is an enforcer standing nearby to apprehend those beating the red light instead of clearing thehjeepney terminal.
    5. The best way to implement traffic regulations is to install camera every corner of the streets. Wherein if you are caught by the camera you will be mailed by your violations. It is more efficient than traffic enforcer and no tong will be given to them. or you might caught enforcer by surprise by not doing his duty. If human right is violated as claim by some maybe a bill should be enacted by congress.
    6 And lastly, those motorcyles are road hazards. they swerve in and out on any opennings. When accidents happen we are always at fault. One time I saw jollibee delivery boy weaved out of a traffic which he immediately went to the counterflow lane wherein traffic is moderate. When the driver from the opposite driving at his normal speed without expecting a motor who suddenly came out to his path and thus hitting the motor. Sad to say the driver have to settle the bill of the motor both bodily injury and property damage. Are our laws always favor the victim because of bodily injury and not finding who is at fault.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    LTO is the main reason why there are many "undiscipline drivers" on the road... they suck bigtime!!!

7. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    tutal usong uso ang counterflowing, dapat lahat mag counterflow para ang kalalabasan e palit ng lane...

8. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    haay,ewan ko dito sa atin natural na ata ang magcounterflow at parang naging tama pa nga ata ang pagkakacounterflow.
    kasi,eto tayong lahat sumusunod sa traffic rules and regulation ang naiinis at parang nagmumukhang tanga at ang isa pang nakainis pag nakatapos pa sa pagka counterflow, magka-cut naman sa inyo yang mga yan, dahil gustong bumalik dun naman sa lane,kaya gulo-gulo na at traffic na.

nakikita kasi dito ang ugali ng pilipino dito, na hindi makapagantay o makapagchaga sa pagpila ng maayos.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    wala na po kasing respeto sa 1 traffic rules and regulation
    2 traffic enforcers and pulis
    3 kapwa drivers
    4 pedestrian
    5 sa ating sarili
    and is it getting worst? or am i just one of you guys hoping to make a difference or trying to make a difference....

Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year to ALL

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It's even worse when you travel to the province during a long weekend and it's traffic on the provincial highway (i.e. Holy Week, All Souls day weekend). Once someone starts to counterflow, the traffic becomes really bad.

Along the White Plains stretch of Katipunan it's usually those for hire vans/shuttles that counterflow in the evening traffic...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Counter Flowing: A Way of Driving Now?