New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Sino-sino ba ang pwedeng mangumpiska ng lisensya?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • MMDA Enforcers

1 25.00%
  • Security Guards

0 0%
  • Policemen (TMG)

3 75.00%
  • Barangay Tanod

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Hi. I had this unfortunate incident last night as I was about to go home from a night duty. After exiting from SMC, I was southbound along San Miguel Ave. towards the U-Turn near Lynden Suites. I took a right turn afterwards going to Pearl Drive out to Exchange Road so I could check the names of the Condos along there since I was canvassing for a place to relocate. I took the road leading to Exchange Road and followed the usual path towards a pay parking used by motorist trying to go out for San Miguel Ave. Near the entrance of the road, there is a (-) No Entry sign and so I followed. I took the road leading next or almost parallel to J. Vargas almost it's end pointing to San Miguel Ave. then I took the 2nd to the last Street Left going to Exchange Road. The end of this street has a metal barricade and some signs. I saw one which has the word, "LEFT" so with almost exhaustion from work and hunger, I concluded that it means NO LEFT TURN. Since at 11:45, the road is almost empty for me to cause problem with other motorists, I took the right turn to Exchange Road and straight towards San Miguel Ave.. As I was about to turn right again to exit Exchange Road for San Miguel Ave., a security guard with a reflectorized suit with words, TRAFFIC, flagged me down. I complied. I was informed that I disregarded the traffic sign that says NO LEFT TURN. To my surprise, I told the enforcer that I honestly thought it was the other way around and besides, I even saw one vehicle taking the same route. I was asked for my Driver's License but I refused to give it. I asked the enforcer if we can just settle it since it's my first offense and I was not aware about it. The enforcer called another security guard in a motorcycle named ROLANDO M. BALUBAL. This guy asked me for my license and again, I refused. I asked them if they are MMDA and told them that confiscation of license is not actually acceptable instead they can issue ticket that I will pay for. Mr. Balubal insisted and since they are armed with guns on their holster, I thought of giving them the license on the condition that they return it after getting the info they needed. I was then issued a Traffic Violation Ticket with a sticker having the code "TVR No. M04-0783249-1" overriding the printed "MTT Number: M04-0783249-3". Since I was not able to talk it over with them, I thought that the violation would more or less be "Disregard of Traffic Signs" but instead it was "CounterFlowing" with a fine of 2000 and 3 months suspension of Driver's License. I tried talking again to them but to no avail. To cut the story short, I was made to pay them since they told me that paying them 2000 would free me from the burden (abala) of going to MMDA and claiming my license. It took me until 4AM to withdraw cash, print an aknowledgement receipt document back in my office as well as photocopy the Traffic Violation Ticket since they do not want to give me a copy or receipt upon payment. I told the enforcer that I had to reimburse it to the company so he agreed to sign. I had him sign the document as an evidence that he received the P2000. I told him that the sheet would also act as an authorization for him to pay in behalf of me should the TVR as well as their intention to pay for me be legitimate. If it were not for my Driver's License being hostaged as well as for the burden of taking a leave to claim my license at MMDA, I would have resisted and stayed there even 24 hours contesting their act of confiscation as well as giving me a counterflowing charge.

I tried checking the internet and I found several stories related to my experience. I was able to read also a thread from a student in Ortigas who also had the same experience and yet resisted surrendering her license. I do not know if Ortigas Security Guards are duly deputized to confiscate licenses as MMDA officers do. I do not know also if the SC ruling way back 2004 prohibiting MMDA from confiscating licenses is still in effect. I also wish I could validate too if the TVR issued to me is valid and not fake or expired. I wonder if the P2000 I paid to get my license back will indeed be remitted to MMDA. I hope that MMDA and other agencies responsible for managing traffic-related concerns can post information on their websites guidelines as well as a more-detailed explanation and definition of each violations, fines as well as various ordinances per city.

What a day!
    Last edited by SAPBASISPINOY; August 4th, 2006 at 10:23 PM. Reason: TRV to TVR

2. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    maybe youve been punked as in mtv , no receipts means they go into their pockts

maybe you should ask tem for identification instead , damn , hard times mean kotong harder

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    parati ako nasa Ortigas center kahit gabi na. beware of these motorcycle riding guards. nakaabang talaga yan sa mga madidilim na lugar, for example the corner of ADB Bldg or in front of the Parking lot beside Podium. nakaabang sa sinuman magkamali mag-U-turn ng wala sa lugar.

also avoid the brown uniformed motorcycle cops (meron na ba talaga naka-brown ulit ngaun) along Ortigas Ave., nakaabang sila sa corner ng metrowalk-ortigas and stoplight after Medical city, hanggang gabi yan. naghihintay ng mahuhuli at nakatago.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    damn!...ganyan na ba talaga kalala ang mga kutong cops dyan sa atin?....parang ayaw ko ng magdrive pagnagbakasyon ako dyan....

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I work in Ortigas Center and IMO the signs there are legible and big enough to understand. The sign at exchange road is "no-left turn".

As for the no-left sign, you could have just surrendered your license then contested the violation at the MMDA Adjucation Board. I had my counterflowing violation before (in Makati since I was not familiar with Pasay Road) downgraded to disregarding traffic signs (P150). The Ortigas security is deputized by the MMDA to issue TVRs.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Marami tlagang racket dyan sa Ortigas.. maraming one way street.. ngayon two way..bukas ng umaga one way na bigla.. ang gulo.tapos kumpol kumpol pa ang mga pulis.. kwentuhan habang nanghuhuli.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    me = victim din dyan sa exchange road...2000 din ang hingi sa kin...pero...sabi nya..."o cge...bigyan mo na lang ako ng 25% para dispensa, nasulat ko na kasi yung violation mo e...blah blah blah blah"...trying to guage his math, tinanung ko sya: "ilan po ba ang 25% ng 2000?" good thing, sinabi nya sa kin: "e bakit ako pa ang pagkokompyutin mo? ikaw na ang mag compute ng 25%!"...so kunyari bunot ako ng calculator...pressed a few buttons, keyed in the digits 5 and 0...sabay pinakita ko sa kanya at sinabing: "ser, singkwenta pesos po!", binigay ko na ung 50, sabay harurut!

8. FrankDrebin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-POGI
    damn!...ganyan na ba talaga kalala ang mga kutong cops dyan sa atin?....parang ayaw ko ng magdrive pagnagbakasyon ako dyan....
    Kotong guards sir.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    I was recently cited at Makati on a Saturday by an MMDA aide for using a bus lane. Although there was no sign and some arguments, I realized that it would be better to settle the fine the legitimate way. Anyway, the MMDA does not confiscate licenses and you can settle the fine through Metrobank. That's what i did. I paid the P500 and kept the deposit slip and the traffic ticket for future reference.
    Don't let those cops or guards who give the line that "just pay them the amount so that you don't have to claim your license at the MMDA" fool you.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    hahaha! ang bobo naman nun. 25% lang di pa alam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Beware of Exchange Road, Ortigas Centre - Counterflowing, TVR & License Confiscation