New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post
    well last time na gumastos ako ng malaki almost 40k in one day (baby supplies, grocery stuff n misc stuff), BPI called me up through my cellphone to confirm my purchases, now that is the best security, para kung may erratic spending patterns, mahuhuli agad nila.

ok talaga BPI
    Even Citibank... ginawa na din sa akin yan before when I used my CC to purchase airline tickets (MNL to LAX).

===

Another tip for CC users.

If you can get your CC's annual fee waived, have one CC with a low credit limit for use in dubious places (such as restos or deserted gasoline stations) where you cannot see your card being swiped.

Then save you CC with the high credit limit only for merchants/stores where you can see them swiping/handling your CC.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post
    ===

Another tip for CC users.

If you can get your CC's annual fee waived, have one CC with a low credit limit for use in dubious places (such as restos or deserted gasoline stations) where you cannot see your card being swiped.

Then save you CC with the high credit limit only for merchants/stores where you can see them swiping/handling your CC.

...pero...sayang ang points...:nerves:

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    bpi tumatawag din sa celpon ko kapag nagppurchase ako online. kasi medyo malaki around $600 yata. ewan ko kapag around $100 lang.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post
    well last time na gumastos ako ng malaki almost 40k in one day (baby supplies, grocery stuff n misc stuff), BPI called me up through my cellphone to confirm my purchases, now that is the best security, para kung may erratic spending patterns, mahuhuli agad nila.

ok talaga BPI
    tinawagan din ako ng metrobank regarding this matter when i pay the repairs of our pajero. i think standard ito. pero the best way pa rin is to record your transaction/purchase everytime you use your CC. since meron pala ganito, irerecord ko na ulit lahat ng nagagamit ko sa card.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    HSBC also calls whenever I make big purchases.

Yung picture sa card, hindi rin effective kung na-clone yung card mo. They can always replace the picture with their own in reproducing the CC.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Dapat pala mas doble ingat tayong mga credit card holders. Wala naman mawawala kung mag iingat. Hindi maganda ang pakiramdam ng naisahan ka.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yup tumatawag din sa akin bank, pero usually tumatawag sa akin pag sa abroad ako gumamit.....

8. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    I remember an incident before when my dad's card was cloned.

We were not aware of it but when my dad wanted to use the card, the terminal would alway say to call the bank.

This happened twice and since the places where he used it knows my dad, they gave back the card and my dad called the bank the next day.

Apparently, the card was cloned when my dad used it in one of the restos in Libis.

There was activity that was not typical of my dad's spending patterns therefore they suspended the card.

Further investigation of the bank showed that my dad's card was not the only one cloned and that this had been going on for quite sometime in that area.

Some of of the transactions included: P20,000 worth of toys from Toy Kindom in SM Pampanga and P40,000+ worth of computer equipment!

They said that once a card is cloned, the info is written onto an expired card whose mag stripe had been wiped. They use mosquito coils or similar heat sources to re-flaten the used card and then re-embosse the info.

The bank just asked my dad to make a letter stating that he did not make those purchases and the bank issued him a new card.

My dad had a picture card but it didn't matter.

Caution is really advised when using one's credit card.

My cards was charged when I was scammed and when I informed the bank of what went down, they couldn't stop the transaction anymore and even told me to just go after the scammer myself.

I was still required to pay the whole amount which is now converted to an installment agreement of sorts and the bank issued me new cards with the last four numbers changed.

Since I was thinking of terminating the cards anyways, I decided to just pay up then eventually cut the cards.

Unfortunately for me, they did not suspend the cards so they are still charging me renewal fees! I'll see if I can do anything about this.

As for the chips in the cards, not everyone has a reader for them yet so if you notice, they still have the mag strip so it can still be used in establishments that do not have the chip reader yet.

While the chip makes the card more secure, it's pretty much useless unless there is a card reader for it.

I have an extension card with a picture on it, yes, they do not update the photos.

Follow all the safety tips for card use and be mindful of where you use it to be as safe from cloning as possible.

Still, sometimes, it's the luck of the draw and your card may be cloned so always review the transactions on your statement so that you can nip the transactions that are not yours in the bud so you won't have to pay for 'em.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Partly at fault din kasi mga cashiers/attendants, my signature is bara-bara usually pag dito, but they never questioned it...

When I was opening an account in HK a couple of years ago, took me friggin 30-40minutes to get three specimens of my signature to match hehe di pwede bara-bara.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by hahnvin View Post
    this is so 10 years ago. ngayon lang nadiscover ng nbi yan? hindi ganun kahirap gumawa nyang device na yan even way back. kaya nga sa ibang bansa hindi na magnetic strip ang ginagamit.

this only shows na huli talaga tayo sa advancements in banking and finance
    this is very true....... circa 1998, i was introduced to this type of hacking.... there was even a chatroom wherein you could trade CC's. these "carders" would then verify the card thru adult sites then after that they would use the cards to purchase goods from the net.

my wifey sometimes uses her mom's CC on gas. The way I see it, the procedure is the culprit. Hindi kasi mahigpit dito sa atin ang verification lalo na in using CC for transactions.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Beware: "Credit Card Cloning"