New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    everyone keeps complaining that u-turn slots are a headache because of swerving, pero now that a system has been implemented that minimizes swerving (u turns below flyovers only in libis) rinereklamo naman yung layo! hehe some people are never satisfied

i agree with oldblue. its not the u turn slots that cause traffic, but jeepneys and puvs. kahit sa libis area, pagkalampas nung jeepney bottlenecks sa eastwood gumagaan na ang traffic. kapag konti lang ang jeepney, you can really see the benefit of u turn slots kasi relaxed and steady speed lang ang pag-drive, unlike with stoplights where you have to stop every now and then.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    We've been complaining day in and day out of the traffic and I believe that the U-turn system is the only solution that made a major effect in the reduction of traffic since the advent of the flyovers.

Of course, it is not a perfect system, but now I can't blame the MMDA for doing nothing to alleviate the traffic in MM. At least it reduced the number of stop lights that will definitely cause traffice jams. You just wished that a lot of drivers would know how to use the u-turns effectively. One major concern is that most drivers turn immediately once they reach the u-turn, thus when they reach the other lane, they have to wait for a break in the oncoming traffic whereas MMDA had already blocked off a lane for the cars managing the u-turn.
    My concern more is on the safety aspect. Personally, the U-Turn system is a good idea, but the concrete barriers are terrible. Marami nang namatay, partly na rin dahil may pagkakaskasero yung motorista, but mainly because when the barriers were designed, safety was not included.

1. For barriers with painted arrows, hindi naman reflectorized yung paint. Useless pag
    gabi or heavy downpours. You can only see it 5 secs. before you smash into one.
    2. No reflectorized lights (parang cat's eye).
    3. No road paint or reflectorized signage, marking that the road merges into one, or that
    a U-Turn slot is approaching.
    4. For certain areas, esp. those which recorded fatalities, siguro better na fiberglass or
    plastic barriers na lang ang gamitin, instead of concrete. Sometimes kasi, may
    umuusling bakal pa, at walang pintura.

Lastly, they should ensure the areas approaching U-Turn slots are well-lighted.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    I never hit no barrier cuz I'm careful... cars have headlights... use them.

The U-turns have proven to be a great boon to me, as a motorist.

I think there's one small improvement to be made: Put a long pink fence on the sidewalks across U-turns... that way, no more PUV stops, at least until the end of the fence.

For those who think that the traffic light system is put to waste... take a course on cost management specifically on the cost-benefit analysis of non-performing assets... then you will understand.

BF for President!

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Why can't we be made to follow traffic rules and regulations? Kasi pasaway tayo? Walang disiplina? IMO, no. The problem is with enforcement. Why do we magically turn into law abiding motorists while abroad? Takot lang nating mahuli, which is exactly the point.

So now, instead of strictly enforcing traffic rules, we have U-turns. Does it work? It depends. What's the tradeoff? Safety. Is it worth it? You decide.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    not at all times. lalo na pag malayo ang iikutan.
    case in point: i always go to obrero st in bagumbayan, libis in my mom's office. the u-turn slot that i usually approach is the one past the shopwise libis, then all of a sudden, the MMDA closed ALL the u-turn slots, whether going north or south of C5 from the C5-Katips Flyover until the Ortigas ext Flyover. They closed 3 u-turn slots in front of Ford Libis, in front of Shopwise and the one past the Green meadows. It really sucks, cause in the end, traffic pa din sa ilalim ng flyover sa only u-turn slot na tinira nila.

Not a good move MMDA. IMO

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    sometimes in some areas okay na okay siya, sometimes in some areas not really okay... but for me ung sa may naia area okay yung ginawa nila na tinanggal ung stoplights and ginawang uturn slots, now smooth flowing na kahit na rush hour, ang nagkulang lang sa mmda eh ung 4 ung uturn slots 2 lang ung may barricade, ung 2 pa wala so hence it makes some barumbadong sugapang kaskasero takes up the outer lang just to make a u-turn, making the lane they occupied non passable to vehicles not making a u-turn...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ang napapansin ko na lang palang "bottlenecks" ngayon diyan sa stretch ng libis na yan are the pedestrian croossings...sana may pedestrian overpasses na..are you listening BF? ;)
    Got Mazda?-http://www.MAZDAtech.org [SIZE="1"]est. 2000[/SIZE]
    got mazda 2? -> mazda2ners

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    bali-baligtadin pa din, jeepney saka puv pa din problema! hindi u-turn. kaya nag-lock sa libis dahil sa mga jeepney before eastwood and jeepney before flyover
    ito ata talaga malaking problema..kahit hindi rush hour sila nag bibigay ng traffic,dito lang sa congressional road kaya nag traffic sa Uturn ng EDSA sa tapat ng Iglesia Ni kristo dahil doon sa mga Bus at Jeepney .nag aabang ng Pasahero papuntang Project 8 ang NOVA..
    ang mg aenforcer panay whistle at sensyas lang tagal naman umabante mga bus at jeepney may protection nila

9. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    i agree, kelangn tlga e patinuin ang pag enforce ng traffic rules. kya lng nmn tlga hindi nababawasan mga problema dahil kulang sa disiplina karamihan ng drivers lalo na ng mga PUVs. tama si sir mbeige, isa lng tong band aid sa totoong problema. discipline and tlgang dapat mg improve....

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I am for the closing of the libis U-turn slots. BTW, the division of the road in Marcos Hi-way (going to Sta Lucia) is so effective also.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Bayani's U turn system: Do you agree with it?