The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Ano ba ito: 1 hurt as shuttle bus falls from Skyway | Inquirer News

Mahina ang railing ng Skyway ah

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    It really makes me wonder if something really is wrong with the design or sturdiness of the railings at Skyway.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    the railing is not weak.. its the design of the railings.. if you take a good look at the railings, it seems high enough to prevent vehicles from falling over. unfortunately there's that cement curb sticking out from the bottom of the railing serving as the base of the railing.. i think once the tire hits that part it lifts the vehicle high enough that with enough momentum a car or a bus can actually be thrown over the railings. can someone else explain in easier terms what im trying to say.. if anyone understood what im trying to say.. heheh
    Last edited by cocoy; March 2nd, 2014 at 06:03 PM.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Basically, the proper design for the bottom of the curb at the railing is a slope angled up to catch the vehicle and redirect it back onto the road. Dunno why they don't do that since: a.) there is no sidewalk, anyway, and b.) they already have the forms to copy, in the portable barriers they use:

Alternative would be a low-profile barrier like so:

The idea is not to catch the bus or truck, but to push it back by redirecting the force of impact. If you have a vertical surface to catch the vehicle, it will simply accept the brunt of the impact and collapse if the vehicle is heavy enough.

As you can see... the Skyway has very square kerbs.

The upgraded portions of the SLEX now use properly designed barriers for the median in some areas:

Woe to you if you should fall off the shoulder, though...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Basically, the proper design for the bottom of the curb at the railing is a slope angled up to catch the vehicle and redirect it back onto the road. Dunno why they don't do that since: a.) there is no sidewalk, anyway, and b.) they already have the forms to copy, in the portable barriers they use:

I've tested these barriers already (on the Buendia - Kalayaan/Fort ramp). A stoned driver cut into me (yes, he hit me on my side door already) and i nudged the barrier. My tires went up and down the angled portion. There was no severe damage save for the dent caused by the stoner. PDR and wheel alignment fixed all.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Here's the video of that incident, it seems like the driver of the Fortuner was drunk or fell asleep behind the wheel.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/video/nat...r-falls-skyway

7. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Why does it seem to be that the identity of the driver of the Fortuner is witheld? While the name of the coaster is mentioned.

When I look at the video, to me, it appears the Fortuner swerved, bumped into, and caused the coaster to lose control and fall off the skyway.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ano727 View Post
    Why does it seem to be that the identity of the driver of the Fortuner is witheld? While the name of the coaster is mentioned.

When I look at the video, to me, it appears the Fortuner swerved, bumped into, and caused the coaster to lose control and fall off the skyway.
    Nabibili media sa atin, ganyan din sa mga malls. Maraming hindi nababalita dahil nag suhol. Tulad noong Ondoy, may mga nalunod sa loob ng mall pero hindi nila ibinalita. Ganyan rin doon sa aksidente sa batang nahulog sa escalator, hindi binabanggit sa TV yung pangalan ng mall.

Sent from the Twilight Zone...

9. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by e2romo View Post
    Nabibili media sa atin, ganyan din sa mga malls. Maraming hindi nababalita dahil nag suhol. Tulad noong Ondoy, may mga nalunod sa loob ng mall pero hindi nila ibinalita. Ganyan rin doon sa aksidente sa batang nahulog sa escalator, hindi binabanggit sa TV yung pangalan ng mall.

Sent from the Twilight Zone...
    Ang mga media sa atin ay talo pa ang attorney, nakunan na sa cctv ung mga magnanakaw at identified, ibabalita pa din na ang nahuli ay suspect sa pagnanakaw, para bang umaasa na pag pinanood ulit ung cctv e pwede pang maiba ung ending.

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    just want to comment, parang OT cguro to.. but i just get annoyed when a mini bus is called a coaster...why cant it just be called a mini bus.. a coaster is a mini bus made by toyota, a mini bus Rosa is mini bus made by Mitsubishi, a county mini gus is made by hyundai. a civilian is a mini bus made by nissan. a combi mini bus is made by Kia. anyways just ranting. heheh.. but i think the MINI BUS that fell off the skyway, is a hyundai county.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast