New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    [SIZE=3]We got a call from my eldest sister very early this morning informing us that she will not be able make it to Manila today because she and her driver met an accident in San Miguel, Tarlac. Four vehicles were involved: a tractor, a Goldilocks delivery van, a funeral hearse and her green Sorento EX.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Nabangga ng Goldilocks van yung tractor na walang tail lights then yung funeral hearse nabangga yung likod ng Goldilocks van. Then the Sorento hit the funeral hearse. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Thank God ok naman ate ko and buti nalang naka seatbelt sila. Sa lakas ng impact, hindi na mabuksan yung door sa driver's side. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]My sister and his husband were wondering why the airbags didn't work kasi wasak yung harap. But at least the car served its purpose because they are safe. I also told my sister to send some pictures.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Good to hear na ok ang sister mo sir...

pero the way you describe malakas yung impact cguro more than 50kph dapat yung airbag nag deploy na yun...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Impact speed does not really have much to do with SRS deployment. It has more to do with decelleration (measured in G's). The owner's manual only provides a ballpark figure in terms of speed (and we all know how big ballparks are). If the Sorento was already braking prior to impact and it's crush structure has absorbed the impact sufficiently, then the SRS module will deem that it is unecessary to deploy the SRS.

The fact that everyone was safe is already a testament to the vehicle's ability to absorb and redirect impact forces as it was designed to do.

No deployment means less chances of airbag induced injuries and less cost should the vehicle be deemed restorable. A new SRS module isn't exactly cheap (hence the rise of airbag thefts in the U.S.).

Doors flying open during crashes was a signifcant problems back in the day. That is why engineers err towards a design that will refuse inadvertent opening instead of flying open on impact. Of course, having operable doors is still the most ideal post-crash scenario.

Glad to know all the occupants were ok.

P.S. if that is a local Sorento diesel, it will only have driver's side SRS. Only the V6 models were locally released with dual SRS. A lot of gray market models also have dual SRS irregardless of trim level.
    Last edited by OTEP; January 25th, 2007 at 11:25 PM.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    buti walang injuries sa ate mo. how about occupants of the other vehicles? what time nangyari yung accident?

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    carlo ok naba sis mo,good thing seat belt siya=)

baka yun impact ng collision e sa harap, pag sa medyo kanto ata nakalagay yung trigger to open the air bag, im not sure, but its how toyota pipol explained to my friend when his air bag didnt went on after his collision.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Ito ba yung text mo kanina? Good thing they're all right.

Just thought about it... sabi mo wasak daw yung suspension din sa left front, pati driver's side door... so possibly hindi centered yung impact. Kahit anong off-centering, di sure na magdedeploy ang airbag (have had off-centered impacts in SRS-equipped cars... no deployment).

And, like OTEP said... since nag-bra-brake na yung Sorento, baka di na sapat ang lakas para mag-deploy.

Pics na bukas!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the explanation about the airbags.

*boybi, around 5am nangyari yung accident. Papunta kasi ng Manila today ate ko. She came from Binmaley, Pangasinan. Maaga siya umalis kasi after lunch balik agad ng Pangasinan.

kuwento pa ng ate ko, kakahatid lang daw ng cadaver ng hearse na nabangga nila. yikes!
    Last edited by carlocaraddict; January 26th, 2007 at 01:05 AM.

Good to know that your sister is ok.

Ok here's the scenario, Sorento was doing about 50kph, truck makes a sudden brake (baka may tumawid, I think they were on a two lane road in tarlac), car behind it hits it, as well as 2 more cars.... * 50kph how far do you have to go before you make a full stop in a panic situation? Thats where ABS/driver skill/reaction come in.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Diyan importante ang driver skill and training. With ABS, the advantage is that you can brake and steer at the same time. So even if the distance is inadequate to fully stop the vehicle, you still have a chance of clearing the obstacle to avoid crashing.

Kaso walang ABS ang Sorento unless gray market or V6 version. You need more skill and concentration because the burden of modulating the brakes is upon the driver.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    The other thing is: at that moment of panic, a driver will be looking at the car in front as he braces for impact. And more often than not, the car goes where you are looking. So it takes some training and self control to look at alternatives to the left or right and steer to that clear path.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Accident in San Miguel, Tarlac this morning