New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Hello guys. I have a stroy to tell.

Last week, I was involved in a vehicular accident in an intersection without a stoplight in Bulacan. I was going straight through the intersection when this car suddenly popped in view(it was 11pm and the road has an island partially covering the road from the other street), and I have no time to react so I hit the front passenger side of the car.

The car has 1 passenger aside from the driver. We brought the passenger to the nearest hospital for checkup. He was released from the hospital after abought 5 hours, suffering only "bugbog" on his right arm and the driver suffering nothing.

Since the car has no comprehensive insurance, I said that my insurance would cover their medical and repair bills on their vehicle.

Now, the plot thickens.

Yesterday, the driver and the passenger called me, asking me to pay them "moral damages" for the risk on their life, and for the days that they were unable to go to work because of their medical checkups, and for the time they were unable to use their car. They also told me that If I will not pay them, they will send me an attorney's letter.

Question lang guys, can they really demand such things?

Another question, ako ba talaga ang merong kasalanan sa incident? I have the right of way, since I was in the highway, and they were coming from a small road. Though I was the one who hit them, kahit anung gawin ko ba ako ang may kasalanan?

I just needed some opinion from other people if I'll just have to pay them what they ask or refuse to pay them and bring the case to court if ever.

Thanks guys.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Question lang guys, can they really demand such things?
    When you take into account all the legal mumbo-jumbo - Yes.

Pero minsan nadadaan naman iyan sa matinong pakiusapan. Hindi naman lahat ng tao ay a-hole. When our car crashed after some hotshot rice racer thought he could take it on, hindi naman namin siya siningil ng kung ano pang 'moral' damages at kung ano ano pang on the side. Basta naipagawa niya yung sasakyan (at a relatively inexpensive Php50k). Hindi na nga namin siya siningil para dun sa nabutas niyang gulong.

Minsan marami talagang medyo uhaw sa pera. hehehe.

Dapat may police report at complete documentation ang crash niyo. Kasi idedetermine pa ng imbestigador kung sino ang at fault.

Sa amin sa San Ildefonso, the vehicles on the national highway always have the right of way. Vehicles can only merge once clear.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    given na you were on the main highway and sila sa smaller road, you get the right of way. i hope you had a police report for this so that they cannot sue you, since technically, sila may kasalanan.

now as for "moral damages", that's bullcrap. heck, that's just a fender bender and not stalking or crap like that. but then again, i am posting with a hot head right now (hahahahaha long story).

4. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Kahit ako ang bumangga, sila pa rin ba ang may kasalanan?

Actually meron na kaming initial na agreement na magbibigay ako kanila ng small amount, parang pa-konswelo nalang since merong nasaktan. And I thought okay na kami dun. Yesterday lang sila tumawag na humihingi sila ng mas malaking amount.

Another question, diba meron namang emergency leave ang mga employees(call center agents sila)? Bakit nila ako sisingilin sa days na hindi sila nakapasok?

Thanks for the help again guys.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    How much are they asking?

They have the right to claim against the offending party the lost time and income due to an accident. If you are kind enough, you could haggle or bargain.

Since they have legally threatened you already, let them make good of the threat. I doubt if they would pursue it.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Wow, laking US siguro yung nabangga mo...

You guys should've had a written agreement that frees you from the liability after the first hospital visit....

Right now, you're best bet is to consult a lawyer as well.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If they will not back down, you can also file a legal counter-complaint of psychological trauma due to their gross negligence in following traffic rules (right of way) in crossing a major intersection.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    imho...make them push through with their threat. pag naunahan ka ng ganyan talo ka eh. laki din ng abala sa kanila nyan in case they push through with it, tapos ma-re-realize nila na baka sila may kasalanan dahil nasa right of way ka.

if they push through with it, go with GH's advice. just make sure the accident is properly documented (with police reports, medical reports, etc.)

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    grabe naman yan. give them a hand, they ask for the entire arm..

anyway, like what the other posts said, where's the police report? and secure a copy of the medical certificate stating what you said in your post (yung bugbog and the other guy / driver with no damage..)

then when they threaten legal action again, i-call mo.

remember, ikaw pa right of way.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the comments guys.

We do have the police report, and yung medical report, di pa nakukuha ng insurance and wala pa rin akong copy nun.

What I said to them is that aside from the expenses covered by the insurance, wala na akong mabibigay sa kanila. Since yun ang purpose ng insurance diba? Para wala na akong intindihin sa mga incidents like this. Am I right on this one?

Yung initial agreement namin, para wala na silang masabi ay magbibigay ako 2,500 pesos, since yun lang ang kaya kong ibigay, and nag-agree sila dun, and documented by text messages saved on my phone. Ngayon, 25,000 pesos na ang hinihingi nila.

Question lang guys, magkano ba ang mag-file ng case? Baka dun palang lugi na sila hehehehe. Tsaka anung kaso ang pwede nilang isampa sakin?

Thanks for the help guys.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Accident Agreement