New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    ang alam ko daewoo brand before was either import or carried by columbian motors( which carried the subaru, kia, daihatsu, and the forgoten also: fiat!)

2. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    alam ko naglabas sila ng 4G92T na hatch eh... limited edition ata ng facelifted RP Wiras

3. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Tata Sierra yung name ng SUV na yun by proton pilipinas

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Sayang nga ang Proton. One of my cheap dream cars is the Proton Satria GTi. It's a 1.8 liter three door hatch based on the Lancer/Mirage of yesteryear. The good part is that it's got carbon fiber trim, sports seats, a tuned exhaust and suspension, and a re-welded chassis (for extra structural stiffness)... it is supposed to handle very well for not that much money.

Proton only started with borrowed Mitsubishi tech and cars, but they've tried very hard to develop their own and differentiate themselves from their donors (much like how Hyundai and Kia started). Problem is, the supporting industrial infrastructure isn't well developed enough (again, that problem with made in Malaysia components) and now, with the AFTA looming, the Malaysian government can't keep them protected for much longer.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    btw, with regards to the Satria, it has a Lotus tuned suspension. mas OK pa nga sana kung yung mga kotse di madala ng Mitsu ang dinala nila dito like the Cyborg in the form of the Satria. baka naging successful sila dito.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    The Malaysian local car industry was fiercely protected during Mahathir's time. You'd have no choice but to buy local because foreign cars are so heavily taxed. But that protection has been recently removed to allow a more level playing field for foreign car makers. Proton knows that it cannot rely on the government for protection and must now make quality cars in order to compete. The spent a lot on new technologies and R&D, even bought Lotus to bring in much need expertise and input on their new car lineup.

That said, I'd still wouldn't buy a Proton for reason that I will explain below.

Proton, btw, also sells cars here in Australia. Their model lineup are the Gen.2 (small car category against the Corolla, Mazda3, Lancer and Astra), the Savvy (light car category against the Yaris, Mazda2, Colt and Barina), and the Jumbuck (small utility vehicle). The Gen.2 and Savvy are entirely-Proton designed and manufactured, with some input from Lotus. While the Jumbuck is a small pickup truck built on the Satria/Wira platform which is based on the old Mitsubishi Lancer platform.

Equipment-level and price are very competitive. Base models have power-everything, dual-airbags and ABS, with the 1.6L Gen.2 starting at A$17,990 and the 1.2L Savvy starting at A$12,990. Design isn't too bad either, with both the Gen.2 and the Savvy showing modern lines. Its in the build-quality where it takes a hit. I've examined both cars (but not test-driven) during the Adelaide Motor Show. In the Savvy, the plastics are thin and easily scratched, and looked like that they might easily fall off. The whole car itself looks poorly-built it doesn't look and feel solid you'd think its built out of aluminum instead of steel. The Gen.2 is only marginally better.

Overall, I'd say Proton is below the Korean brands but still miles behind the Japanese, or the Europeans. Proton needs a lot of catching up to do if it wants to compete in the an already crowded market.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pet project ni mahathir yang proton (partly owned by him), it gone sour nung mawala siya sa power, kaya nagiingay siya panay kontra sa present malaysian government hehehe

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    was able to ride a black Proton Waja in KL, had full bodykit too lol, interior is just ok...plasticky and basic.

like this but in black.

there's a waja limousine too:

9. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    [IMG]http://i1.autoworld.com.my/userimages/photoalbum/Cyrobyte*1/2439/74F86245550.jpg[/IMG]

btw, here's the rumored Satria replacement, the SRM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2005

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
What happend to proton yun malaysian car