New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    If you could find somebody who can tune motec or fcon vpro,He's the man.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    SR20, for me... if you can find an SR20VE, you'll have great power and a little less trouble getting parts than if you go with the SR16VE... the 16 is a very rare engine, and parts will be a b*tch to find.

Me, I like the turbo option (SR20DET), but that's kind of hard on gearboxes.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    I think there's really no "best" tuner garage. They all cater to different fields. I have also heard stories of this shop and that shop. Some will milk you for every centavo. Then there are those that take short cuts on jobs. Those shops are the one's i hate the most. Shops can charge a bit extra for the labor, which i don't mind, but please do the job properly and the correct way. Do your homework and find a "tuner" that you can trust. Or if you are really into "tuning," try it yourself (just like me ).

4. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dhel View Post
    Hey Guys! It's been a while huh? kinda busy with my proj. "angry S14" lately.. anyways my neighbor / friend which I have convinced lately to become a SeRius tuner had this problem-- he had this sleek B13 which will have an engine swap soon... with either an SR16 or an SR20.

I gave him some facts I've learned back when I was still in U.S, but mostly about Se-R engines (SR20) because that's whats rather popular there.. but I also know for a fact that the rare JDM 197hp all-N.A 1.6L SR16 engine is a damn powerfull cookie (the most hp output of a 1.6 N.A engine during it's time), I actually remember back in Cali where Civic type R boy ricers usually avoid encounters to Sentras with this powerplant on. I think it's one of the strongest N.A engine of all time.

So guys a li'l help pls.?
    For me it's the SR20... since that is a B13 swak dyan SR20DET from a Sunny GTiR. The SR16VE is actually more powerful in the "N.A" language than the SR20 if it's a non turbo but it's very rare and tune parts for it is very hard to find unless you live in Tokyo. Anothe reason I'm more into the SR20 besides it being the "it" engine now is that, it has greater potential in terms of Power and Performance when tuned.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    To make sr20det into 400-500hp range you need to invest around 8-10k in US dollars

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Not to mention the number of trannies you'll need to buy as back-up.

No need for more than 200-250 whp if you're going with a B13. Any more and you'll go from having a ridiculously quick and sweet little car to having a torquey monster you can't use full throttle on... ever.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    he he... right. Not unless your friend's going to make that B13 a track or drag car.

Hey how about the li'l sleeper GA16DE? I guess bro Dhel you also know that the GA16 is very tunable lalo na you came from the states, as far as I know there are many GA16 tuners there. Is your friend's B13 not a GA16?

8. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    GA16de is weak,SR20det is the choice of tuners here.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's relatively weak, but you can still eke out maybe 200-250 whp out of one with a turbo.

For street use, 160-180 whp is possible and quite safe. You can ask Ghosthunter about it, as he used to have a turbocharged GA16DE (I think it was probably around 150 whp). That should more than satisfy your need for speed on Manila's streets.

Right now he's running a naturally aspirated SR20... but I think he's thinking of going turbo again or maybe nitrous... damn the guy... he's already faster than me and he's thinking of ways to go faster still...

10. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Yep your right dude Ignited there are a lot of GA16 tuners back in the states... it's one of the so called "sleeper" there, a lot of tuner parts for it dun. And you guys are also correct that it is weaker than the SR20 but it being a light weight engine compensates with it's lack of power. Heck! there are GA16 sentras there eating Se-R's, Si's and.. would you believe.. even Evos!!

GA16 tuners there usually have GA16DET, have turbos installed... usually around 250hp * wheels. And to my main man guru Niky, actually there are a lot of B13s there above 250 horses, but ofcourse that's an SE-R. You will see them at SE-R cups, the B13 SE-R actually was a popular choice together w/ B15 SE-R.. some even say the B13 was the best SE-R ever built to date. The B14 naman was a bit criticized for being a non-performer.

Well, the reason I told him to swap his engine coz he's was not a GA16 in the first place.. he got the car from he's sister and wants it to be he's 2nd project car, he's first was a phdm SiR. He heard a lot daw about the "it" engine in the states the SR20 and the oh so jdm SR16, and I guess he wants a piece of the action.

Tuner's Lounge- What's the best tuner shop around?