New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    say you have a small car, say a 1.5L vios or jazz or matrix. magandang idea kaya ung bumili ka ng small trailer(think U-HAUL in american films) to expand its carrying load?

in the first place, would a vios or jazz have enough torque for this?

granting that there is enough pulling power, what are the potential dangers while driving with one? delikado ba on sudden stops?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It is possible. Not that they are ideal towing rigs but they can be made to work. In Europe, even base model VW Golfs can be outfitted for trailer duty. Check your owner's manual. There is a towing section there.

But you'd have to fabricate your own load distributing hitch as well as wiring for the trailer. Trailers can either have electric brakes or surge/inertia brakes. Electric brakes are preferred.

Malaking factor din ang driver. Make sure you know how to handle a trailered vehicle.

Re: Hp and torque, I used to pull a military trailer using a N/A Mitsu Pajero with only 72 horsepower and 108 ft-lb of torque. Most econocar engines are stronger than that.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    come to think of it, parang me malaking potential ung CRDi based cars -- matrix, getz, accent. definitely not the coolest looking setup, pero when push comes to shove...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You could do it, but you'd have to have the hitch fabricated or installed.... and reinforced. Most towing hooks on compacts are only built for light duty or emergency use, and it would be kind of embarrassing to have them give way on the road.

and dangerous...

Your only real problem with a modern compact is that the plastic bumper comes all the way down. You'd have to mount the hook low to clear the bumper, and it might scrape on bumps.

It would be nice to get a trailer with working signal lights and brakes, but compacts don't have the connectors to make those work... hmmmm.... masayang DIY project yan, ah....

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Check your drivers license may restriction code yan for articulated vehicles.

P

6. Join Date
    May 2004
    Magandang idea yan. I am also thinking of a trailer na pupuede sa 4x4 namin. But the conditions of our road in the Philippines will just be a nightmare to your car, bka maging kalampagin lang kotse mo. I've experienced towing a trailer with one cubic meter of rock in it, niyayanig ng trailer un kotse pag nalulubak.
    Took some photos of my car when I rented a trailer.

7. Join Date
    May 2004
    More photos, baka magkaroon ka ng idea. I've seen some nice trailer around here, kunan ko ng pics pag nagkaroon ako ng time.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    hmm, pwede kayang lagyan ng 'suspension system' between the trailer and car, para di gaano yanigin? pero pihado magiging mahal ang setup B)

ngayon ko lang narealize; delikado pala kung marear end ka no? baka matuhog pa ung trunk

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    *nigo... where did they weld the hitch under the car?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    malamang meron sa australia nyang trailer hitch, nakabili kaibigan ko doon pang 97 corolla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
trailer: good idea?