New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
    its a TRICYLE isn't it?!?

palagay ko pede irehistro yan dito.
    I guess you're right. Technically and legally (I think) it is a trike. Per LTO, "MC refers to motorcycles and mopeds, both with and without sidecar; motor vehicles with a seat or saddle for use of the rider and is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground. Four wheels may be in contact with the ground when two of the wheels are functional parts of the sidecar."

But that would imply I can't use it on major thoroughfares, including the NLEX/SLEX, wouldn't it?

As an aside, even though technically it is correct, lumping the XR3 together with tricycles seems rather bereft of any aesthetical rationale, don't you think so?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Who knows how the government sets the criteria for road-worthy vehicles?
    That's exactly my problem. The rules are somewhat ambiguous, the implementing guidelines even worse, and actual implementation simply inconsistent if not non-existent. Thus it is difficult to ascertain which is legal and which is not.

The posts in this thread certainly do reflect the confusion, as some of them even reflect my own level of ignorance.

But personally, the fact that other vehicle owners get away with illegal or iffy stuff (wangwangs, tinted plates, etc.) has no bearing on my decision-making. I just want to abide by the law for the simple reason it will hopefully mean less hassle for me. But if in doing so, it renders the XR3 impractical for me, then I guess it is a no-go. Of course, as others have pointed out, safety is the other major consideration.

Anyway, since tatlong beses na akong nakakakita ng Smart Fortwo cars sa EDSA, baka nga pwede yan dito, although I'd guess there would be certain limitations.
    Well, the Smart Fortwo has four wheels, which makes it a lot simpler for LTO guys.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    They have something similar here in Cali and it's classified as a motorcycle by the DMV. I presume it could or you could argue with LTO that it's a motocycle.
    Hi redorange,

I think you must be referring to either the Tri-Magnum or the T-Rex, both of which are quite popular in the Bay Area. In fact, the San Leandro Car Show often features one if not both of them. Incidentally the Tri-Magnum is also designed by Riley.

And yes, they are classified as MCs, which brings about its own set of restrictions and requirements.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    As long as the vehicle has working headlights, tail-lights and signal lights, it's road legal. Never mind if it has the structural integrity of wet spaghetti.

As long as it has more than 400ccs of engine, any two or three wheeled vehicle can get on the highways. They might require you to wear a helmet if they classify it as a motorcycle, though. I talked to the owner of a micro-jeep (basically, an open-topped imitation Wrangler built on a Suzuki SuperCarry wheelbase... about seven feet long and small as hell), and he said they required him to wear a helmet due to the vehicle's size or lack of belts... not sure which.

The limitations for EDSA are similar. Pedicabs and Tricycles aren't allowed, but scooters and motorbikes are.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by architect View Post
    I just want to abide by the law for the simple reason it will hopefully mean less hassle for me...
    stay conservative then para "iwas pusoy" ka, unless you know someone within the hierarchy, or use a prova plate...

just curious, how fast does that thing go bec the chassis looked like it underwent wind tunnel testing- makes it harder to classify for homologation purposes. why not change the chassis to somewhat familiar and less threatening (the thing might scare everyone in the highway you know) like those multi purpose cabs perhaps they might overlook the missing wheel?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    stay conservative then para "iwas pusoy" ka, unless you know someone within the hierarchy, or use a prova plate...
    It is not a question of whether I have connections or not, because if the registration is illegal to begin with, I will be frequently stopped by the authorities, and rightfully so. That is what I would like to avoid.

just curious, how fast does that thing go bec the chassis looked like it underwent wind tunnel testing- makes it harder to classify for homologation purposes. why not change the chassis to somewhat familiar and less threatening (the thing might scare everyone in the highway you know) like those multi purpose cabs perhaps they might overlook the missing wheel?
    Max speed is approximately 135 Kph. It basically has the same form factor as other 3 wheeled cars that have two front wheels. From the front, it would appear like an ordinary car with four wheels (notwithstanding the aerodynamic shape). But from the rear, the third wheel stands out in the sense that the 4th wheel is missing.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    As long as the vehicle has working headlights, tail-lights and signal lights, it's road legal. Never mind if it has the structural integrity of wet spaghetti.

As long as it has more than 400ccs of engine, any two or three wheeled vehicle can get on the highways. They might require you to wear a helmet if they classify it as a motorcycle, though. I talked to the owner of a micro-jeep (basically, an open-topped imitation Wrangler built on a Suzuki SuperCarry wheelbase... about seven feet long and small as hell), and he said they required him to wear a helmet due to the vehicle's size or lack of belts... not sure which.

The limitations for EDSA are similar. Pedicabs and Tricycles aren't allowed, but scooters and motorbikes are.
    Thanks for the informative reply. Based on the LTO website, it looks like it will be classifed as an MC. But if it has seat belts, hopefully, helmets wouldn't be required.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    From http://www.rqriley.com/xr3.htm

...and if it is legal to drive it in the streets of MetroManila (as well as NLEX/SLEX), will it be safe from buses and large SUVs, considering the low-profile?
    Legal but it will be classified as a motorcycle. And if the engine is more than 400cc, it should be legal on the expressways as well.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Hi redorange,

I think you must be referring to either the Tri-Magnum or the T-Rex, both of which are quite popular in the Bay Area. In fact, the San Leandro Car Show often features one if not both of them. Incidentally the Tri-Magnum is also designed by Riley.

And yes, they are classified as MCs, which brings about its own set of restrictions and requirements.
    The T-Rex is one but they also these.

http://www.zapworld.com/ZAPWorld.aspx?id=890

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    imo, any type of transport that is not running w/ 4 wheels would be considered a tri/bicycle/motorcycle

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Is This Street Legal in the Philippines?