New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What makes a true sports car?
    What's your idea of a sports car?
    What's the best sports car for you?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    1/2. Simple, fun to drive. RWD, but rear-biased AWD is ok. Definitely no front wheel drivers.
    3. Mazda Miata (old one)

3. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    hth -- Car Classifications according to Wikipedia.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Basically, according to the classic definition, the few production cars that actually qualify are the Miata, the Lotus Elise and the Toyota MR-S (there may be others, but they escape my mind).

Heavier cars don't actually count. The Mustang doesn't. The 350Z doesn't. The Evo doesn't. I think the Boxster and Z4 are borderline, but they're light and low enough to count.

Because, according to the classic definition, a sportscar is low, light, seats one or two people only, is usually roofless, and is designed for racing.

If you take the last part into account... there are no sportscars on the road besides the odd Super Seven clone or Caterham, because anything that has a trunk and glovebox isn't designed for racing.

But that definition is for purists who think that all cars should be carburated and should still have lap-belts.

For me, my four-door saloon is a sports car. It's relatively light, it's relatively quick, and it handles like a dream. It's front-wheel drive, yeah, but nobody's perfect... :hysterical:

I think this article sums it up best:

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/2-11-2006-88657.asp

Road and Track, a leading automotive publication, summarizes the sports car definition debate with a simple observation: "Ask five people the exact definition of a sports car, and you'll likely get five different answers".

There is no clear-cut definition of what really is a sports car. The restrictive definitions of the past seem ill suited to categorize today's' diverse automotive offerings and common usage of the term runs contrary to most long-held definitions.

There is, however, a common thought that seems to run through almost all of the outlooks on the meaning of "sports car". If a car is designed with high performance or race-like capabilities in mind, it can probably be safely termed a sports car. Some purists may balk at such a liberal perspective, but alternative definitions fall far short of accurately distinguishing sports cars form regular production models.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

so yung lancer gsr at honda hatch hindi sports car, right? kahit na todo set-up?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    GSR or hatch na stock... nah.

Hatchback with a B18A, full race suspension and sticky tires... ...hehehe...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    For me, definitely a 2-door, convertible, lots of power, superb handling, driving with the ESP or DSC off, all options and a head-turner. Examples like a common 911, SL, SLK, Z3 or 4, not to mention other top far-reaching budget like Ferraris, etc.
    If four-doors, M5, CLS, E500, LS, C320s.
    Cars must be factory-standard specs., definitely not those common heavily modified cars you see on the roads.
    Toyota Celica, old one of my uncle.

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    Must have at least 200bhp and not necessarily a top-down.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Should definitely have that Angry front Look, with that very scary exhaust tone, cheap and affordable=p

many will say na di to sports car, which talaga hindi naman, pero ,for me eto sports car na gusto ko:

at ang pangarap kong r34 skyline GTR like ng kay autoplus or a tommikaira Rs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Sports Cars?