New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Is it true that short shifting saves gas? but does it have a bad effect on your car's engine? mostly when it rumbles and the engine almost dies because of that?

2. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    so its more on the good side? what's the bad end of short shifting? i mean only if its done incorrectly? will it damage the rubber seals in the ransmission or other parts?

Another question about what you have just mention on not wasting time on changing gears?

Is it ok to shift directly to 5th gear if your current gear is on the 3rd?

3. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    so its more on the good side? what's the bad end of short shifting? i mean only if its done incorrectly? will it damage the rubber seals in the ransmission or other parts?

Another question about what you have just mention on not wasting time on changing gears?

4. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by batusai_jr View Post
    Yes as long as you are travelling fast enough around 50 or more km/hr, but that also meant you are over using your 3rd gear. Over using the gear might not affect the transmission directly, but it will definitely affect your engine and fuel efficiency since you are pushing your engine to work harder when you have an option to lessen the burden by shifting to a higher gear (4th gear) prior to shifting to 5th.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by batusai_jr View Post
    I can't really say if it's on the good side because the bad end of short shifting is you use more fuel just to accelerate.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cktlcmd View Post
    I can't really say if it's on the good side because the bad end of short shifting is you use more fuel just to accelerate.

this confuses me now... i thought short shifting will save gas...

7. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Hahaha!

Me too...

I guess you will use more fuel if you accelerate with a higher gear than with a lower gear. Meaning you will not use fuel efficiently in higher gear when accelerating. If you use a lower gear in accelerating then you will use the fuel efficiently.

Something like that.

Short shifting can save gas if you do not intend to accelerate further. You'll just use it to maintain your speed and befriending momentum.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    anyways, my purpose is to save fuel...

Short shifting? (does it save fuel?)