New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dec1983 View Post
    5000km or 3months whichever comes first please correct me if im wrong. at least thats what i remembered what the toyota SA told me..

For me, I apply 5000 kms or 6 months whichever comes first.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    What the article didn't address is that using fully-synthetic motor oils (of the correct viscosity) will allow you to prolong the oil change interval, usually twice as long as compared to using dino/mineral oil.

Also, I disagree about the tire pressure listed on the door jamb as being the maximum pressure allowed. The REAL max pressure that the tire can hold is stamped on the sidewall. For instance, the typical 205/55 16 tires used on the Civic 1.8S has max pressure of 50-51 PSI, as indicated on the tire sidewall. However, the tire pressure listed on the door jamb as recommended by Honda is 32 PSI.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    That actually a good read, most apply for people who don't really maintain their own cars but fun to read. If I may add, when I was in Phil. was changing my mom's cars battery, a mechanic asked me not to put the new battery on the ground I asked why he replayed it will get discharge? don't know if thats a Filipino thing. but I didn't listen actually put the battery longer on the ground just to prove a point.

Myth: If you put your car battery on the ground it will get discharge

Reality: a car battery external is made out of propylene plastic and it will not conduct electricity.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Raines View Post
    Question: Can opening the hood upon getting home help the engine in any way?

Yep it does, but it's not quite necessary for road driving. Your cooling system and engine aren't quite thermally stressed enough in daily drives - it's perfectly okay if you don't do it.

At trackday events on the other hand, I've seen it's become somewhat of a standard practice to pop the hoods of cars after completing a series of hot laps and coming into the paddock. Everything is thermally stressed there - brakes, tires, drivetrain, cooling system and engine - so it becomes a good idea to do this and relieve the heat.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 4agze View Post
    That actually a good read, most apply for people who don't really maintain their own cars but fun to read. If I may add, when I was in Phil. was changing my mom's cars battery, a mechanic asked me not to put the new battery on the ground I asked why he replayed it will get discharge? don't know if thats a Filipino thing. but I didn't listen actually put the battery longer on the ground just to prove a point.

Myth: If you put your car battery on the ground it will get discharge

Reality: a car battery external is made out of propylene plastic and it will not conduct electricity.
    :funny:

Sabi yata kasi nung mechanic is that yung ground is negative so literally taken :rofl01: and the battery has positive ions with the casing of the battery acting as an insulator and now you have capacitance building up!
    :electricf:

6. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    dapat ba na kapag patay ang makina hindi dapat inaapakan ang accelerator pedal para hindi daw magoverflow ang gas, kasi daw pagnagkataon mahihirapan mag start ang makina..yan ang sabi ng tatay ko sakin...
    myth or reality?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by viel_dk View Post
    dapat ba na kapag patay ang makina hindi dapat inaapakan ang accelerator pedal para hindi daw magoverflow ang gas, kasi daw pagnagkataon mahihirapan mag start ang makina..yan ang sabi ng tatay ko sakin...
    myth or reality?
    Modern fuel-injected cars don't inject gasoline when the ignition is off. So it used to be true, but not anymore.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    myth or reality?
    Modern fuel-injected cars don't inject gasoline when the ignition is off. So it used to be true, but not anymore.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

'96 nissan senta po yung car, so hindi po sya nag ooverflow? right?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    '96 nissan senta po yung car, so hindi po sya nag ooverflow? right?
    Yup. That's about right.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Reality check on car-care myths