New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'm at the tail end of my restoration of a '60s car ('67 Mustang convertible) and we're at the stage of installing the trims and whatnots in the interior and body.

Question: Looking at the trims, i.e., frnt/rear bumper, door handles, window cranks, trunk door lock, light bezels, chrome mouldings, front grill etc... I found that the worn-out look (with a healthy dose of patina) gives the car a nice touch given the car's age.

My restorer, however, is suggesting if budget permits that I buy new trim parts like the parts enumerated above. Accdg to him, the new paint and seemless body work justifies such expense.

Personally, I prefer the worn-out but clean look. Guys, what do you think?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hmm, if it was my project, I'd get the new trims just because the wear will not match the condition of the rest of the car.

Give it time bud, it'll wear out evenly hehe.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Get new ones na lang.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i would go new as well, especially if you have/are going to replace the interior (like the leather seats) with new material. it would be cool to have a like-new 60's vehicle in the 2000's.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hey guys, i noted your ideas. i really appreciate it.

i just have to be careful since my budget has been eaten up largely by the engine rebuild and upgrade (to closely match cobra specs) hehehe!

but before going through the catalogue, we will try to visit some muscle car nuts in angeles pampanga to see if we can source some surplus trims.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Boss woodfire,

post naman pics of your ride once its done.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Altis6453
    Boss woodfire,

post naman pics of your ride once its done.

sure, no problem!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Refurbish or acquire repro parts for the bigger items.

For the smaller details, its nice to have some 'nostalgia' in them.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Woodfire, car all okay na? I find e bay a good source. A bunch of us are also consolidating items from the U.S.

Question on Restoration