New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    2004 was supposed to be General Motors' banner year of new products. headed by Bob Lutz, the General promised to introduce outstanding products to turn GM's fortune around. but 2005 is here and GM's new cars have missed the mark, either selling below prediction and sitting on dealers' lots; or getting below-grade reviews from consumers and critics alike. worse, GM (together with Ford) continue to lose market share in their hometurf the US to Japanese and even Korean automakers.

THE MISSES:

Pontiac G6
    replaced Pontiac's bestseller the Grand AM to ward off Camry's and Accord's unstoppable success, but despite rebates and Oprah's famous giveaway, the G6 is selling in much less number than the Grand Am's.

Pontiac GTO
    from Down Under based on the Holden Monaro, this car was criticized for its blah styling compared to its legendary forbears from which its name was derived. despite its 6.0L LS2 V8 producing 400hp, it has been a dud in the marketplace of musclecars.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    THE MISSES cont...

Pontiac Grand Prix
    Lutz said this is GM's BMW 3-series fighter.....(laugh,laugh)....LOL

Chevrolet SSR
    small truck,6.0L LS2 V8 390 hp, buyers--anyone?apparently no one,GM is stopping production temporarily to move units not moving in Chevy dealers' lots (350-day supply).
    Last edited by sikuya; March 13th, 2005 at 04:20 AM.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003

future Chevrolet HHR
    PT Cruiser wannabe, which in itself is old and stale. the PT's sales has been plunging year after year, so why should GM come up with this? since the SSR is GM's worst-selling vehicle, could this be not too far behind when released? might be wrong on this one, maybe it'll help GM get the turnaround.

FUTURE HITS?

Chevrolet Cobalt
    replaced the forgettable Cavalier, the Cobalt is said to be in line to go head-to-head against compact car kings Corolla and Civic, even Focus. engines are 2.2L I-4 145hp and 2.0L supercharged I-4 205hp
    Last edited by sikuya; March 13th, 2005 at 04:49 AM.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    FUTURE HITS? cont....

future Saturn Aura
    another GM answer to the Camry/Accord-dominated midsize car market, replacing the hopeless L-series and based on the Opel Vectra, powered by a 3.6L V6 producing 250hp

future Saturn Sky and its corporate sibling, Pontiac Solstice

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    At least GM got the rental car market cornered though. ^_^

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the GTO/Monaro is actually a pretty good car. they just priced it too high for the market...should've made it competitive with the Mustang.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    So they gave away dozens of G6s on Oprah and still can't sell them? Figures. The G6 is still traditional big american FWD, still heavier, less fuel efficient, and less sporty than the Japanese. Same goes for the Grand Prix.

The GTO would've sold better with a better design and lower price, true... but the Monaro isn't doing very well in Europe either.

The SSR is a piece of sh*t. Huge V8, lots of power, and slow as hell because it's heavier than most "SUVs"... what a laugh.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    May 2004
    It is true, indeed, that the SSR is not selling well, but admittedly, this car is not for the faint of heart nor for introverts. I've seen this vehicle in the showroom and on the highway, it is really a powerful car, other than being a huge vehicle. But its simply not my kind of car I'd like to be seen in!! He he he..if you know what I mean...

It has a RETRO design, but really it is new inside out! Built really solid with everything new...I like it but I would never buy it!

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Kinda like the Ford Thunderbird... 1000 pogi points, but nowhere near as sporty as cars costing $$$ less and consuming 1/10th the gas. :D

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the Aura looks nice... or is it just the rims?

while the Sky looks damn good... though it suspiciously resembles the Opel Speedster.

===

the GTO is a big COULD HAVE BEEN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
the painful misses and future hits(?) from GM