New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Ako naman hindi pa nakagamit ng tsikot na hindi pwedeng mag N habang tumatakbo...

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    what i do i shift to N and hand break pag stoplight na matagal, however pag di naman matagal ang stoplight i just step on the break

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    i do that when coming to a halt. pero pag tumaktakbo ka ng normal say, 70kph then nilagay mo sa "N" tapos binalik mo sa "D" minsan parang naco-confuse yung computer ng tranny eh... leading you to a WRONG RPM, or sometimes would GEAR HUNT pag ginawa mo yun.

on a stop, "N" plus handbrake ang practice ko. sometimes "P" lang pero kakatakot pag nabangga ka sa likod...Big time tranny repairs yun mas safer yung former method.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Not only that, shifting to N while at speed will allow the engine speed to reach idle and when you shift back to D, taas kagad ng RPM. Sira brake bands, clutch packs, and additional wear and tear on your transmission.

When in heavy traffic and you put it to N and pull on hand brake, this creates additional stress on the transmission because some of them have a pump that circulates ATF and when in N, the pump disengages. Hence, it basically heats up (no air passing through radiator either, to cool the ATF fluid).

Only put it to N when pushing the car like when it has a dead battery, this is of course during emergencies only and is done as a last resort.

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    jonski, number001,
    Just put it in 'N' when at a full stop so that the engine and tranny will be unloaded. Wearing out the tranny? Maybe that's the same guy that said fiddling with the thermostat on the a/c will wear it out. Well it can, but not within at least 5 years and not if you follow maintenance procedures at proper intervals. Our 1981 Benz has never given us problems regarding shifter or tranny wear. Yes, we put it in 'N' when stopped for extended periods (e.g. at a traffic light). The engine has so much torque, I get tired trying to hold it down with the brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post

When in heavy traffic and you put it to N and pull on hand brake, this creates additional stress on the transmission because some of them have a pump that circulates ATF and when in N, the pump disengages. Hence, it basically heats up (no air passing through radiator either, to cool the ATF fluid).

Only put it to N when pushing the car like when it has a dead battery, this is of course during emergencies only and is done as a last resort.

This is what I'm talking about before, two diverging view points! Both views makes sense, but just dont know which to follow.

To shift to N or not when in traffic, that is the question.

:D

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Heto ang keyword diyan:
    some of them have a pump that circulates ATF and when in N, the pump disengages.
    Unfortunately I have no idea which trannies are like that. On all our vehicles there is an ATF cooler and the ATF circulates as long as the engine is on. Btw, the ATF cooler does not need airflow to work. It is not an airconditioning condenser. It just needs to dissipate heat into the atmosphere (heat exchange) just enough to maintain optimum temp. (remember, cold and optimum are different things). A/C condensers on the other hand have to create a drastic temperature difference between atmospheric and cabin temperature.

I also don't know how a transmission can be stressed while at full stop and in neutral because only the vanes (fans) are disengaged and these fans have no cooling function (they are used to transmit engine power hece the turm 'slushbox'). We bench test vehicles and none have failed due to prolong idling in 'N'.

If shifting to 'N' is such a bad idea, I'd have replaced six transmissions already.

But then again, do whatever floats your boat. I'm just speaking from research and real world experience on this one.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    ako, i put it in Neutral kung naka stand still and i engage the handbrake para makapahinga yun foot ko... i also put it in N kung wala ako magawa habang mabilis... la lang.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Like Doc Otep mentioned, that's the key. Only some cars have the pump feature on the transmission that disengages when you shift to N and engine is running.

Just follow what your manual recommends. On mine it says that to shift to P when idling in standing traffic. That's why you also often see others turn on the reverse lights when they start moving, kasi nakalagay sila sa P. My mom loves to engage the E-brake and not shift the transmission at all, so nakalagay sa D pero it's not moving. Basically the same thing as stepping on the brake pedal.

Why don't you guys just shift to P para safe? But only do so when standing still! That's what the P is designed for, parking the car. I know that N is much closer, masmadali itulak forward yung lever to get it to N but since you don't know if your car has that pump feature I mentioned, better shift na lang to P. On mine I do know that the pump feature is there, I have an MB 300DT. So I shift to P.

I've already mentioned the dangers of shifting out of D and into N when at speed.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Ako, pag stop and go, I maintain it at 'D'. However, while waiting for the green light or at a standstill,- I normally shift it to 'N', while stepping on the brake or engaging the handbrake.

So far, it works for me...

10. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    i don't see why you can conserve momentum when you shift to neutral. for saftey reason, delikado ito coz you are eliminating the traction when you shift to neutral- making the vehicle lighter. even in the manual transmission, shifting from a gear to neutral while the vehicle is moving is a no-no.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
pag-neutral ng 'matic?