New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by resmile View Post
    Then, better to keep it at "D" and let your foot do the work sa brake pedal (that way, iwas frequent shifting between N-D-N di ba?). Also, di naman ganun kahirap yan, mas convenient pa nga compared to M/T.
    In routes na normal kung daanan ma calculate ko na ang tagal ng stop. Pag medyo matagal (meaning at least 1 minute) nag neutral ako. This is to relieve the pressure on the trasmission. I also think para maka tipid sa gas. Kaya lang di ko alam kung paano ang matipid ko sa gas. Pag di ako familiar sa place normally naka "D" ako. Paano kaya katipid sa gas ang naka stop at naka "D" compared sa naka neutral?

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    Notice ko din pag naka sunod ako sa mga naka A/T ang iba pag na-traffic umiilaw ang reverse lights nila. I think nag "P" sila. Is it a good practice to shift to P sa traffic compared to N at naka handbrake? Kaya pag go na ilaw muna ang reverse lights nila bago umandar

pag may eco mode, gamitin mo yun....otherwise, d ka lang...

p ka lang naman kung heavy traffic,e... kung normal traffic, N is fine....d kung alam mong split-second lang na traffic light...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    rollyms,
    Yes, you can freewheel it a bit since the a/t pump and cooler are running. Just make sure you are fully stopped when it comes time to shift to 'D'.

jonski, number001,
    Just put it in 'N' when at a full stop so that the engine and tranny will be unloaded. Wearing out the tranny? Maybe that's the same guy that said fiddling with the thermostat on the a/c will wear it out. Well it can, but not within at least 5 years and not if you follow maintenance procedures at proper intervals. Our 1981 Benz has never given us problems regarding shifter or tranny wear. Yes, we put it in 'N' when stopped for extended periods (e.g. at a traffic light). The engine has so much torque, I get tired trying to hold it down with the brakes.

Shifting to 'N' and engaging the parking brake also puts your vehicle in a dead man's setting. Meaning, should anything happen to the driver while stopped (lose consciousness, get crashed into, etc.), the vehicle will not 'run away' as it could if the vehicle was in gear.

Shifting to 'P' is a bit of an overkill already. And I know of one who accidentally went to 'R' when it was time to move forward. Konti na lang, aksidente na. And some people have a bad habit of using 'P' as their parking brake. This is also a nice way of ruining a perfect transmission. The parking brake should always be enaged before shifting into 'P'. Never leave the vehicle resting on its transmission. Baka hindi niyo na ma-shift out of 'P' afterwards.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    Yon kaya pala nung minsang nagpark ako sa incline nag "P" ako bago handbrake. Pag alis ako "TOG" yung tumunog pag lipat ko kambyo. Sabi ko anu yun? heheh yun pala napuwersa yung tranny ko.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Logically, you should be able to shift to N during a red light without damaging the transmission.

And OTEP is right, shifting to P in traffic can create confusion. There are already a lot of cases when people shift from P to R instead of D and met accidents. So shift to P only when you park the car.

As for M/T, will shifting to neutral and go freewheeling wear the transmission also?

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    is it even possible to shift to N while moving? I can't do this with the f150...
    edit: okay read the whole thread.. possible pala sa iba.

I used to just step on the brakes in traffic until nakabangga ako ng Pajero...luckily tumama sa spare tire nya sa likod. Ngayon I shift it to N na lang.

As for M/T, will shifting to neutral and go freewheeling wear the transmission also?
    Now this, i do a lot.
    Last edited by ts1n1ta; September 3rd, 2006 at 03:04 AM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I've been doing "N" for 4 years and just realized it's no good recently...

because it was a bad habbit, I still sometimes do it, unconsciously... though Didn't hurt any vehicles yet... fortunately...

- never shift to P when vehicle is moving. shifting to P, well it's self explanatory. throwing a monkey wrench inside has the same results.
    tried that accidentaly... on 5Km/h. the engine turned off by itself...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by slicker_boi View Post
    Freewheeling will not wear the transmission since it is not engaged. However, this practice is illegal in some areas (e.g. Subic and most of the U.S.). This is due to safety reasons. I know enforcement is next to impossible but abiding by it is not that difficult and makes for a safer journey.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    In my experience, previous Honda models with automatic trans. such as '94-'97 Accord or EG Civic, allows for shifting to N while the vehicle is moving.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
pag-neutral ng 'matic?