New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    It’s hard to understand how motoring journalists can give an accurate and unbiased account of their car reviews when their own judgments are already suspect as what was mentioned in this article.

And naturally, they would get back at GM for this thing.

Simpleng bagay lang di “mareview” ng mabuti. For some of these motoring journalist, they seem to get out of bounds of their profession. They take things personally.

I don't think Optimus Prime would be furious about this one. If he does, he would be on the wrong end of what he is fighting for. Just my 2c!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    What Ron did was pretty stupid, yes... but it's a grave lapse on GM's part (as torque2006 has mentioned, he should know... line niya yun!) not to provide a press kit or any assistance to Ron delos Reyes beyond the cinema manager's office.

When you host an event like this, you are exactly that. A host. And these people, whether they be saints or complete asses, are your guests. You make sure they all know the house rules, that they're all up to speed, and if there's any problems, you assist them to the best of your abilities.

If you host a test-drive event and one of your guests accidentally hits a motorcyclist who's wandered into the test area, you see the thing through all the way to the hospital and police station, whoever's at fault. If there's a snatching at your event, or a fist-fight ( ), you try to sort it out and you call the cops. If somebody walks right off the edge of a twenty-foot drop because you forgot to place barrier lines there, you're culpable... if you put barriers there and they still did, well, at least you did something.

From what I've seen, those who really spend time on these details are Ford/Mazda and Toyota. Those who don't are makers like Mitsubishi, Honda (how many crashes already... and, seemingly, GMPh?)

Selina was right to chastise the GMPh personnel for not ensuring that it was entirely clear to the journalists that no picture-taking or video-taking was to take place inside the theater. It's their duty and responsibility as hosts to the group to ensure that.

What? Common sense lang yun? Yes and no.

When you're a journalist and you attend a press event, you often come loaded to the gills with DSLRs, tape recorders, video cameras, notebooks, etcetera. It's a given that you will bring some form of recording device... otherwise you're just a mooch, there for the free drinks, food and, in this case, film. It's S.O.P. In fact, when we go out to test drive, pakapalan nalang ng mukha yung pag-photo-op nu'un... wherever, whatever... "sandali lang, Manong Guard... I know it's illegal to shoot here... just let me get one more photo... wait... put the shotgun away! We're leaving!"

That's the job. That's the background this guy is coming from.

So... Ron's utter f***-up, in this case, is the failure to drop his role as a journalist, in this case, a TV journalist (which is why he has a videocam with him) and put himself in the shoes of a civilian and sit back and enjoy the movie.

If Ron was a movie critic or lifestyle writer, he would automatically know this. But he's an auto-hack. Which is why he did this. Many automakers will lay out strict guidelines before the event of what participants can do, can't do, and when they can do it. I rightly don't know if GMPh gave these instructions, but it was obvious during the cocktails before the movie, that many members of the group had cameras. Both GMPh and UIC should have reminded them not to bring them in, or should have made them check the cameras at the door. Di ba S.O.P. yun sa exclusive screening?

But if they did warn them before letting them in, and did take secure the cameras of the other people there... then Ron's probably just dense. But at least, now you know why he's dense.

As for Selina? Congratulations... you just sent some poor dolt to jail and the hospital and I can still get a DVD copy of Transformers at Divisoria. Good job! She should have remained calm and demanded to review the tape before calling the police... sometimes, the job calls for a little more tact and common sense than being utterly by the book. :hysterical:

------

BTW... yes, it probably has nothing to do with GM losing it's number one ranking... but to note... when a car maker is in trouble, sometimes flaws in its marketing and public relations departments reflect the cost-cutting and loss of manpower... which is sad, because, even when the chips are down, you really have to put your best foot forward.
    Last edited by niky; July 11th, 2007 at 11:05 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    eto trip lang. someone should invite or maybe dare Selina to repeat her tirades in front of our "dibidi" friends in quiapo. invite the press to record it and then send it to united international pictures top execs so they can send her medal of valor. it'll also be good material during her eulogy. here lies selina, anti-piracy crusader and friend of the autobots.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Press kits notwithstanding, its too much to assume that GM Phils. would go out of their way to assist Mr. Peabrain out of a jam he himself created through his sheer and utter stupidity. Although admittedly, that may score brownie points with the local automotive press crowd.

Now, if he decides to get back by writing unfavorable reviews about GM, then that shows what kind of (low-life) character he is. As one poster said, he should have just called his lawyer, and don't get the 3rd party (GM) involved out of courtesy.

And I doubt if Sarne's version happened the way he wrote it, aka gospel-truth. It's hard to imagine a seasoned pseudo-journalist like Mr. Peabrain would just stand meekly and listen while Selina the Grouch chastised him. It's either that or he was too dumb to offer a viable explanation. I'm inclined to prefer the latter.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    It should be noted that this was a premiere, so nangyari ito before regular showing so I understand bakit vigilant sila sa mga threats of illegal recordings. Besides, ilagay nyo sarili nyo sa pwesto ng kabila. Here's a guy caught filming a movie that is not yet released on regular run, even in the United States. His reasons are:

- eh, hindi ko alam ano ang Transformers eh
    - eh, 10 minutes na lang ang laman ng camcorder ko
    - eh, may edad na ako
    - and worse, eh journalist ako!

Jeebus! Untouchable ka ba if your job is to write brownnoseing articles about cars?!!! I am in the wrong job here!

And this article writer says this:

If I were in their shoes, this is exactly what I would have told this certain Selina: “Listen, ma’am, I understand your dedication to the antipiracy measures of your American company. But we’re General Motors and we own the vehicles that you see in the movie you so passionately protect. No GM vehicles, no Transformers. Let’s see Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg come up with a blockbuster movie with a SsangYong Rodius Bumblebee. Ron is our guest and we vouch for his integrity. You are not touching him and you are certainly not bringing him anywhere. Do that and we will have the Decepticons descend upon this place.”
    Wow. Ang yabang yabang ng mga ito. Ang mali ay mali. One should face the consequences of his stupidity. I hate the double standard these people with their "old boys club" mentality and all that crap. The guy did something wrong, even illegal, and he was humiliated and they're blaming the people who organized the event for not standing up to them? Who the F are you?!!! Look at it this way: nakanood kayo ng premiere na libre, kasama pa anak nyo, sa isang palabas na hinihintay ng napakaraming tao. You had a privilege. But this untouchable ingrate spewed out a camcorder which is NOT ALLOWED, and now dapat siyang kaawaan?

And another thing, I can bet my left ball that this article is chock full of exaggerations. They're local motor journalists after all! I sure hope GM and UIP air their side of the story.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    mali pa rin ang ginawa niya at kahit guest siya ng GM or mismong Gm rep siya kailangan maging equal sa lahat kahit ng movie goer lang siya

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Just to give a different point of view.

Selina may have been overly zealous in protecting the cinema. A little known fact is that if a someone is caught taping inside a cinema, the cinema can also be penalized. Penalties can be monetary, closure for 1 to 3 months or the theater may not be given films.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    LET me tell you a story as sad as Jazz’s demise in the hands of Megatron.
    What kind of opening line is this?? Optimus Prime would have been furious!

Ron - some sort of stupid to forget about that basic rule; though who hasn't beaten a red light in here? the penalty should be appropriate for somebody stupid and not for a genuine movie pirate.

Selina - you sure she's GM of UIP? she's acting like GM of Seiko films kasi. probably frustrated to miss half of the film

GMPh - what kind of hosts are these? even at a house party, you invite both your good and stupid friends, and be responsible for them or at least be there for them to make sure somebody's around to take them to the hospital

Vernon - here you go again, am still not buying Top Gear...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Childish headline hehehe

10. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Either mahina kapit na journalist si Ron or...

Type nya si Selina at di nya ginamit influence nya sa police to shut her up...

Selina: *#$%&$#*!

Ron: Oh yeah, hit me baybeh!

Or then again, kung friend nya si Sarne... magkapareho nga IQ nila... mwehehehe

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Optimus Prime would have been furious (by V. Sarne)