New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    im a noobie here sa forums so hi na rin to all hehe :P

ok, i just got a 2nd hand silver 2001 nissan exalta sta with 48k mileage from my tita, its been with me for almost a month now. though at first changing anything never crossed my mind, now however, im beginning to lean into adding some simple mods to get it out of the executive look into a more "simpleng-gwapo" look haha but dont get me wrong, im not gona race, papalitan ko lang ung mga kita lolz so... got some questions to ask...

1) shoes/rims = ang daming clash e
    dilemma: quite pricey but veeery nice over ok lang na affordable? (concept one over rota? or vice versa?) kc to get 17" conceptones would amount to a sleek 18" rotas (kung meron man 18s na rotas, correct me if im wrong, again im a noobie hehe)
    to get 17" rotas would give me excess money to spend more on other mods
    but then again, d biro ang rims kc investment din so why not go for c1's?
    i've asked most of my friends and 50/50 for each side ang answers nila
    haaay, naguguluhan ako

2) muffler = how much?
    what are good brands? tanabe,injen?the like? and where pwede makakuha ng best deals
    or should i just go for the cover bolt ons?

3) filter (d nman kta to but id just like to change 1 part of the engine hehe) = how much?
    same as muffler questions.. k&n? or just drop in filts?

so there, thats all for now.. i still have a lot of q's but il limit it to these for the moment, thanks a bunch! feel free to suggest, treat it as your exalta how would you go about step by step modifying it? which goes first then what next? how to be practical yet maporma? the works.. auto Gods, i appreciate your help :D

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Ingat na lang sa lubak pag nag 17 or 18.

17 ka na lang masi manipis na masyado yung profile ng 18 if you keep the overall diameter close to stock.

If you're changing mufflers and filters better go for the entire IHE treatment. Kaso sayang. The 17s will probably negate your gains.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    ah ok, IHE? sorry i dont know much about terms (embarrassed) kc its my first car hehe
    i also heard from friends na okay na gumamit ng scub kesa spending too much on branded muffs, any view points?
    i don't mind performance wise, i go looks over speed haha (ang corny i know) :D

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Bro,

For the rims, its just a question of performance over comfort. Bigger rims mean better handling, smaller ones less 'tagtag' hence more comfort. Choose one 1st then settle for the aesthetic considerations as to what type you like (ie wide lips, chrome, gun metals, 5 spoke 6 spoke etc and those sort of stuff)

As for mufflers, there are several shops that can actually do acceptable mods like mufflerland. I had mine done sa mga kanto kanto lang along Kamuning. The cost is cheaper but the quality (and I just started to learn from it) is quite dubious. Jasma muffs are good according to feedback. Pretty pricey though.

For IHE mods, there are a lot of inputs from enthusiasts from the club I'm a member in (Nissanbayan) Since you own a nissan (I own one too :-) I suggest you join the club. A lot of really really nice inputs there from fellow Nissan owners.

Hope these help.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Don't waste your money on a new exhaust. They usually end up sounding terrible, and just making your ride in general uncomfortable.

I would get a K&N drop in filter. It's a good addition both performance wise (this is marginal, however) and maintenence-wise. You should be able to get one that will simply replace your old filter (i.e. no engine mods), and the good news is that you will probably not have to replace it ever. If you do, then that will be quite some time off.

Also, if you're new to DIY maintenance, it's a real good start to learning your way around the engine bay.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by druid View Post
    Bro,

For the rims, its just a question of performance over comfort. Bigger rims mean better handling, smaller ones less 'tagtag' hence more comfort.
    - thanks bro :P since its my first "my own" car, can't help it if i throw comfort out the window and stick to performance and porma haha im leaning towards bigger rims.. you know how its like, if not all, most of us felt this way the first time around hehe btw, thanks also for the invite, are there any requirements for the club?

7. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ///MPower View Post
    Don't waste your money on a new exhaust. They usually end up sounding terrible, and just making your ride in general uncomfortable.

I would get a K&N drop in filter. It's a good addition both performance wise (this is marginal, however) and maintenence-wise. You should be able to get one that will simply replace your old filter (i.e. no engine mods), and the good news is that you will probably not have to replace it ever. If you do, then that will be quite some time off.

Also, if you're new to DIY maintenance, it's a real good start to learning your way around the engine bay.
    what would be a good alternative for exhaust? although i don't know much, some peeps told me that a cheaper option would be scubs, would that be the better choice?

about the filter po, is it better if replacement filter or conical-shape?

8. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    ideas and suggestions are welcome in here treat it as your own exalta, how would you go about step by step modifying it?

9. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    You'll want a replacement filter, unless you're interested in doing work on the intake itself. I don't know about the Exalta, but at least on my car that was a decent sized job to get a CAI on the engine.

I'm not sure what you mean by scubs? I would stay away from modding the engine or exhaust. It's a waste of money, since the Exalta is a boat, and you're unlikely to notice any performance gains.

If I were you, I'd maybe get a nice set of wheels, and put the rest of the money towards keeping it well maintained (buy yourself some tools) and toward keeping the paint in pristine condition. If it's not in good condition, then why not get a detail? You can gain experience in regular maintenance, like changing oil, brakes, spark plugs, etc.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    17s, H&R springs, then intake nalang.

need help from experts :)