New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Hi folks! Need advise on which car to sell. I currently have a 2002 Opel Astra sedan (bought Nov 2002) and a 2003 Ford Escape (bought Dec 2003) 4x2 A/T. They have odo readings of 31Tkm and 39Tkm respectively. Mas gamit ang Escape dahil sa out of town trips.

Fuel consumption is 10-12 km/l for the Opel and 6-7 km/l for the Escape. PMS for Opel is every 10Tkm and for Escape, it is 5Tkm.

Now here's my dilemma...

From the time I bought the vehicles, I have spent much more in maintaining/repairing the Escape vs the Opel. However, since Opel is no longer sold here, I am afraid that when the time comes, I may not be able to find replacement parts. Also, at this point, the resale value of the Escape is higher than that of the Opel as compared to their purchase prices. (Actually, both have low resale values )

All suggestions are welcome!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    imho. i would keep the escape and sell the optra. its not on the maintenance issue nor the fuel consumption issue, but you can use the escape longer because it is more flexible (pwedeng people carrier, pwedeng magharabas, etc.).

and besides, i like the look of the escape more.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    HG, Astra ata hindi optra

escape din ako, much more useful although mas gas guzzler pero iba pa rin cuv kesa sedan.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post
    HG, Astra ata hindi optra

escape din ako, much more useful although mas gas guzzler pero iba pa rin cuv kesa sedan.
    sorry astra pala.
    anyway, my opinion is still the same.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    How about selling both cars and getting a brand new one. selling both cars might fetch you around 800K give or take. just get a new civic or Toyota vios. Hassle free ka pa with warranty for the cars.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ale828 View Post
    How about selling both cars and getting a brand new one. selling both cars might fetch you around 800K give or take. just get a new civic or Toyota vios. Hassle free ka pa with warranty for the cars.
    +1

7. Join Date
    Aug 2007

I concur with this suggestion. Get a more reliable, hassle-free car with more fuel economy.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My sentiments exactly... selling both would conservatively net you around P700K-750K... add a little and get a nice brand new vehicle like a Civic, Vios, entry level Altis/Innova. Or upgrade to a newer 2nd hand car (a 2nd hand Escape 2.3 w/c has more power and better fuel economy then the 2.0 will go for 600K+).

But if you were to sell one and keep one, i would keep the Escape. We also used a 2.0 4x2 a/t and i loved driving it (if you can stomach the fuel consumption). We'd get around 6km/L+ in the city and anywhere between 8++ to 10km/L on the highway, depending on how we drove and where we went.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Appreciate all your replies! Keep 'em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by happy_gilmore View Post
    imho. i would keep the escape and sell the optra. its not on the maintenance issue nor the fuel consumption issue, but you can use the escape longer because it is more flexible (pwedeng people carrier, pwedeng magharabas, etc.).

and besides, i like the look of the escape more.
    Hi Happy_Gilmore/BlueBimmer, I wanted to dispose one of the cars kasi I got another CUV na. Originally, I wanted to keep the Astra and sell the Escape, para we can still have one car and one CUV pero after reading a lot of different posts on the web na medyo on the negative side, it felt like I was setting myself up for a lot of future headaches with the Astra.

Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    My sentiments exactly... selling both would conservatively net you around P700K-750K... add a little and get a nice brand new vehicle like a Civic, Vios, entry level Altis/Innova. Or upgrade to a newer 2nd hand car (a 2nd hand Escape 2.3 w/c has more power and better fuel economy then the 2.0 will go for 600K+).

But if you were to sell one and keep one, i would keep the Escape. We also used a 2.0 4x2 a/t and i loved driving it (if you can stomach the fuel consumption). We'd get around 6km/L+ in the city and anywhere between 8++ to 10km/L on the highway, depending on how we drove and where we went.
    Hi ale828/Syuryuken/TheShrike/vinj, that's a good suggestion, ang dami ding mga sedans na magaganda ngayon. Pero sayang din ang cash... puwede rin sana pang invest or pang renovate ng bahay. Will keep this suggestion in my list though at baka mag-bago din ang isip namin later.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    javoy, take into consideration kung ilan kayo sa family at kung bahain ang daan mo pag pasok sa office. kung ako, i'll keep the escape dahil bahain dito sa amin. hth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Need help to decide...