New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Hello Everyone!

Since I dont know too many people in Manila, thought I'd ask you fellow tsikot members. I plan on visiting Manila 6-8 months from today. I would like to know a decent place to get a rent a car? Metro Manila area, Any hook ups? Also, is it adviceable for me to drive within Manila city limits and outer regions such as LA Union or Pangasinan region? Im not planning on staying long.

I remembered the last time I visited Cebu early 90's, there I witness a 2 lane road becomes 5 lanes hehe... Has this changed since then (Cebu/Manila)or same? I come to think of it, since I commute to the office each day 85Miles (one way) in heavy stop and go traffic and most times where the freeways are wide open speeds up to 85+MPH. Im sure I can handle driving around Manila and other places only if my California license is permitted. If not permitted, I was considering hiring a private driver?

Please advice, any info would is greatly be appriciated. Maraming Salamat!

2. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    hi bhane,

I can see no problem with you driving around Manila and even the nearby provinces. It's not a problem be it in a tight traffic or along the expressways here, the important thing is safety and being careful and alert all the time. There are a lot of reputable rental business here in case you will need one.

Well, as per your inquiry regarding your license. You have two options under the Philippines law and regulation on driving a moving vehicle.

1) a foreign national driver must possess and carry a valid International driver license, passport copy with Immigration stamp showing the validity of stay and valid hometown driver license before driving to any Philippines Road.

2)Use you own driving license, this link could help you:

http://usembassy.state.gov/posts/rp1/wwwha018.html

Should you have any other inquiry, feel free to post it here....
    Tsikot site is a big help I tell you......

And oh, btw, just sent you a pm, if you don't mind.....

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    First and foremost, Driving in Manila is an adventure. You WILL be cut-off, you WILL be honked at if you show any hesitation, and for me, it's survival when you're driving in manila. BUSES cutt you off here! Taxis and Buses for me are my enemies when driving in Manila.

If the MMDA see you hesitate, they may flag you down, and say you were swerving, or some odd vioation. Just be ready to pay them off. For me, it's good to know where you're going so that you can get into the right lane instead of trying to switch from the far left lane to the far right lane with a heavy 4 lane traffic.

Driving outside Manila..such as Cavite is a lot more nicer than driving in Manila, you get traffic, but not as much. People and their driving habits aren't as agressive as well. And you can pretty much get away with anything, along the Aguinaldo Highway, if there's traffic, expect the 2 lanes to switch to 3 lanes n the oncoming lanes switch from 2 to 1. Also, in Cavite n other areas around Manila, here's a list of who shares the road with you: other cars, Jeepneys, buses, tricycles, pedicabs, ppl pushing junk in their side cars, caribous (sp?) tugging along a mountain of crafts which are for sale, vendors, bicycles, people crossing the highways, people walking, trucks, motorcycles, scooters... n there's probably more! Just watch out for Jeepney's..Buses and Owner Type Stainless Steel Jeeps...sometimes they don't have working brake lights, so don't follow so close.

Have fun, it's an experience, if you can drive here, you can drive anywhere.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vhenok
    hi bhane,

I can see no problem with you driving around Manila and even the nearby provinces. It's not a problem be it in a tight traffic or along the expressways here, the important thing is safety and being careful and alert all the time. There are a lot of reputable rental business here in case you will need one.

Well, as per your inquiry regarding your license. You have two options under the Philippines law and regulation on driving a moving vehicle.

1) a foreign national driver must possess and carry a valid International driver license, passport copy with Immigration stamp showing the validity of stay and valid hometown driver license before driving to any Philippines Road.

2)Use you own driving license, this link could help you:

http://usembassy.state.gov/posts/rp1/wwwha018.html

Should you have any other inquiry, feel free to post it here....
    Tsikot site is a big help I tell you......

And oh, btw, just sent you a pm, if you don't mind.....
    Thank you for the info, I will try that link. Any idea on Car rental Rates? Also, I've searched around for Hotels. One site gave me an overview map of Makati. Its shows there are nearby shopping plazas and other cool things see. I plan on checking out social nightclubs and bars nearby... Which hotels do you recommend with decent rates and service?

Quote Originally Posted by KrisKros
    First and foremost, Driving in Manila is an adventure. You WILL be cut-off, you WILL be honked at if you show any hesitation, and for me, it's survival when you're driving in manila. BUSES cutt you off here! Taxis and Buses for me are my enemies when driving in Manila.

If the MMDA see you hesitate, they may flag you down, and say you were swerving, or some odd vioation. Just be ready to pay them off. For me, it's good to know where you're going so that you can get into the right lane instead of trying to switch from the far left lane to the far right lane with a heavy 4 lane traffic.

Driving outside Manila..such as Cavite is a lot more nicer than driving in Manila, you get traffic, but not as much. People and their driving habits aren't as agressive as well. And you can pretty much get away with anything, along the Aguinaldo Highway, if there's traffic, expect the 2 lanes to switch to 3 lanes n the oncoming lanes switch from 2 to 1. Also, in Cavite n other areas around Manila, here's a list of who shares the road with you: other cars, Jeepneys, buses, tricycles, pedicabs, ppl pushing junk in their side cars, caribous (sp?) tugging along a mountain of crafts which are for sale, vendors, bicycles, people crossing the highways, people walking, trucks, motorcycles, scooters... n there's probably more! Just watch out for Jeepney's..Buses and Owner Type Stainless Steel Jeeps...sometimes they don't have working brake lights, so don't follow so close.

Have fun, it's an experience, if you can drive here, you can drive anywhere.
    Wow thanks for the tip! Now that you mentioned other road factors such as the caribous, scooters, mountains of crafts, Yes it will be quite an experience! I can only imagine, im sure I can manage. You also mentioned "Just be ready to pay them off."? LOL! Are you serious? Are these parking or traffic cops we talking? If not, then disreguard this hehe...

Again, thank you both for the info.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    I suggest that you get a driver on your first day and observe the traffic. Our American officers are all afraid to drive here even after staying here for a few months. You pay off the traffic cops when you get caught, don't even try to reason with these guys, just say pasensya na and ito pang merienda, then give him P200 and you'll be on your way.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Makati is a good idea to stay since you can have access to practically all the amenities and whatever your necessities. There's a number of five-star hotel around the city like Shangri-La, Dusit, Intercon, Oakwood, Renaissance and Mandarin. But there's a lot of alternatives like a 3-star ones....

this link might help:

http://www.dotpcvc.gov.ph/PCVC-members/htl_res.html

You might want to have a driver on your first day as seona is suggesting, that is to make yourself feel Manila roads & traffics, also that's a good idea if you are to look for the place you will be staying and also you still wanna process your papers as what my earlier posts suggest, if you want to drive around. Or perhaps, I can help just post or pm me whenever you have the exact dates so I can arrange my skeds too. What are fellow tsikoteers for?

For nightlife, there are plenty to choose from. Makati has a great nightlife, other places worth visiting are Baywalk area, Malate, Libis, Metrowalk to name few. Am pretty sure our fellow tsikoteers will be responding to add on this idea....

Just do check this site more often....
    Last edited by vhenok; April 3rd, 2006 at 06:41 AM.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Yeah, Hiring a driver would be suitable, someone thats familiar with the surroundings will get me from point A to B without delays. Vhenok, do you work for a car rental/tourism firm? You seem to be very well informed, Maraming Salamat Po! PM me your info, talk to you soon.
    God Bless!

8. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by BHANE
    Yeah, Hiring a driver would be suitable, someone thats familiar with the surroundings will get me from point A to B without delays. Vhenok, do you work for a car rental/tourism firm? You seem to be very well informed
    nope...if u wanna put it that way then am proud of it...nahh, just happened na meron rentals yung relative ko eh....

got familiarized with different places when i worked in a media research firm before where it requires me to travel all over the country, and mostly land trip kaya eto madalas mapagkamalan, hehe!....

and oohhh...have just pm you!

Manila: Rent-A-Car and Driving Conditions?