New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvDetailing
    Now why aren't there hybrid cars here?
    matter of marketing.

main problem is the public's notion of hybrids being vulnerable to floods and hard/expensive to maintain because of the two propulsion systems onboard.

IMHO, in metro-manila's stop & go traffic alone, hybrid cars can greatly reduce the pollution problem and gasoline/diesel consumption of the average motorist in one move.

Hybrid cars aren't limited to dinky little subcompacts. There are other types which includes the Honda CRV hybrid (gasoline-electric).

2. Join Date
    May 2004
    hybrid cars are very expensive as of now(baka wala bumili dito). a hybrid car cost around US$30,000.00+(est) sa US while the crv cost US$20,000.00+. so imagine how will it cost here. mas mahal pa yata sya sa mits evo. so ang iisipin talaga ng phil. market paano ka nakatipid. i think secondary lang ang sa mga filipinos ang environment concern. but i heard the DTI is studying to lower the taxes on hybrid cars.
    Last edited by niwde11; March 2nd, 2005 at 02:28 PM.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    There's this one comment from a certain car magazine on the Insight saying that you might even spend less on a Civic within 5 years. The extra premium for the hybrid car is more expensive than topping up the Civic with fuel given that span of time.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niwde11
    hybrid cars are very expensive as of now(baka wala bumili dito). a hybrid car cost around US$30,000.00+(est) sa US
    The Toyota Prius, which is being sold here in Japan for a little over JPY2m, is worth the money I reckon. As an incentive for hybrid car buyers, the government gives a much lower sales tax on hybrid cars compared to the standard automobile. Factor in the fuel consumption of about 30 kms/liter and being a low maintenance car, you could probably end up saving in the long run. And you are also helping clean the air.

5. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin
    The Toyota Prius, which is being sold here in Japan for a little over JPY2m, is worth the money I reckon. As an incentive for hybrid car buyers, the government gives a much lower sales tax on hybrid cars compared to the standard automobile. Factor in the fuel consumption of about 30 kms/liter and being a low maintenance car, you could probably end up saving in the long run. And you are also helping clean the air.
    i am for a hybrid car. in your place, it is offered on lowered taxes. hangat di binibigyan ng tax incentive dito yan sa pinas(just like the discontinued 10 seater rule here), i dont think magiging marketable sya. kailangan lang completitive price nya. btw, i like the hybrid civic(available na ba?) teka, OT na yata tayo.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    peoples car will never sell here. Whatever happened to toyota echos (the european car in 2000 ata), nissan veritas. I doubt if the honda jazz will make profit here. Pati kia prides and daihatsu vans di ganon kataas ang sales.

Well you know the answer pinoy kayabangan

7. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    I dont think gas consumption is the problem here in the US.....those cars consume less gas than the average american SUV.....

in addition...SUV is a different class from compact cars......that means a typical US auto buyer wont buy an SUV if he's into compact cars and vice versa.....unlike the philippines, they have different lifestyle and reasons why they buy their automobile....majority of american buyers buy their automobile based on the kind of job they do....

if they have to drive in the freeway for 20-30 miles a day to go to work, they would buy a reliable, gas-friendly car.....if they have kids, they would buy a van, a family mid-size sedan, etc....if you are in your teens or early 20's, single, typically, he/she would buy a small coupe or a compact sedan.....if you are into construction, engineering, etc, you would like to buy an SUV or truck.....

and if you're making good....most likely, you would buy german......

hybrid is new and not yet a proven technology (durability wise).......some benefits of owning a hybrid is:
    1. $2000 tax deductible (claimed at year end)
    2. use of High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane
    3. cleaner air
    4. less gas consumption

but hybrid's are, again, a different class from sports compact market.....i mean..who's gonna put free-flow exhaust, turbocharger, chip, and other mods in a hybrid?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by squala
    There's this one comment from a certain car magazine on the Insight saying that you might even spend less on a Civic within 5 years. The extra premium for the hybrid car is more expensive than topping up the Civic with fuel given that span of time.
    yup... it'll take you around 8-10 years to break-even with the TCO of using a standard civic. by then you would have replaced your Civic with a new one.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by airshaq20
    Most of these aren't selling as good - Is the sports compact going extinct?
    It is because the Japs are currently crazy over superminis...

10. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    The Daihatsu Copen came out early last year. It has a 660cc engine with a lot of grunt that's really ideal for a single guy/girl driving in the city. The retractable roof gives it a distinct 'cool' look.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Jap sports (and sporty) cars going extinct......