New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    guys, how will u know if the odometer (mechanical) isnt tampered?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Visual checking on steering wheel and shift knob could give you an idea how long the vehicle have been abused. Doors could also give clues if they are misaligned, same goes for the hood.

Vehicle window shopping could give you an idea how to differ the aging of vehicles.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    as what bos ungas said. pwede mong irelate yung condition ng vehicle sa odo reading. you can also do visuals halimbawa sa condition ng driver's seat, sa conditions ng underside ng vehicle, tire conditions, etc.

halimbawa: medyo lubog na steering wheel, may mga misalignment sa doors, tapos ang odo reading is only 30th kms?

kung sa actual odo condition, mukhang mahirap lalo na kung maganda pagkakagawa.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Aside from what the other mentioned,

Check:
    - if the records are missing...
    - brake rotor wear (if the car has a relatively low mileage)
    - calculate the average yearly useage
    - spare tire condition and its the same as the stock tires (if the car has low mileage)
    - speedometer seems to be running faster/not calibrated well
    - badly misalaligned mileage counter numbers (this is not always a sure teller though)

COMPARe with other cars, just dont look at one or a few.

When a car has a really low mileage and its just being sold at a good price by a "buy and sell", medyo mag-iisiip na ako actually. All the buy and sell guys i've checked out seems to have rolled back the mileage (no-offense, this is an observation of mine). I once looked at a '99 model sedan with 23K on the odo... it looked very fresh inside out (no wear whatsoever). We almost bought it, but when we looked up the original owner and we found out it had already ran 56K when she sold it.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    look at the instrument cluster screws. if they show signs of disassemly, then it is suspect.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I own a low mileage car, 7 years old but with
    40K odo reading. May be suspected of having
    a tampered odo when I sell it? That's why I make
    it a point to file all service records in a folder. Sa
    Casa ko lang naman pinapasok yan and records
    would show the progression of the odo reading.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    paano kung dalawa ang odometer? Isang spare, gagamitin sa long drive, or gamitin masyado at mag accumulate ang mileage. then yung original, paminsan minsan ilalagay para mababa pa din ang mileage...

yung sa screws naman, I/they can always be careful when taking the odometer out. And they can always buy a brand new set of screws di ba? Or...Baka sabihin lang sayo, "nilagyan ko lang ng indiglo gauge" or "nilinis ko lang yung loob kse may nakapasok na dumi"

A friend of mine has a 1990 Toyota Tercel, 1999 na major no dents nor scratches. Then ang mileage lang was 40K miles. (average mileage ng car sa US 15K/year). Kahina-hinala ba?!

bottom line, trust the seller. Pwede din namang mataas ang mileage pero kung alaga ang car, hindi evident ang age nya di ba?

FYI, pati digital pwede na ding tamper by using a spare gauge cluster.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by TJMaxx
    That's the same thing we do with our rides... each has a folder where we put all related documents and receipts together (repairs, accessories, etc). It really helps in getting a better price when you sell the car.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Originally posted by Ungas
    Visual checking on steering wheel and shift knob could give you an idea how long the vehicle have been abused. Doors could also give clues if they are misaligned, same goes for the hood.

Vehicle window shopping could give you an idea how to differ the aging of vehicles.

one sure thing to check of the cars usage would be to check the steering wheel and shift knob. if those two are shiny and smooth, wala na ding mga grooves(?! ) mahaba na ang natakbo nun. pwede dba? :nerd:

10. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Originally posted by TJMaxx
    gud idea will apply that to our cars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
how to know if the odometer isnt tampered?