New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    I am getting a Fort which is arriving early next month. I have been driving an MT for the past 8 years and I have never driven an AT. Please help in giving me step-by step instructions on how to drive an AT and do include tips. Thank you and looking forward to your responses.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmmmmm. halos pareho lang din naman sa driving style. para ka lang naglalaro but the thing is yung sa brake. be sure na right foot pa rin gagamitin kasi una kong gamit left ginamt ko at ang lakas ng pagkakaapak ko. hahaha

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Basic tips.

1. Always step on the brake when shifting from P to any other gear. Some cars wont even allow you to shift without steping on the brake pedal.
    2. Normal driving, just shift to D and you are set.
    3. P = park. Always set to P when you park the car. Dont use this gear when stuck in traffic. Better to put in N or neutral and set hand brake. BTW, most modern AT wont start if you are not in P or N.
    4. R = reverse.
    5. N = neutral
    6. D is drive. AT will shift between 1st to 3rd or 4th gear as needed.
    7. 3 means your AT will shift from 1st to 3rd gear only.
    8. 2 means your AT will only shift between 1st and 2nd gear. Useful when climbing hills and engine braking while going down hill.
    9. L or 1 = 1st gear only.
    10. OD or overdrive. on cars equipped with OD, keep it on while driving. It will give you better FC. When you need more power, like overtaking or going uphill, turn it off and you will get more power. Its kinda like a final gear on ATs.
    11. You can make an AT shift by using the gas pedal. Flooring it will make you downshift. A quick step and release will make you upshift.
    12. When coasting, keep the car in D and just keep your foot off the gas pedal. Dont ever shift to N while car is moving. I'm not 100% sure but I read before that it cuts off supply of ATF and can cause damage to your tranny. So better safe than sorry.

Do a search, there are a lot of topics on AT. I also suggest you read the stick on automatic transmissions. Its very informative. I also posted the proper way to check your ATF, just search for it.

The best way to take care of your AT is by using the correct ATF. Keep it at the right level and change when needed. ATF change intervals should be in the manual.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    just put it in D and off you go...

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    Dont ever shift to N while car is moving. I'm not 100% sure but I read before that it cuts off supply of ATF and can cause damage to your tranny. So better safe than sorry.
    That may be true for older A/T vehicles...

In today's A/T vehicles: they would have made measures to prevent shifting from D to N, like requiring the driver to press the LOCK RELEASE BUTTON if it will damage the tranny. Read on...

Ulitin ko lang ang aking pagninilay tungkol sa Avanza A/T:

Question: If your shifter is on the D position and the vehicle is moving, can you shift the Selector Lever to the R position?
    Answer: Yes, but [SIZE=4]DON'T! [/SIZE]But anyway,[SIZE=4] you need to press the Lock Release Button[/SIZE] in order to go past N towards R.

Question: But why do I have to press the button?
    Answer: Because [SIZE=4]it's not safe, and the transmission will get damaged[/SIZE] if you shift to R from D while the vehicle is moving forward! The button is part of the shift lock system to minimize the possibility of incorrect operation.
    (Oh, so that's why there was a long beep when I accidentally shifted to R from D... good thing I didn't release the button...)

Question: Why am I [SIZE=4]not required to press the Lock Release Button before shifting from D to N[/SIZE], then?
    Answer: Because it's safe for the transmission, it will not get damaged.

Question: I see the diagram in the manual... Oh, so it's also safe to shift from L to 2 to D (as indicated there) while the vehicle is moving (that's how some of my friends drive)?
    Answer: Yup.

Question: Why am I required to press the Lock Release Button when shifting from D to 2 or L?
    Answer: Because engine braking will occur, and this is not normally done in regular usage.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    simply put the car into D and off you go
    always the right foot for either gas or brake
    in some case there are a/t na semi manual like mazda 3 dont be tempt to use that if you dont know how the transmission works becaused if you still havent reach the correct speed and used the semi manual ang lakas sa gas nyan

How to Drive an Automatic