New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2005
    I had a chance to ride this brand new toyota sienna last month and i really liked the ride, the power, the legroom, heck, everything. and when I asked about the price, its not more expensive than the price of a previa here. Now, Im thinking of importing one for my own use.

Does anyone here have any experience with importing cars? what is the procedure and approximately how much taxes, shipping charges do I have to shell out?

Thanks for your advise.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    my friend imported 6 cars from L.A last month under one crate. the cargo route is L.A to china to cebu. i don't know the procedure and the paperworks in L.A but all i know is the shipping expenses costs 400k Php. the shippin duration is 2 weeks approx. i think the costs also will depend on the car model and value also. if it doesn't have insurance, maybe the costs is a lil bit higher. duno ill stil clarify him on that.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by kuyapete View Post
    I had a chance to ride this brand new toyota sienna last month and i really liked the ride, the power, the legroom, heck, everything. and when I asked about the price, its not more expensive than the price of a previa here. Now, Im thinking of importing one for my own use.

Does anyone here have any experience with importing cars? what is the procedure and approximately how much taxes, shipping charges do I have to shell out?

Thanks for your advise.
    sadly if u pay the correct taxes ... magiging double the price or something close to 2x the price. kung wala lang tax pag nagkalat na mga lexus, infiniti dito. its a sad fact that we have to settle for crappy somewhat overpriced cars here.

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    Thank you Kyle618 and Newdriver. you are right, if it were that easy importing cars, we would have been flooded with imported luxury cars from everywhere.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    in addition, the car has to be registered in the u.s for at least 6 months before you can import it to the philippines. as a result, you have to consider storage expenses unless you have someone who's willing to store it for you for 6 months and then there's auto insurance of course! unless it's paid for totally and is off the streets. medyo maraming hassle. i guess you're better off purchasing one that is local showroom already unless cost is not really a concern.
    Last edited by lechon; July 3rd, 2007 at 11:52 AM. Reason: kulang sa verbage

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    How bout d other way around? Esp kung masyadong attached sa sasakyan. USA or Canada?

7. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    the other way around? pwede basta pre-75 yata? maraming napapadala sa states na luma katulad ng mga austin mini. although kadalasan '60 ang registration. i guess basta luma and emissions/smog exempt especially in california. medyo makulit lang sa u.s. customs at dapat complete ang paperwork mo. otherwise, there's a chance that your car will get impounded, crushed or "deported" back to the phils. at your expense! kung nakalusot, in california-there's the dept. of motor vehicles (dmv)...you have to pass the brake and light inspection and etc. in order to register it.
    Last edited by lechon; July 8th, 2007 at 11:01 PM. Reason: kulang sa info.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Any idea kung magkano kaya? Bago un sasakyan. 2006. Kesa ibenta ng palugi.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kuyapete View Post

Thanks for your advise.
    Taxes will depend on the importer and broker. People importing cars as their business will always pay less. Wala ng blue book value just like pacman do you think a brand new porsche cayenne is worth $25,000 only. My friend charges me $1,000 as his PF but I have to pay for everything regardless of make, model, and value. FYI you will spend more for a used than brand new car.

how do you import cars from the US