New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I just test drove the new Lancer at Powerplant and it sure was a great experience operating the CVT Sportronic transmission. I would have been sure to buy that if not for quality issues. Previous Mitsubishis were said to be unreliable in the long run, and I don't know if the Lancer will be just like these in the next few years.

Would any of you happen to know how I can assure myself of long term reliability of new cars? Please help me here, because I'm not erasing the Altis just yet in my options. I like the Lancer a lot, but I still have more confidence in Toyota cars due to their reputable quality.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    I suggest you wait for a while before deciding if you really like the Lancer. We had a 93 Lancer and had a lot of suspension problems with it until we recently sold it last year. My friend bought a 2002 Lancer last year and immediately had suspension problems.

3. yebo8 Guest
    i have a 2001 lancer mx, 16,000 km on the odo. so far no problems. i even drove this car on rough roads for a week in subic. ok lang naman. but of course the mx suspension is hard like that of the gsr. the suspension of the glx and gls models are softer.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    In every cars there is a lemon. You're asking how will it be in the future, well we don't know. But like what you said, Mitsubishis are known for some defects and Toyotas are known for good quality [reliability]. Well, I'd say you can go by those.

You don't self proclaim a reputation [good or otherwise]. Reputation is earned...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Mahirap magtiwala sa mga sabi-sabi or sa reputation when it comes to quality. Mahirap kasi i-quantify iyan and depende sa demographics ng buyer iyan.

For example, take my former Kia Besta. Siguro naman alam na ng lahat how lousy it's reputation is. Pero I owned one and it wasn't really that bad. The problem with most Kia owners is that they don't have the know how or the resources for proper maintenance. Napapabayaan ang mga sasakyan and may magloko lang ng konti sasabihin dahil sa lousy quality agad.

On the other hand, look at the Benzes. Halos bulletproof and reputation nila. Pero parts do break down once in a while. Yun nga lang, most owners don't consider it as a significant shortcoming kasi may pera naman sila at extra cars so hindi abala ang downtime.

We've driven a GEN I Pajero through hell and high waters. Suffice to say it literally clawed throught anything we threw at it. Now that's quality for us. Torture tested na. Of course may downtime pa rin but nothing out of the ordinary. Now, I'm happily driving a GEN II Pajero.

We have also tried Toyota. Ganun din naman ang quality. Nothing special. Mas mura pa piyesa ng Mitsubishi. Saka napaka-boring kasi ng image ng Toyota, eh (no offense sa mga Toyota peeps). I guess the marketing people should liven up things a bit.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    OTEP,

ashush sigurado akong kakagat ka sa LC80! :mrgreen:

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hehe... repressed kasi si Otep sa LC80. j/k

Actually, one of the better ways to find out is by not purchasing the car right away and giving it a year or two so that you can find out the problems that may arise from other owners/shops.

Then you can always research on the internet as well for the experiences/feedback from international markets.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    for brand new units, you really can't tell its reliability. even maski mga bimmers yan, i am sure merong lalabas and lalabas na problema dyan due to wear and tear. yun ang purpose ng warranty ng casa eh, for you to be protected in case the car you got has some problems.

in my case, i have been using lancers since 1991 (boxtypes, singkits, itlogs and my current pizza). no big problems or whatsoever. its just the usual wear and tear i always experience sa mga mechanical parts (suspension, airconditioning, etc.) its the hassle of having a car. you have to go by its usual maintenance and repair jobs pag end of life na yung mga parts nya.

its the same as having a computer, a household appliance or having a cellular phone. you will never see or experience a lemon until you get hold of one. :wink:

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tama kayo...like the e36 bmws...sakit nyan is yung door sidings madali magpeel off...pati yung mga rubber around the windows and door handles madali rumupok.
    Got Mazda?-http://www.MAZDAtech.org [SIZE="1"]est. 2000[/SIZE]
    got mazda 2? -> mazda2ners

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hindi tatagal ang Lancer as a favorite for over three decades
    kung masama ang reputasyon nito sa reliability. Next to
    the Corolla, Lancer talaga ang laging nasa top of the list
    ng mga potential buyers dahil nga reliable, easy to maintain,etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How can I know the quality of new cars?