New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    why dont you streth your budget a bit and get the new civic 1.8S at? i think this is one of the better buys in the market today but if these are the only choices, il go for the mazda 3 ... although the altis is really a very reliable car ...and if floods ang paguusapan ... i have one, umabot dati sa headlights yung baha yet the car still runs ... pero natakot na ako after hehehe but it didnt disappoint me ... and upto now running very well

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Hi everyone! thanks for all your input

A friend of mine also suggested the Civic so I did check it out.
    Sad to say, I didn't like the looks and the fact that (as niky said) I can't see the hood. My dad went to the dealer and checked it out too and had the same reaction. So I think Civic is probably out. ( I wish they had the previous design )

As for the "flood-prone" areas, maybe around 3-6 inch floods, not "malabon-type" floods. Sorry for the confusion :P
    We are kind of inclined towards a sedan instead of an SUV ... and I think our budget might not be enough for a good SUV? And also, don't SUV's consume more fuel?

By the way, stupid question coming (sorry )... what do you mean by the "air intake"? Is that the tube sticking out of a car? So the higher the tube the better? If your tube is a bit low, is there someway to make it "higher"?

I think we're probably down to Altis 1.6E, Mazda 1.6S, Mazda 1.6V and Ford Focus Trend 1.6. So if it's value for money, what would you guys choose?

BTW, niky, you said if its a M/T I should go for the Ford. Isn't its A/T version ok?

I really really appreciate all your answers. Thank you very much

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    yan ang in thing ngaun, you can't see the hood. even future concepts will be like that.

long hoods are as old as boxy suv's

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    what do you mean by the "air intake"?
    The car runs by combining air and fuel. The air intake is where air enters. Usually this is also under the hood. Just look for the air filter housing and you've found the air intake. Some air intakes have plastic tubes that snake it's way away from the air filter housing [aka the airbox]. Just find where it actually sucks in air to know how high off the ground the intake point is. On most cars it is at headlamp level.

Some SUV's better this by placing the intake near the back part of the engine compartment. So in the unfortunate case that you do submerge the whole face of the vehicle, you are still less likely to suck in water. When water enters the air intake and the engine, get ready to buy a new engine.

Among your choices, the Lancer is inexpensive because the platform has been in existence for quite a while already. Bawi na ang puhunan nila diyan. Plus the fact that the Lancer is one of the more underrated players in the segment. The vehicle itself is ok and will get the job done. But it doesn't have much flair or style to it.

The Mazda3 and Focus are kissing cousins. They also share the same platform with the Volvo S40. Same bones, different clothes.

The Toyota is also an old platform. But since its a Toyota, people will pay anything for it. It banks on core values like reliability and resale value. But considering how much better the competition is getting, I'm willing to gamble on other brands that offer more bang for less buck.

3. ABS is not needed for conservative driving. But you will need it for emergencies and you will thank yourself that you actually invested in it. However, ABS is not idiot proof also. Just as in a non-ABS vehicle, you also need to know how to maximize ABS. Some people just stomp their brakes. The objective of ABS is not to stop short of the obstacle but to be able to brake AND steer around the obstacle at the same time. The 'steering' part is what you usually lose in a non-ABS vehicle because skidding tires will not steer the vehicle. A lot of people in ABS equipped vehicles still forget to steer and still end up crashing [negating the advantages of ABS].

8. Nope. Engines of roughly the same displacement and carrying the same weight will usually have similar fuel economy figures. A little more or a little less but nothing drastic. It's your right foot that will be the determining factor.

9. Discs are less prone to fade during spirited driving. But drum brakes will work for most day to day commuting type driving. I'd rather have a disc-drum vehicle with ABS rather than an all disc vehicle without ABS.

10. Most modern vehicles are easy enough to handle.
    Last edited by OTEP; January 16th, 2007 at 04:09 AM.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    of your choices, I'll go for the Altis...for the resale value - I am quite positive that among the choices you have, the Altis will still command a high resale value when you want to sell it na.

base on porma, I'll pick the mazda3 hatch....but if i buy this, I probably won't sell it in the future....IMO medyo classic design nito that it would still be a maporma car para "bastusin" in the future - palitan engine and stuff like the honda hatch or the starlet of older times.

but that is just me.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Amongst your short-listed cars, the best value for your money is the Mazda3 1.6. It's a bit slower than the Corolla, but driven conservatively, fuel consumption is okay. Plus the interior is very special. My cousin has had the 1.6V for two years, already, and his interior is still fresh, and he's still very much enamored of the car.

The Corolla is okay, and it has a very efficient AT, but it doesn't feel nearly as special as either the Mazda3 or the Focus... and if someone brings up "resale value", the Mazda3's looks have kept its resale value respectable.

And, like OTEP and I (amongst others) like to point out... you don't buy a car as an investment. The moment you pay for the car, you're losing money anyway. That few thousand pesos in resale value you lose after five years have paid for the extra luxury and ownership priveleges of buying a better riding, handling and looking car.

The Focus is a very heavy car (that's what makes it feel as solid as a Mercedes), and even though it shares mechanical parts with the Mazda 1.6, the programming of the AT is sluggish in comparison. With a manual transmission, you'll get decent fuel economy and performance... I suggest, though, that you test drive it (there's a Ford test drive at Fort Bonifacio for Ford day... bring your parents along) to see if you can handle the clutch and stick. I find it easy to use, but some find the clutch too light.

-----

Take note: None of these are bad cars, not even the Corolla (it's just old). It's really just a personal choice on what you like and what you can live with. Keep visiting dealerships and looking at the cars, and try to wrangle test-drives from the dealers. Good luck!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    among your new choices, my first choice would be the focus, the second will be the mazda and the third choice will be the altis. all of them will give you your needs. but of course, if reliability will be your topmost concern, its the altis hands down.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Hi everyone!

Thank you very much .. again .. for all your comments and suggestion. I really learned a lot. Feeling may alam na ako ng konti sa kotse
    We will .. as niky said .. keep visiting dealerships.

Nakukulitan na yata sa amin .. at naghihintay na ng actual order/purchase
    Sa ibang dealership na lang kami titingin. hehehe.

BTW, my parents saw the Focus ... medyo yun na napupusuan dahil nga sa interior (lighter than Mazda3) at mas spacious (compared to Mazda). Di ko pa mapakawalan ang Mazda dahil gusto ko talaga exterior niya eh

One more round of car-shopping at sana maka-decide na kami.
    Thanks again :D

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Kung gusto nga nila yung Focus, remember the Ford day... January 27, Fort Bonifacio (just drive around and look for it... usually between the Shell station and McDo yung set-up ng outdoor tents nila).

I don't know if the Focus will be offered on test, but it's possible.

Happy shopping.
    Last edited by niky; January 16th, 2007 at 11:54 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    If you want something that you can use almost anywhere, get a compact SUV like Hyundai Tucson or KIA Sportage or the full size KIA Sorento.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
[Help] Getting more confused ...