New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Hi everyone! I've been reading the boards for more than a month and have finally decided to ask for your help in deciding which car to buy. This might be a bit long, sorry :P

Here are points for consideration:
    1. Quality - No need to consider resale value, but need to consider maintenance cost
    2. new-Lady driver (owner) - But will also be used by my parents
    3. Conservative driving - Is ABS a must?
    3. Sub-compact - Sedan
    4. A/T - (are there differences in A/T of different cars? does it matter?)
    5. Mostly city-driving with weekly Pampanga trips
    6. Passes flood-prone areas during rainy seasons (should I opt for bigger wheels, 15" against 14"?)
    7. Max 850T including insurance, LTO, etc.
    8. Fuel efficiency (SOHC vs DOHC? Does this affect FC?)
    9. Does having sold discs in rear breakes important?
    10. Easy handling (Is the suspension better in Mazda/Ford better than Toyota?)

Some info:
    1. Previous vehicle: Honda CR-V (1999) So we're used to SUVs
    2. Not too knowledgeable about cars (consider "known" brands?)
    3. Test drove 1.6G Altis but didn't like the woodgrain, found 1.6E lacking in specs for the price tag
    4. Test drove the mazda 3.0, found suspension better than altis

What we are currently considering (car price with discounts):
    1. Mazda 3.0 (1.6S or V) ~722000 and 759000
    (worried about the FC and maitenance cost, not too keen on the "dark" interior, and how will I know if its a 2007 or 2006 model? What does "activematic" mean?)
    2. Ford Trend (1.6) ~ 819,000
    (didn't like the "look" of the trend)
    3. Mitsubishi (GLS/MX) ~ 723000 and 798,000
    (is this a lemon car? what's INVECS3)
    4. Toyota Altis 1.6E ~776000
    (a bit expensive compared to Mazda 1.6S)

Final question, which month/time is it best to buy cars?
    Should the dealer matter?
    What should/can I demand from the S/A as "Plus" for my purchase?

Sorry for the long post. Any comments will be appreciated
    Thank you very much!!!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    get a civic ma'm hehehe.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Flood-prone areas? Definitely an SUV, not a car.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Just a little input from across the water . I am not sure on all the different models of cars you have there but here a Toyata is a good purchase . The Toyota Camry is one of the best selling cars here . It's considered one of the safest and great full economy with some nice comforts and a smooth ride . I hope this helps . Toyota has had a great success here with it's cars and trucks .:usa:

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by funnycar pilot View Post
    Just a little input from across the water . I am not sure on all the different models of cars you have there but here a Toyata is a good purchase . The Toyota Camry is one of the best selling cars here . It's considered one of the safest and great full economy with some nice comforts and a smooth ride . I hope this helps . Toyota has had a great success here with it's cars and trucks .:usa:
    SUV's and Pick ups Toyota, cars Honda

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Firstly, none of the cars you are looking at will be good at fording floods. The Mazda3 has the highest air intake of the lot, but it's still not a good "flood car". Best bet is: if the flood is bumper level, don't attempt to cross it. Even with a high intake, bow waves in front of the car and from passing trucks can push water up into the intake.

SOHC versus DOHC has less of an effect than the inherent efficiency of the engine itself and the efficiency of the transmission.

If you're considering an A/T car, I'd put the Honda Civic at the top of the list. Comfort-wise, the Mazda3 is also up there.

Rear disc brakes and ABS. No, it's not very important if you drive conservatively. In fact, the rear brakes have very little effect on braking power, overall. But ABS is helpful in the rain, as it'll help prevent spins and slides when you turn and brake at the same time. But if an accident happens too quickly for you to swerve out of the way, ABS won't help you stop any faster.

The Choices:

If handling is what you're after, the Mazda3 is the best of the lot. Very good steering, good brakes and terrific handling. Great interior, too. Only minus is a slow AT, but it's better than the same transmission in the Focus. Because of the good looks, the resale value of the Mazda3 is actually decent, too. It may be older than the Civic, but it still looks great inside and out. So far, there are no major headaches reported by Mazda3 owners.

The Civic's steering is a bit too light, and the shocks are kind of soft and floaty. The tires are likewise pretty uninspiring. Also, if you're not used to it, you might not like the fact that you can't see the hood of the car. Despite this, it's still better than the Altis, and more comfortable than most cars, and seat space is great. The engine is very good, and as efficient as the 1.6s, even if it's a 1.8 (expect 8 km/l in traffic with an AT). There are some niggling trim issues with the Civic, but as long as you pre-inspect the unit you buy, there should be no problems. This is a safe choice.

The Focus has the most sophisticated suspension of the group, better than the Civic's. Handling isn't as sharp as the Mazda, but it's still very good, and the car feels as solid as a rock... or a Mercedes. The Trend has cheap plastic, an average back seat, and a slow AT. BUT, this is the only car for the price which offers rear airconditioning, and the sound insulation is as good as expensive European cars. Despite the plastic, it really feels like an expensive car inside. If you can learn to drive an MT, this would be a good choice, and your parents would love the comfort.

The Corolla is the boring choice, but it's a practical car, easy to drive and with no major headaches. Suspension is a bit bouncy, and sound insulation isn't as good as the newer cars. Nice big rear seat, but that's all.

The Lancer offers lots for the money, but it's small compared to the newer cars, and the running gear is kind of ancient.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    get a civic ma'm hehehe.

agree on this... civics are "lady-driver friendly".

but then again, please define clearly what "type"of flood? but since you have mentioned that you are inclined towards sedan, i guess the it meant the normal ones which could be handled by sedans.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Regarding "flood ability": Best you go to each casa and ask to see the engine bays of the cars in question.

I'm foggy on what I saw when I checked out the Honda Civic 1.8 (I was only looking at the engine, not the air intake), but I'm pretty sure the air intake duct is headlight level.

Old Lancer air intakes are bumper level, but the new one might be different.

The Mazda3 has a relatively high air intake, hood level, I think.

The Ford Focus... not sure... but the Lynx had a hood level intake, I think the Focus might be similar.

----

Rule of thumb: wherever the tube of your intake is, you shouldn't cross floods where the intake is only a few inches higher than the flood, because bow waves from the car or from passing trucks may submerge it.

Like I've said before... if you're not using a snorkel equipped vehicle... if the water's touching the body, don't risk it. It's painful having a car dried out after a flood... it's even more painful repairing an engine that's been hydrolocked.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    here's my take:

Here are points for consideration:
    1. Quality - No need to consider resale value, but need to consider maintenance cost

- maintenance cost - Toyota Altis of course, the resale value is a bonus, that is, if you dont mind buying now as the new model is about to be released. Better wait for the next gen.

2. new-Lady driver (owner) - But will also be used by my parents

- I think most cars will be ok for a lady driver.

3. Conservative driving - Is ABS a must?

- ABS is a must for safety.

3. Sub-compact - Sedan

- Vios or Jazz,

The CIvic, ALtis, Mazda3 are all compact sedans.

4. A/T - (are there differences in A/T of different cars? does it matter?)

- A/T is perfect especially for city driving. in my experience, Toyota's A/T is still the best.

5. Mostly city-driving with weekly Pampanga trips

- A/T then!

6. Passes flood-prone areas during rainy seasons (should I opt for bigger wheels, 15" against 14"?)

- consider MPV or SUV na lang.

7. Max 850T including insurance, LTO, etc.

- now I'm confused too! hehe

8. Fuel efficiency (SOHC vs DOHC? Does this affect FC?)

- no

9. Does having sold discs in rear breakes important?

- no,

10. Easy handling (Is the suspension better in Mazda/Ford better than Toyota?)

- or do you mean easy to drive? Altis is easy to drive, Mazda 3 has nice handling.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    uy kapampangan..taga nokarin ka?

forget about fording flood waters on a sedan...
    get the 1.8 civic AT...yung pearl white...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
[Help] Getting more confused ...