The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Here are the criteria:
    *Budget is Php 400,000.00
    *1997 model-year or newer
    *A good all around vehicle
    *Not too common (e.g. no Civics and Corollas)
    *Easy enough to maintain
    *Preferably a sedan, wagon, compact truck, or SUV (no vans please)
    *Not converted to LHD or surplus from another country (in short, a locally sold unit)

Can you guys help me out?

Here are some models that seem to fall within said criteria:
    *Suzuki Jimnys and Esteems
    *Opels (Vectra, Astra)
    *Nissan Sentra B14 Exaltas
    *Volvo 850 sedans and wagons

Any other units? Thanks so much!

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    hmmm, anything but the opels. though you could get astra 2000 models for 200+k (even heard an omega got sold for 285k), ang hirap ng parts, konting shops ang willing magrepair - and if ever, dont expect it to be cheap

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I guess it shouldn't be a 1.6 as you already crossed out the best cars in that class.

The Suzuki Jimny is one willing small vehicle. In an off-road test, it even shamed the Porsche Cayenne. Land Rover testers were impressed in what it can do. It might not be friendly on-road though with a ride that is not carlike and pace slower than a regular 1.3-liter car (its engine is the same size by the way).

I would not really recommend the Opels and Volvos. Other than the brand, nothing else is really special, and they won't leave you without a headache in maintenance.

With your budget, you can go for a 2-liter car, maybe a late 90s Accord.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    my friend is selling his 1988 BMW 525i (E34) for that price.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    i've heard from a dealer ng suzuki that the jimny is matagtag... parang jeep daw ang configuration ng suspension and leaf springs ang gamit both front and back. also, pag sa highway daw, kapag may magovertake sa iyo na bigger vehicles like buses, parang liliparin daw yun car... unstable daw eh... not sure though... nag pakita kasi sila ng model units sa school eh... mas maganda pa rin daw grand vitara in terms of ride quality

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    On the Exalta, there are a lot on the market. It's just a matter of finding one with the best condition/price. You can also insert the '01 model N16 Exalta Grandeur at that price range also (there are some '01 models that can be negotiated to around P370K).

Sa Suzuki Jimny, parang i saw one in Autocamp last week nung kumain kami sa Hot RAcks (color black).

Pati BMW 316i's meron na rin sa price range na yan but condition is a big question mark. The maintainance factor will be against getting an Opel and Volvo over the Jimny, Sentra, etc.

Other possibles in the 2.0L category:
    - '97 to '99 Nissan Cefiro (tapos kabit mo ng 17's or 18's :D)
    - '97 to '98 Corona Exsior
    - '97 Accord

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    bmw 36 :D may mga 97 models naman oteps

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I'd pick the older Exalta over the newer used Grandeurs. Just make sure there are absolutely NO electrical or AC problems, as they can be a pain. The older Exalta has a decent ride, NICE interior and lots of gadgets. They're a relative bargain.

A lot of newer Ford Lynx Ghias also fit within your budget. They're better to drive than Exaltas, and have a similar level of equipment.

Kasya din ata mga RAV4 sa budget mo... those are not so common, and really nice. You get Toyota reliability without resorting to a Corolla.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    We already have an 850 GLE wagon and Volvos are not really a nightmare to maintain. Though having a 2.5l engine can be a bit of an overkill here in the metro.

The Jimny has a suspension system identical to the Nissan Patrol GQ and GU (the latest model). Maybe the short wheelbase is what gives it the un-carlike ride. The Jimny at autocamp is a Jimny Special. Lagpas na sa budget pero mukhang ok sana yung unit.

Medyo umiiwas din sana sa 2.0 and above engine due to potential fuel economy.

Thanks for the advice. Siguro try to scout for Vitaras and Jimnys muna. Keep the comments coming! Thanks!

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    umm...Gen I Citys?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Help in choosing pre-owned vehicle...