New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    gearspeed, siguro tunog filing cabinet yang LG-1 na yan hahahaha! naalala mo yung Geely HA1.0 sa Promenade?

2. Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by number001
    I read somewhere that the Chinese manufacturer did show up for the Detroit Auto Show only before the show opened and after the show opened they packed up and left. Their reason: they want to present themselves to the press but chose to leave early since it is not yet time to sell directly to American consumers.
    Yup, actually they said it themselves the car is not US compliant but they would soon setup dealership within a year. Impressive if you ask me. But I admire their passion, this trait will push themselves to strive and improve and work hard.

Guys, remember how Korea started off with their cars? Like the kia pride in the 90's? And now they have the Sorento?

I saw in the news some american companies are worried. They said this(geely) was an offspring of car companies shifting their business to china. That the expertise brought in by the international community was learnt by their local counterparts and are now bieng applied thru their own business.

I admit its not a car I would choose to buy, but maybe give them a few years or maybe a big time auto manufacturer buys the geely company, an infusion of cash flow(and technology) may suddenly set it off to Japanses car standards.

The headlights look like it was taken from a Merc S class hehe

Eto yun story from MSN Carpoint Kelan kaya magkakaroon ng Pinoy Car sa NAIAS? hehe

Chinese Automaker Coming to U.S.

For the first time in the 90-year history of the NAIAS, a Chinese car company is displaying a vehicle in Detroit.

Geely Automobile Co. of Hangzhou, China, also made history at the 2006 NAIAS with the first-ever press conference by a Chinese auto manufacturer. The privately owned Geely announced it is “on track” with plans to sell cars to American consumers starting in calendar 2008.

“Our mission here in Detroit is not to sign up distributors [car dealers],” said John Harmer, vice president of Geely USA, a wholly-owned subsidiary. “It’s to introduce ourselves to the media.”

But the introductions are just the beginning. Shufu Li, chairman of Geely Holding Co., who founded the fledgling Chinese carmaker, and Harmer have been testing 12 of their cars in the U.S. since last July.

And while Geely’s compact 7151 CK sedan was on display in the Geely booth at the NAIAS, Harmer said the car that will be on sale in the U.S., starting in about a year and a half, will be a more modern successor.

“The car you see here does not meet all U.S. safety and emissions standards,” he said. “Within 18 months, we expect we can have this car totally compliant.”

He added that Geely is likely to begin setting up U.S. dealerships—with American car dealers who already sell other brands—in about a year. “We have plenty of [dealers] bringing us their business cards,” Harmer said.

The yet-to-be-named car will be “a prized automobile for a young family that doesn’t want to go into debt for five to seven years,” he said. “It won’t have a global satellite navigation system but it will last for 10 years.”

A recent survey of consumers released last month by Directions Research said 25 percent of people surveyed said they’d be interested in buying a Chinese vehicle.

Harmer added that Geely test cars driven on U.S. roads so far are averaging 25 miles per gallon in the city and 35 mpg on the highway. Prices are expected to be around $10,000.

Harmer indicated Geely is carefully studying its entry in the U.S. and is optimistic it will sell “at least 25,000 vehicles” the first year. “By our fifth year, our target is to sell 100,000,” Harmer said, adding, “We’re confident we’ll achieve [our goal].”

But he acknowledged a couple problems: U.S. - Chinese trade issues and the negative image that Chinese products have in the U.S. in terms of quality.

The Geely display isn’t on the official show floor of the NAIAS. Rather, Geely is in a concourse of the Cobo Center. But NAIAS Co-Chair Richard Genthe presented the Geely chairman with a plaque to recognize the historic attendance of a first Chinese carmaker at a show in the heart of the Motor City.

The Geely press conference drew a lot of attention. Even major networks such as CBS had cameras at the event.
    Last edited by cardo; January 20th, 2006 at 09:59 AM.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Oh my Geely-lee...

grabe...

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    they might as well use the theme song from pinoy big brother with chinese lyrics

5. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    if i were them, instead of pirating the cars...why not pirate the personnel?
    hire engineers from Toyota, Nissan, Honda etc...to work for them. better start something orig then sell it at firesale prices instead of what they're doing now... firesale prices cuz its imitated.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    kalokohan yang geely n yan!!! naglabas sila ng "sportcar" last year at medyo kinopya nila logo ng BMW...magaganda pa quality ng sarao natin dyan.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08
    if i were them, instead of pirating the cars...why not pirate the personnel?
    hire engineers from Toyota, Nissan, Honda etc...to work for them. better start something orig then sell it at firesale prices instead of what they're doing now... firesale prices cuz its imitated.
    mahal ang bayad pag nagpirate sila hehehe. masmura local labor sa china dami pa

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    ang mangyayari naman...who's gonna buy that outside China?

9. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    so whats next? Geely badged LS460, IS350? yikes!

btw, meron na rin Geely Corolla Altis. Hanapin ko pics

10. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    WOW sana dalhin yan dito nang Commercial Motors yang Geely LG-1 pero sayang dahil patay na ang Geely raw ayon sa isang dealer dapat ng Geely,ewan ko kung dalhin yan dito.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Geely LG-1, once more with feelings [renamed]