New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    1. baket mas madaming FWD kesa RWD?

2. is it true mas mahirap ibaba ung makina ng FWDs compared to RWDs?

3. is it true that RWDs, on its own, have a lot less control at high speeds?

4. do all RWD cars have their engines positioned a certain way, i.e. inline as opposed to sideways on FWDs?

5. ung AUVs and PUJs ba natin e all RWDs?

6. vans/trucks(unless AWD) = RWDs?

7. di ba issue ung transmission of power/torque sa RWD coz it has to transmit it through the driveshaft way back to the rear wheels?

8. FWDs have a lower maximum speed as compared to RWDS, i.e. around 140kph?

9. which offers more control?

10. do transfer cases on AWDs, when going 4 x 2, allow you to shift power to either the front or rear, or sa rear wheels lang?(first time ko nakakita ng xfer case on a reconditioned pajero last last week)

11. are RWDs generally more expensive to manufacture/maintain?

mga bosing, baka pagmulan na naman to ng flames ha....objective answers lang po sana B).

2. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    1. baket mas madaming FWD kesa RWD? - FWD IS CHEAPER TO PRODUCE. SMALLER TRANNY, NO NEED FOR REAR DIFFERENTIAL & DRIVESHAFT ETC...

2. is it true mas mahirap ibaba ung makina ng FWDs compared to RWDs? NO NAMAN, IT REALLY DEPENDS ON THE LAYOUT OF THE ENGINE AND HOW TIGHT IT IS IN THE ENGINE BAY.

3. is it true that RWDs, on its own, have a lot less control at high speeds? WHERE DID YOU GET THIS INFO? LOOK AT HIGH PERFORMANCE CARS LIKE FERARRI, PORSCHE MERCEDES BMW ETC... MOST OF THESE CARS RELY ON A PURELY RWD LAYOUT.

4. do all RWD cars have their engines positioned a certain way, i.e. inline as opposed to sideways on FWDs? NOPE, AGAIN, THIS IS DEPENDENT ON THE MANUFACTURER. YOU CAN POSITION ENGINES IN ANY MANNY YOU LIKE AND IT IS THE TRANNY THAT HAS TO BE FACING THE REAR.

CRV, RAV4 ETC ARE ALL FWD UNLESS THEY ARE AWD IN WHICH CASE POWER IS ONLY TRANSFERRED TO THE REAR IN TIMES THAT THE FRONT WHEELS ARE SLIPPING

LITE ACE VANETTE ETC ARE ALL FWD.

7. di ba issue ung transmission of power/torque sa RWD coz it has to transmit it through the driveshaft way back to the rear wheels?
    YES, MAS MALAKI LOSSES NILA KAYSA FWD

8. FWDs have a lower maximum speed as compared to RWDS, i.e. around 140kph?
    NOPE, I'VE GONE UP TO 240+ KPH IN MY CIVIC. IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE POWER YOUR ENGINE MAKES

9. which offers more control?
    BOTH ARE EASY TO LOSE CONTROL OF IF YOU DRIVE LIKE A MANIAC. IN NORMAL CASES THEY SHOULD BE ABOUT THE SAME. FOR RACING THO I'D GO WITH A RWD SET-UP. OR BETTER YET AWD LIKE AN EVO OR SUBARU

10. do transfer cases on AWDs, when going 4 x 2, allow you to shift power to either the front or rear, or sa rear wheels lang?(first time ko nakakita ng xfer case on a reconditioned pajero last last week)
    USUALLY, PREDOMINANTLY FWD YUNG LOCAL AWD'S THEN WHEN KELANGAN LANG PUMUPUNTA SA REAR YUNG POWER.

11. are RWDs generally more expensive to manufacture/maintain?
    YES

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    salamat sa mga sagot B).

speedyfix:3. is it true that RWDs, on its own, have a lot less control at high speeds? WHERE DID YOU GET THIS INFO? LOOK AT HIGH PERFORMANCE CARS LIKE FERARRI, PORSCHE MERCEDES BMW ETC... MOST OF THESE CARS RELY ON A PURELY RWD LAYOUT.
    sa dec 2003 issue ng C!...di naman explicitly sinabi ng ganyan...parang nasabi lang na RWDs used to have problems sa sudden braking/turning at high speeds, but that car manufacturers have already addressed this problem via some proprietary solutions

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the point in (3) about rwd being harder to control in turns is false, but people tend to believe this because inexperienced drivers lose control more easily in rwd cars - because of their tendency to oversteer (spin out) at the limit of traction/adhesion, and especially if you lift your foot off the gas in mid-turn. this is opposed to fwd that understeers (car tends to go straight when you want it to turn) and is therefore more 'idiot-proof'. this is also why the answer to (9) is fwd, between the two. but yes, awd/4wd is the most stable.

(8) yes, how fast you go depends on the power on the engine and the aerodynamics of the car. but it is true that the most powerful cars are generally rwd (or awd)...this is because powerful fwd cars have a tendency to be unstable on acceleration, a phenomenon known as torque steer, because of their transverse (sideways) orientation

which brings us to (4) orientation - there are exceptions of course, but most rwd cars are vertically mounted, and most fwd cars are sideways. this makes sense if you think about it - engines make their power at either end of the block, and if the engine is mounted sideways, the wheels are right next to the ends of the block - so easy connection. kapag rwd naman, the end of the block is the drivetrain if the engine is mounted vertically, so it's easy to hook up.
    Last edited by empy; January 23rd, 2004 at 02:39 PM.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    clarifications lang po....

CRV, RAV4 ETC ARE ALL FWD UNLESS THEY ARE AWD IN WHICH CASE POWER IS ONLY TRANSFERRED TO THE REAR IN TIMES THAT THE FRONT WHEELS ARE SLIPPING
    i think he meant meant jeepneys, anfras, tamaraws, assembled AUV's, etc.

the answer would be yes. coz the chassis/engines are mostly based on pick-ups, small trucks (mga elf), etc. aside from that, these vehicles are designed for heavy loads concentrated at the rear. so a RWD wld be more advantagous and logical.

LITE ACE VANETTE ETC ARE ALL FWD.
    am not sure about the vanette but the liteace, L300 and pregio are definitely RWD. trucks too are RWDs. its the mini-vans like kia carnival and honda odyssey are FWDs.

peace!

badkuk,

i guess its safe to say that large vehicles designed for heavy loads are RWD's. if u really want to know, try checking underneath the vehicles. If you see a large axle connecting the rear wheels and a big sphere in-between, then its a RWD.

correct me if im wrong but doesnt AWD mean All-Wheel Drive or fulltime 4-wheel drive? then it doesnt go into 4x2. this is what the RAV4 and forrester have. in the 4x4 CRV's case, its Realtime 4WD. meaning it only goes to 4WD when it detects a slippage in the front wheels. its mostly FWD. as far as i know, in part-time 4WD's or simply 4WD's, its the rear that's the default drive. u only transfer power to the front.
    Last edited by coiter; January 23rd, 2004 at 03:50 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    USUALLY, PREDOMINANTLY FWD YUNG LOCAL AWD'S THEN WHEN KELANGAN LANG PUMUPUNTA SA REAR YUNG POWER.

I just have to disagree with you kapatid and highly agree with coiter. AWD is full time all the time AWD and cannot be categorized under 4X4 or 4X2. Maybe if you rephrase it to: HOW MUCH POWER IS TRANSFERRED to the rear, I may agree with you. Because all four has power...all the time.

The Beauty of AWD.

edit: for any one's reference

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/four-wheel-drive.htm

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The MB100 is front wheel drive.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    RWDs (as compared to FWDs) have beter acceleration givent he same engine and drivetrain on the same overall car weight due to the "recoil" effect of the engine. when a FWD accelerates, the "recoil" translates to downward force of the rear end of the car against the ground, thus, power being dragged/lost to downward force. for RWD, accelerating translates the "recoil" to lifting the front end of the car, thus, adding to the forward rotation of the rear wheels so more energy is spent on forward motion as compared to FWDs.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yup, the rearward weight transfer during hard acceleration improves the traction of the drive wheels in rear-drivers (which is an advantage) and hinders the traction of the drive wheels in front-drivers (which is disadvantageous).

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    and that is why the JDM drag "tukod" stance was born. its those racer boys who lift just their rear suspensions to compensate for the recoil effect that their fwd cars make.

lately i havent seen these boys....maybe they tumbled when they encountered a corner :D

FWD, RWD questions